Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

5 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

Did you scan and email the bottom portion or just write in the body of the email that you want to keep your name on the waitlist 

No I didn't scan, I think I just wrote something like "This email is to confirm that I am willing to have my name on the wait-list for the Fall 2018 MSW 2 year program"

5 minutes ago, rsingh said:

I just got my acceptance for the 2 year program at Laurier, I’m declining it though, in case anyone is on a waiting list. 

Congratulations!!! Yay! Hope you don’t mind me asking, did your email come in after 5pm? Wondering if I need to keep refreshing throughout the night haha. 

10 minutes ago, SWMommy said:

Sigh. Me too. In my mind this doesn’t feel like it’s good news for me. It’s very reminiscent of last year...but I guess you never know! 

Don't worry yet! Acceptance emails have been coming in really slow!! 

5 minutes ago, SWMommy said:

Congratulations!!! Yay! Hope you don’t mind me asking, did your email come in after 5pm? Wondering if I need to keep refreshing throughout the night haha. 

I actually just got my email 5 minutes ago 

1 hour ago, MSW2018applicant said:

Having a thesis looks really good on your application. Have you presented your research at conferences yet? I feel like presenting at conferences helped me strengthen my application because not everybody who works as a research assistant presents at conferences.

I think presenting at conferences will help you whether or not you get off the waitlist. If you get into U of T this year it'll look good on your resume when you look for a part-time research assistant position. If you have to try again next year it'll look good on your resume, too. 

My prof said that U of T probably wants a variety of students since they accept a large number of students (for a graduate program); some students may get accepted based on their outstanding experiences while other students may get accepted based on their outstanding research & academic records (plus a bit of experiences). So I think social work experiences aren't a must.

Also, remember that being waitlisted is already an accomplishment because there isn't just enough space for all qualified applicants. My professors often tell us not to take it personally even if we get rejected from grad schools. Even my professor who is super smart said she got into only one of the graduate schools she applied for when she was a student. The competition today is even worse...:( 

I also think whatever the final result you'll get, everything happens for a reason. Although I'm just finishing up my undergraduate degree I'm a mature student (I didn't include my work experiences prior to my undergraduate in my application though). I also spent some extra time figuring out what I really wanted to do in my undergraduate. Taking the extra time really allowed me to gain many valuable experiences and skills, which will help me in my graduate degree. As long as we keep working toward our goals we'll eventually get there, and things happen at the right times for us.  

I really hope you get off the waitlist though!!

I hope I get off too!

I haven't presented at conferences yet because I am still in the process of finishing up my thesis. But I do plan to do so if that is an opportunity. I just want to finish writing the thing! :)

This is my first time posting, but have been reading and participating from afar...

I just found out over the last 2 hours that I got into UofT (2 year full time) AND Laurier (2 year full-time)!!!!

my ACORN was never updated, I thought I had been rejected. Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted, and to all those still waiting HAVE FAITH- I can 100% relate. 

6 minutes ago, MEGSMSW2018 said:

This is my first time posting, but have been reading and participating from afar...

I just found out over the last 2 hours that I got into UofT (2 year full time) AND Laurier (2 year full-time)!!!!

my ACORN was never updated, I thought I had been rejected. Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted, and to all those still waiting HAVE FAITH- I can 100% relate. 

That's amazing! congrats! 

Do you know which school is your first choice? That would be a hard (but great) decision!

5 minutes ago, rsingh said:

Thank you, good luck to both of you too. I applied to both the part-time and full-time program. They sent me an email last week asking which one I preferred , then sent me the acceptance letter today. 

Ahh! I got that email too! I hope the result is the same for me. Have you been accepted to full or part time? Thanks again ??

9 minutes ago, SWMommy said:

Thanks for the info! Appreciate it ? and good luck with everything 

9 minutes ago, skd05 said:

Wow this is crazy! Is this for the full time program? Maybe they are working late tn ??

Thank you, good luck to both of you too. I applied to both the part-time and full-time program. They sent me an email last week asking which one I preferred , then sent me the acceptance letter today. 

16 minutes ago, MEGSMSW2018 said:

That's so amazing, a huge Congratulations!!! This gives me hope that I might still be accepted to uoft (currently on my way home to check the mailbox- the suspense!!!!). Congrats again :)

Edited by Nervousme

8 minutes ago, lastsupper said:

I got an email from Laurier! I'm accepted into the 2-year MSW program :) 

Strange that it got sent outside of business hours, but I'm not complaining

Eeeeeek so happy for you all

43 minutes ago, Nervousme said:

That's so amazing, a huge Congratulations!!! This gives me hope that I might still be accepted to uoft (currently on my way home to check the mailbox- the suspense!!!!). Congrats again :)

Officially joined the wait-listed at UofT club! I will be accepting Laurier so would be happy to connect with some future classmates :) congratulations to everyone who got acceptances today!!