Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

To any second round applicants: Was the GRE an issue for anyone who had sub-par scores in one category (ie. in the 47th percentile in one category but above the 70th in the others)? When you received feedback was that something that was brought up?

I appreciate it! I'm applying for this round and am a little scared about that aspect of my application.

Edited by KG203040

@GCBrittany I do Bereavement Peer Support volunteering.  It's not that out of the ordinary, but it's a bit different from crisis lines because I'm assigned to one person for a long stretch of time.  Most of the Canadian schools say "counseling experience" as apposed to "advocacy" which doesn't leave much space for alternate types of advocacy.  A few years ago I also volunteered in the eating disorders unit at a rehab.  I wouldn't consider it counseling or advocacy, it was just hanging out with patients while they ate their breakfast and then for an hour afterwards, but I got a couple of questions about it during my interview last year, which surprised me.

Hey Everyone,

I created this map of all the different ABGC-certified programs with information like application deadline, and number of students accepted, etc: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M57n5YZeNsw7nwxEwfXTAWsmsCw&usp=sharing

Some of the information was hard to get from the websites and some of the schools haven't updated their application deadlines from last year, so I can't guarantee that all of the information is 100% correct.  All of the tuition information is for the full 2-years of study and is out-of-state tuition, because I figured that was more applicable to most people.

We can work on updating the information together, so if anyone notices anything that needs to be changed just PM me.

I also didn't include any of the up and coming programs, so if anyone has information on those let me know.

On 7/31/2017 at 10:59 AM, TAGC said:

Hey Everyone,

I created this map of all the different ABGC-certified programs with information like application deadline, and number of students accepted, etc: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M57n5YZeNsw7nwxEwfXTAWsmsCw&usp=sharing

Some of the information was hard to get from the websites and some of the schools haven't updated their application deadlines from last year, so I can't guarantee that all of the information is 100% correct.  All of the tuition information is for the full 2-years of study and is out-of-state tuition, because I figured that was more applicable to most people.

We can work on updating the information together, so if anyone notices anything that needs to be changed just PM me.

I also didn't include any of the up and coming programs, so if anyone has information on those let me know.

Hey thanks this is an awesome alternative to a plain list. Love the visual!

On 7/31/2017 at 11:59 AM, TAGC said:

Hey Everyone,

Thank you for this wonderful resource!

On 7/29/2017 at 9:10 PM, KG203040 said:

To any second round applicants: Was the GRE an issue for anyone who had sub-par scores in one category (ie. in the 47th percentile in one category but above the 70th in the others)? When you received feedback was that something that was brought up?

I appreciate it! I'm applying for this round and am a little scared about that aspect of my application.

I had one section in the 75th and two in the 59th percentiles. Of the 4 schools I've received feedback from, only one mentioned the possibility of taking the GRE again to improve my chances. Most said that it didn't help or hurt my chances really and that I had other areas/better plans on how to focus my time and energy on improving my application. 

Just started the Neurogenetics class from Cincinnati and it's very interesting! Can't wait to delve in deeper :)

On 7/31/2017 at 10:59 AM, TAGC said:

Hey Everyone,

Wow, that is a really cool interactive map!! 

On 7/29/2017 at 10:10 PM, KG203040 said:

I've only heard back from 2 of the 4 I applied to. My quantitative was meh. One of them said they didn't care about that. The other said it would be better if I raised it. Soooo I'm planning on taking them again soon. 

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 1:42 PM, Nefelibata said:

Is anyone else going to the NSGC prospective students symposium in Columbus, OH in September? I just registered! 

2017-07-19 13_41_47-Prospective Genetic Counseling students - tene0019@umn.edu - University of Minne.png

Hi Nefelibata,

I just registered, but did you receive any confirmation or further information? I didn't, and I feel a bit weird just showing up! Especially since I'll be driving from Chicago.

I may reach out to the email contact, but I figured I'd ask here in case I missed something!

31 minutes ago, freckledgenes said:

Hi Nefelibata,

I just registered, but did you receive any confirmation or further information? I didn't, and I feel a bit weird just showing up! Especially since I'll be driving from Chicago.

I may reach out to the email contact, but I figured I'd ask here in case I missed something!

@freckledgenes I didn't get a confirmation either when I signed up and felt weird too so I emailed the contact. She emailed me back and said the survey platform they used doesn't auto send out confirmation emails but that I was in fact registered. They sent out a mass email to all registered around the 2 months to go mark, I'm sure they'll send one out around the 1 month to go mark too. If you don't get one around that time, then maybe email them.

Hello everyone!  

I'm a first-year applicant to GC programs and am becoming more aware of how competitive this field is!  But trying to stay positive and prepare as much as possible! 

Question, do any of you already have a master's degree in a related subject? I'm interested what impact that will have on applications, which GPA they look at, relevance of GRE scores, things like that. 

I have a B.S in biotechnology and recently graduated with a M.S in genomics. 

19 hours ago, lilmaz said:

Hello everyone!  

I'm a first-year applicant to GC programs and am becoming more aware of how competitive this field is!  But trying to stay positive and prepare as much as possible! 

Question, do any of you already have a master's degree in a related subject? I'm interested what impact that will have on applications, which GPA they look at, relevance of GRE scores, things like that. 

I have a B.S in biotechnology and recently graduated with a M.S in genomics. 

I have a Master's in Bioinformatics, which isn't the most relevant field, but still a similar enough field.  I've never asked explicitly, but I've always assumed they just look at my undergraduate GPA.  I only had to take 4 courses in my Master's, so it's not really comparable to the 20 courses I took in my undergrad.  That being said, some of the applications will ask you to give the name and grade of a specific prerequisite and you can use your Master's courses there.  So if you took an undergraduate level Biochem course and got 70%, but then took a Master's level Biochem and got 90% you can use that course and grade as your prerequisite, which gives you a bit of a boost.

