Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

Hey everybody! So I was really involved in this thread last fall and this past spring during the hectic application and interview process.. and especially match day! And I know how crazy and overwhelming all of this can be. I was so excited to be accepted into a few programs and to find the perfect fit for me. I say all of this because this forum helped me so much in preparing and staying calm during a stressful time. So definitely utilize this during the process. :) Also feel free to utilize me if I can be of any help to any of you! I'm a first year student currently and would love to help answer any questions for those in the application process and be a resource for you! Feel free to message me anytime :) Best of luck to all of you and I'm so excited for the next group of genetic counselors! 

On 10/11/2017 at 2:15 PM, electric_umbrella said:

Hi Guys! Has anyone started the CSU Stan application yet? For the essay, are we supposed to write one essay that generally responds to those questions or address each question specifically? Thanks, and hope everyone is doing okay!

The instructions say to write an essay, so I would just try to write an essay and make sure it encompasses all your answers to their questions :)

On 10/8/2017 at 7:17 AM, JN212 said:

I was wondering if anyone knew for a fact that there was a specific page length for our resumes/Cvs for applications. Even though this is my second time applying you would think I would know this by know. But, I was curious if anyone knew for a fact that there was a definite page max.  I figured most resumes are 2 pages and Cvs are anything over 2 pages however, I wasn't sure if most programs would prefer it only be 2 pages long. Last year I had no problem keeping it down to 2 pages but this year I have a lot more experience to list and describe and wasn't sure if 2 pages was still recommended. North Carolina's program wants you to include so much detail about your experience and education but still lists their paper as a resume. Sorry for the rambling but any thoughts?

Honestly last year I submitted a one page resume to every school and tailored according to what it wanted (which like you mentioned was pretty easy except for schools that ask for a ton of information to be included). I felt as an undergrad still I really didn't have much I needed to include that went over a page. This year I will likely lengthen it for those that allow CVs. Likely no more than 2 pages still.  I will submit a one page resume to any school that asks for just a resume though.

Hi guys, I've just come across this thread (and that of applications for 2017) and I am very glad that I have found you! I'm a university student in New Zealand studying Genetics, Psychology and Exercise Science, and I have been trying to figure out how to apply to Genetic Counselling programs as an international student. I notice that some universities (I am interested in Canada, but if possible would apply in USA) require a course in Embryology. This isn't offered in New Zealand, and I was advised to enrol at the University of Cincinnati Clinical Embryology course. 

Have any of you completed this course, or have you got any advice for me as an international student? To train as a Clinical Geneticist, and you first must complete your medical degree (6 years), then attain a postgraduate degree in clinical genetics; otherwise you can train as a Genetic Associate (which is most like the Genetic Counselling degrees overseas) and this is usually obtained by an international Masters qualification.

My biggest concerns are that in New Zealand I am assuming I wouldn't be able to get as much experience as you guys would - patient confidentiality would prevent me from getting any shadowing experience, we don't have organisations such as Planned Parenthood, and I am not sure how well the courses for my degree align with international ones. 

I am volunteering with a Youth Crisis helpline, and in the ED at my local hospital. My major is Genetics, which has a lot of DNA Tech and lab work as well as a lot of theory in human and mammalian development. 

Are any of you able to provide any more information or any advice? I'll be finishing my degree at the end of 2018 (different calendar years), which would mean I would begin applications in September 2019.

Thank you!

9 hours ago, AspiringGC said:

Honestly last year I submitted a one page resume to every school and tailored according to what it wanted (which like you mentioned was pretty easy except for schools that ask for a ton of information to be included). I felt as an undergrad still I really didn't have much I needed to include that went over a page. This year I will likely lengthen it for those that allow CVs. Likely no more than 2 pages still.  I will submit a one page resume to any school that asks for just a resume though.

Thank you for your input I appreciate it. I spoke to various program directors this past week regarding resume/CV length. According to them there is no page limit and is not a huge factor in the application process. 

Edited by JN212

On 10/10/2017 at 12:40 PM, saidawg said:

Hi guys! I'm an international junior in college right now and have just decided that I want to pursue Genetic Counseling in the future so I was wondering if you could look at my stats and give me some advice about areas that I could improve/ should be worried about lol.

I'm getting a B.S in Biotechnology at Penn State. I have a 3.2 cgpa right now but am very sure that I'm going to graduate with at least a 3.4 (is a 3.4/3.45 any good, honestly?), and my major gpa is going to be around 3.6/3.7, if that matters. I've gotten As/Bs in all the courses that most programs require (chemistry, organic chemistry, biology, biochemistry, genetics, statistics) but need to take another Psych class since I have a C+ in the only one I took freshman year. I basically started college with a 2.8 gpa, but show gradual improvement in my transcript over the years (3.0 in sophomore year, going to end junior year with 3.3, will hopefully graduate with 3.4).

Things that I've done/ have signed up to do soon:

- Learning assistant for an organic chemistry class - hold weekly workshops and office hours to help students with homework + help students with questions during class as well ( have done 6 months)

- Active member of Science Lionpride Ambassadors club - I basically represent the college of science at alumni events and orientation events for new students, give special science tours to prospective science students and raise money for THON (largest student run philanthropy in the world. (will have done 2 years)

- On site coordinator for Student Red Cross club - I mentor and supervise student volunteers during blood drives and engage with blood donors ( will have done 60 hours over 2 years)

- Bio behavioral health research - I'm working at a lab that is studying the effects of nicotine on learning an memory. Right now I'm being trained in lab techniques, will start assisting the grad students next semester (will have done 2 years)

- Best buddies - I've applied to this organization to be paired with a student with a disability and help him/her with homework and just college life in general (will do for 1.5 years)

- Centre helps - I've applied to volunteer at this crisis hotline for people struggling with alcohol, drugs and emotional support (will do for 1.5 years)

- Geisinger - I'm going to shadow a genetic counselor at a Geisinger Hospital next summer for a month-ish

Apart from all that, I'm planning on taking the GRE as soon as I graduate (Spring '19), and apply to programs at the end of 2019. i'm looking into UMich (#1 choice), Thomas Jefferson, Sarah Lawrence, UPitt, Indiana, Brandeis, UBoston, Emory and John Hopkins.

I'm thinking about getting letters of recommendation from the professor that i was a learning assistant for for 6 months, the professor whose lab I work in and the genetic counselor that I'm going to shadow. (I can send in the letters on my own when I'm applying to programs, right?)

SOOOOOOOOOOO, what do you guys think?????!!!!!

Any advice/ opinion would be greatly appreciated! <3

@saidawg It sounds like you have a lot of things you plan on doing, and they all seem to be on the right track. One thing I would maybe change is instead of getting letters of rec from two professors, get one from a professor and one from your crisis hotline. Advocacy is one of the most important things on the application and a letter of rec from your advocacy experience will carry more weight than two professor letters in my opinion. Also, letters of rec are typically submitted electronically directly from the person recommending you. I'm not sure if there is an actual rule, but I personally have never heard of an applicant submitting their own letters of rec that were given to them ahead of time. 

3 hours ago, Brit0312 said:

Hi guys, I've just come across this thread (and that of applications for 2017) and I am very glad that I have found you! I'm a university student in New Zealand studying Genetics, Psychology and Exercise Science, and I have been trying to figure out how to apply to Genetic Counselling programs as an international student. I notice that some universities (I am interested in Canada, but if possible would apply in USA) require a course in Embryology. This isn't offered in New Zealand, and I was advised to enrol at the University of Cincinnati Clinical Embryology course. 

Have any of you completed this course, or have you got any advice for me as an international student? To train as a Clinical Geneticist, and you first must complete your medical degree (6 years), then attain a postgraduate degree in clinical genetics; otherwise you can train as a Genetic Associate (which is most like the Genetic Counselling degrees overseas) and this is usually obtained by an international Masters qualification.

My biggest concerns are that in New Zealand I am assuming I wouldn't be able to get as much experience as you guys would - patient confidentiality would prevent me from getting any shadowing experience, we don't have organisations such as Planned Parenthood, and I am not sure how well the courses for my degree align with international ones. 

I am volunteering with a Youth Crisis helpline, and in the ED at my local hospital. My major is Genetics, which has a lot of DNA Tech and lab work as well as a lot of theory in human and mammalian development. 