I've never written the GRE (It's not required in Canada, so I'm writing it for the first time this fall), but I know that some schools say you can wave the 5-year cut-off for the GRE if you already have a Master's degree.  All of the American schools require that you've written the GRE at least once.

3 hours ago, TAGC said:

I have a Master's in Bioinformatics, which isn't the most relevant field, but still a similar enough field.  I've never asked explicitly, but I've always assumed they just look at my undergraduate GPA.  I only had to take 4 courses in my Master's, so it's not really comparable to the 20 courses I took in my undergrad.  That being said, some of the applications will ask you to give the name and grade of a specific prerequisite and you can use your Master's courses there.  So if you took an undergraduate level Biochem course and got 70%, but then took a Master's level Biochem and got 90% you can use that course and grade as your prerequisite, which gives you a bit of a boost.

I've never written the GRE (It's not required in Canada, so I'm writing it for the first time this fall), but I know that some schools say you can wave the 5-year cut-off for the GRE if you already have a Master's degree.  All of the American schools require that you've written the GRE at least once.

Interesting! I assume they most likely look at your transcript as a whole no matter what you self-report. I just ask because I've already started some applications and there is no option for a secondary institute/degree!

When I first started my Master's I just took the GRE as a formality since I already had my assistantship lined up with my PI, so I didn't try and my scores weren't stellar. I will probably take it again, it just is weird to have to spend money and time on a test that is supposed to gauge how well you would do in graduate school....when you've already completed a postgraduate degree! Oh well, academia for ya! Thanks for your insight. 

2 hours ago, lilmaz said:

Interesting! I assume they most likely look at your transcript as a whole no matter what you self-report. I just ask because I've already started some applications and there is no option for a secondary institute/degree!

When I first started my Master's I just took the GRE as a formality since I already had my assistantship lined up with my PI, so I didn't try and my scores weren't stellar. I will probably take it again, it just is weird to have to spend money and time on a test that is supposed to gauge how well you would do in graduate school....when you've already completed a postgraduate degree! Oh well, academia for ya! Thanks for your insight. 

@lilmaz You could send them both transcripts anyway and maybe send an email to give them a heads up. I attended two colleges and during applications last year only ran across one application that didn't let me list more than one college. I emailed the program and they said to just send both transcripts and they would make a note on the file that there was more than one transcript to review.

And on another note, if you feel like your Master's is relevant and makes you a stronger candidate, write about that in your personal statement :)

On 7/31/2017 at 11:59 AM, TAGC said:

Hey Everyone,

Is anyone else having trouble accessing that link? Mine is saying I don't have access to this service

2 hours ago, GCo.Hopeful said:

Is anyone else having trouble accessing that link? Mine is saying I don't have access to this service

@GCo.Hopeful Do you have a Google account? I don't know if that is needed but when I click on it it automatically links through my Google drive. Hope that helps!

Hi all!  Do you know which program applications are open?  I know UNC Greensboro is open, but the few others I've checked don't seem to be.  If you know of any others that are open, please let me know.  Also, if 2nd year applicants know roughly when the majority open, that'd be great.  This is my first go around!

1 hour ago, GCtobee said:

Hi all!  Do you know which program applications are open?  I know UNC Greensboro is open, but the few others I've checked don't seem to be.  If you know of any others that are open, please let me know.  Also, if 2nd year applicants know roughly when the majority open, that'd be great.  This is my first go around!

@GCtobee September 1st seems to be when most applications open. Most programs list a date on their website or post the link on their site when they're open.

Hey guys! As applications open up I've run into a bit of an issue and was wondering if any of you have had the same problem! So many apps want a letter of rec from a GC or a geneticist, but every time I've shadowed I've only been allowed to do so for a day. My question is, how are you guys getting around this? Are you able to find a program that allows for a longer shadowing/internship? 

1 hour ago, Kendra Case said:

Hey guys! As applications open up I've run into a bit of an issue and was wondering if any of you have had the same problem! So many apps want a letter of rec from a GC or a geneticist, but every time I've shadowed I've only been allowed to do so for a day. My question is, how are you guys getting around this? Are you able to find a program that allows for a longer shadowing/internship? 

Out of curiosity, what programs are asking for reference letters from a GC?  All of the programs I'm applying to ask for letters from someone who can comment on your counseling skills, but these typically come from your volunteering or advocacy work.

9 hours ago, Kendra Case said:

@TAGC So far I've seen Arcadia and Jefferson. Jeff surprised me because they didn't say it on their website, but on the actual application it specifies that one letter of rec has to be from a GC or a geneticist. 

It's kind of interesting that both the programs that require letters from GCs are in the same state.  I checked The University of Pittsburgh's website to see if they had the same requirement too, but they were a little vague on their reference letter requirements.

I think that unless someone worked as a Genetic Counseling Assistant, then a lot of the applicants will be in the same boat as you.  As much as it seems like a drag to not be able to use someone who can give you a really strong letter of recommendation, if you did a full day of shadowing with someone then they can still write you a letter confirming that you did do the shadowing, and that you have a good grasp of what a career in the field looks like, etc.

I don't really have any advice on being able to do longer shadowing periods.  The hospital I shadowed at required me to go through volunteer/privacy training, and because it's a lot of effort to do the training they wanted a longer commitment from me.  There is the Find A Genetic Counselor tool that might help you find other genetic counselors in your area that can do longer shadowing.