Are any of you able to provide any more information or any advice? I'll be finishing my degree at the end of 2018 (different calendar years), which would mean I would begin applications in September 2019.

Thank you!

@Brit0312 I'm currently taking the Cincinnati clinical embryology course and I know a few others have taken it as well. It's a nice set up, you get a year to complete it at your own pace. As for shadowing, the NSGC website has recorded videos of genetic counseling sessions online that you can watch, which many programs will recommend for those who don't have shadowing opportunities in their area. The main thing they want to see is that you know what the career entails. Also, with you major being genetics, I would think your courses align pretty well with the pre-req's that the graduate programs require. If you have any questions about them specifically, I would just reach out to a program you are interested in and ask them. One last thing -- you can apply to programs while still finishing up your degree. You say you will finish at the end of 2018, so if you wanted you would be able to start applications September 2018, because the school year doesn't begin until the following year in September 2019. There are many applicants in the US who don't graduate until May of 2018 who have already started applications with the intent to begin the master's program in September 2018. 

43 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

I think for @Brit0312 the school year is “backwards”. So they likely will be finishing December 2018.. which would be too late to get into a program here in 2018

Right, but they could start applications in fall 2018 for admission fall 2019. They way I understood the initial comment was they weren't planning to start applications until fall 2019 for admission fall 2020. 

14 hours ago, GC12018 said:

Should we be submitting FAFSAs to prospective schools as the application came out earlier this month? Or should we hold off until we get accepted somewhere?

Yep! Definitely get it done now and don't wait till acceptance. You can put in up to 10 schools, so as long as you aren't applying to more it should matter. The only reason to wait would be if you are applying to more than 10 then waiting till maybe interview invites might be better so that you don't have to go back later to update schools. FAFSA always says something about if you wait too long any grant money and things like that might be already used up too. Plus its nice to feel like you got something checked off your list!

2 hours ago, hfj23 said:

Hey everyone, I was at Michigan's open house yesterday if anyone has questions about what it seems like they're looking for in an applicant :) 

I was originally planning on applying to Michigan but then found out that they don't accept AP credit for any of their pre-reqs (stats, in my case) :( Which is a bummer because I liked the look of their program and I have family in Ann Arbor!

Hi everyone!

Amidst all of the craziness of app season, I wanted to wish everyone the best of luck and to keep pushing! I know that this is one of the toughest processes to go through, but in the end, it will all be worth it when we are one step closer to achieving our dreams. It is my first time applying this fall and it's all been a whirlwind of crazy, but I'm just going to do everything I can to put my best food forward! I also know (only too well) about the dangers of procrastination which I am hoping to avoid as much as I can! I hope everyone continues to work hard, but also to practice self care. We're almost there!!

Side note: I want to thank everyone on this forum! Honestly, you all amazing and I would not have been able to go through this process without you guys. All of the advice and love is so great and I am stoked to be a part of this community. I would not have met some awesome people otherwise! 

17 hours ago, Nefelibata said:

I was originally planning on applying to Michigan but then found out that they don't accept AP credit for any of their pre-reqs (stats, in my case) :( Which is a bummer because I liked the look of their program and I have family in Ann Arbor!

I'm not surprised they don't take AP credit lol I'm from the area and go to a school nearby. Michigan is extremely admirable in terms of research but they're known to think they're the best and no other school can match them which I know from experience is false especially when it comes to undergraduate education. They seem great for grad school because classes are much smaller but it's annoying how they always have to be different. Like other schools just require a personal statement and they require 4 separate essays /: Not as bad as Cincinnati's video essay though i guess...i'm not looking forward to doing that! 

2 hours ago, hfj23 said:

I'm not surprised they don't take AP credit lol I'm from the area and go to a school nearby. Michigan is extremely admirable in terms of research but they're known to think they're the best and no other school can match them which I know from experience is false especially when it comes to undergraduate education. They seem great for grad school because classes are much smaller but it's annoying how they always have to be different. Like other schools just require a personal statement and they require 4 separate essays /: Not as bad as Cincinnati's video essay though i guess...i'm not looking forward to doing that! 

I'm not sure Cincinnati's video essay is actually required. There was discussion on the grad cafe board last year about it. I'll have to go back and look but I thought someone said it wasn't actually required!

32 minutes ago, Nefelibata said:

I'm not sure Cincinnati's video essay is actually required. There was discussion on the grad cafe board last year about it. I'll have to go back and look but I thought someone said it wasn't actually required!

It says on the application that it's not required but highly recommended, which means they probably won't consider people who don't do it 

Edited by hfj23

Hi guys,

Sorry to keep bothering everyone but I have two questions:

1. Some schools want all classes you've taken that are relevant to GC. I have quite a few (more than 15) classes that are relevant. Should I still list them all or just pick a few? Or make a note to see my transcript for other related courses?

2. Is anyone using interfolio (an online dossier service) for their letters of rec? I am nervous to ask my letter writers to upload to 10 different schools but I don't want to run the risk of my letters not being accepted either.

Thanks so much for being awesome everyone. I feel like I'm going crazy.

1 hour ago, electric_umbrella said:

Hi guys,

Sorry to keep bothering everyone but I have two questions:

1. Some schools want all classes you've taken that are relevant to GC. I have quite a few (more than 15) classes that are relevant. Should I still list them all or just pick a few? Or make a note to see my transcript for other related courses?

2. Is anyone using interfolio (an online dossier service) for their letters of rec? I am nervous to ask my letter writers to upload to 10 different schools but I don't want to run the risk of my letters not being accepted either.

Thanks so much for being awesome everyone. I feel like I'm going crazy.

Where are you listing the courses? If it’s just a section on the application go ahead and list all of them. If you’re thinking of including these in your personal statement, stick to a few core classes. 

I’ve never heard of, or used a site like that. I wouldn’t worry about asking your recommenders to upload to 10 different sites. It’s honestly pretty easy, they get sent an email and open the link to follow the instructions and done. The hard part is writing the letter, not uploading it. They wouldn’t have agreed if they weren’t going to put in the effort. 

Does anyone know how generous the private schools are with financial aid? I am really interested in Emory and Baylor...but I don't know how doable it would be. There's only so much you can tell from the website about their scholarships, etc. 

2 hours ago, hopetobeGC said:

Does anyone know how generous the private schools are with financial aid? I am really interested in Emory and Baylor...but I don't know how doable it would be. There's only so much you can tell from the website about their scholarships, etc. 

A cool thing with the new match system is you can go on the participating program page on their website and see which "tracks" they have. These are broken off into different financial aid options that someone could be accepted by. It also allows you come ranking time to be able to rank Emory for example as #1 only if you got a scholarship and also rank Emory last without a scholarship. 

Here's the web page:  https://natmatch.com/gcadmissions/directory/participating-programs.html

For Baylor, it looks like they are not giving scholarships this year, likely due to being a new program. Though their tuition did seem to be reasonable, especially for being a private school. Emory on the other hand has 5 tracks, 4 of which offer scholarships ranging from $2000 to $5000. I am not sure if they have a similar set up to UTHealth where if given a scholarship you also get in-state tuition, definitely something that you should look into. 

Edited by AspiringGC

2 hours ago, hopetobeGC said:

I would recommend watching the recording of Baylor's webinar. They talk about scholarships/grants and financial aid in it.

@electric_umbrella Some applications I've seen specifically ask if you're using a dossier. For the ones that don't, you could contact the program and ask if it's okay.

Edited by Nefelibata

Hello all!

A question more for second cycle applicants... forcing myself to think confidently and optimistically, what days of the weeks to interviews usually fall on? I'm planning my coursework and would ideally like to miss as little school as possible. Here's to hoping I actually get some interviews :rolleyes:

26 minutes ago, skburz said:

Hello all!

A question more for second cycle applicants... forcing myself to think confidently and optimistically, what days of the weeks to interviews usually fall on? I'm planning my coursework and would ideally like to miss as little school as possible. Here's to hoping I actually get some interviews :rolleyes:

I had four interviews last cycle and one was on Monday, two were on Friday, and the last one was a two day interview on Thursday and Friday. It seems like most of them are either Friday or Monday.