Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

1 hour ago, nicoleMSW said:

Hi there, I can help out with York, U of T and Laurier. I didn’t apply to the other two. For York, I haven’t heard anything either, but we can assume it is not an acceptance as they called all accepted applicants last week. So best case scenario, that will be a wait list. 

For Laurier, I also have not heard anything. However, acceptances seem to be coming in more sporadically than last year, so I honestly have no idea what to think. I am preparing myself for worst case scenario, though, seeing as I haven’t heard anything yet and acceptances have started rolling out. 

For U of T, it has happened that people have been accepted without ACORN showing as “invited”. This is rare though, so please don’t get your hopes up on my account! From personal experience, I did not get invited on my ACORN last year and was waitlisted (this year I seem to have been accepted, although I don’t have a letter yet). 

That is my take on the radio silence you are experiencing based on personal experience. Good luck! ^_^

Thank you for taking the time to craft such an in-depth response!

I just came home to a waitlist letter from U of T! So now I am starting to feel like I could be on other waitlists too... At least I have more certainty with this newly found uncertainty? lol

6 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

haha my exact thoughts! is this a new thing with laurier, 2 acceptances a day? lmao

Honestly!! And no one has heard anything from the part time program at all. No idea what the deal is there. Been getting incorrect answers on when decisions would be made since the beginning!! Oh well! Will keep hoping ?

5 minutes ago, SWMommy said:

Honestly!! And no one has heard anything from the part time program at all. No idea what the deal is there. Been getting incorrect answers on when decisions would be made since the beginning!! Oh well! Will keep hoping ?

I think laurier's sporadic responses have a lot to do with the online program and they are trying to figure out how to work through this admissions process. Its just as new to them as it is to us lol. I agree on the frustration with the incorrect answers :( it makes the wait 10x harder and stressful 

11 minutes ago, skd05 said:

LOL but seriously... like when is this day considered done...?

I am confused by the fact that the on-line applicants seem to have heard nothing so far. The way this whole process is unfolding makes it to hard to even speculate at this point. Especially considering so many people on here have applied to Laurier and only 5 people have heard (at least one of which who posted that they were accepted seems to have recently joined the forum.)

Everyone is still in the running. At least that’s my story and I’m sticking to it!!!

Cheers to another restless and sleep deprived night! ?

26 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

Its like they are doing it on purpose :( lool haven't we suffered enough with all the waiting?! 

Maybe the admissions committee has some sort of bet going on about how often us applicants will email/call/check LORIS/etc.  (just amuse me ... the waiting game is harsh.)

Hi everyone,

has anyone’s status been changed from “no decision made” for york’s two year MSW program? When i recieved a phone call for my acceptance they said it was suppose to be uodated last thursday, march 29th. My status still hasn’t changed. Just curious to see if everyone is in the same boat as i am. 

(Ps first time using this forum... if i replied to someone else’s comment on a different topic- i apologize).

Thanks,

minnie mouse 

Acceptance letters for UofT (2 year program) are rolling out. My friend just received her package in the mail today, meanwhile her friend received a waitlist letter late last week (though they do live closer to TO than my friend).

Edit: Their status is also "Invited" on ACORN

Edited by Sasha_Grad

11 minutes ago, Sasha_Grad said:

Acceptance letters for UofT (2 year program) are rolling out. My friend just received her package in the mail today, meanwhile her friend received a waitlist letter late last week (though they do live closer to TO than my friend).

Has anyone whose acorn didn't change to invited received an acceptance package? 

26 minutes ago, MinnieMouseMSW2018 said:

Hi everyone,

has anyone’s status been changed from “no decision made” for york’s two year MSW program? When i recieved a phone call for my acceptance they said it was suppose to be uodated last thursday, march 29th. My status still hasn’t changed. Just curious to see if everyone is in the same boat as i am. 

(Ps first time using this forum... if i replied to someone else’s comment on a different topic- i apologize).

Thanks,

minnie mouse 

Hey! @lydia616 were talking about the same issue. We've both been accepted and our statuses haven't changed from No Decision Yet on MyFile (unless your's changed this weekend Lydia!). 

I'm still having trouble deciding whether I'll be accepting the offer. Are you planning to accept? If yes, I'd love to hear your thoughts on why you're choosing the program. 

Hi everyone!

I got accepted to Laurier!! (two year in person). I was at the doctors office when I got the email and burst into tears... I think everyone around me was very weirded out by me haha. I got the email at 2:55pm and my last name starts with an F, if that matters at all (I feel like it's just absolutely random). 

Just some really brief background on me: I have a B+ average in my last 10 credits, about 8000 hours of related experience (half of which was paid), and A- in my research methods course. I think I had strong references and was very happy with my written statement, considering that it was limited to 1000 words. I'm happy to go into more detail about my application incase anyone would like to know!

Also FYI I was waitlisted for U of T for 2018 and when I applied in 2015. 

Good luck everyone waiting for that email! It's coming!!

On ‎2018‎年‎4‎月‎2‎日 at 8:20 AM, Erin32796 said:

Your qualifications sound very similar to mine. I was waitlisted but I have a lot of experience as a research and project assistant and I am also completing a thesis which has a direct relation to social work. I am also just finishing my undergrad. Hoping I get off the waitlist this year!

Having a thesis looks really good on your application. Have you presented your research at conferences yet? I feel like presenting at conferences helped me strengthen my application because not everybody who works as a research assistant presents at conferences.

I think presenting at conferences will help you whether or not you get off the waitlist. If you get into U of T this year it'll look good on your resume when you look for a part-time research assistant position. If you have to try again next year it'll look good on your resume, too. 

My prof said that U of T probably wants a variety of students since they accept a large number of students (for a graduate program); some students may get accepted based on their outstanding experiences while other students may get accepted based on their outstanding research & academic records (plus a bit of experiences). So I think social work experiences aren't a must.

Also, remember that being waitlisted is already an accomplishment because there isn't just enough space for all qualified applicants. My professors often tell us not to take it personally even if we get rejected from grad schools. Even my professor who is super smart said she got into only one of the graduate schools she applied for when she was a student. The competition today is even worse...:( 

I also think whatever the final result you'll get, everything happens for a reason. Although I'm just finishing up my undergraduate degree I'm a mature student (I didn't include my work experiences prior to my undergraduate in my application though). I also spent some extra time figuring out what I really wanted to do in my undergraduate. Taking the extra time really allowed me to gain many valuable experiences and skills, which will help me in my graduate degree. As long as we keep working toward our goals we'll eventually get there, and things happen at the right times for us.  

I really hope you get off the waitlist though!!

Edited by MSW2018applicant

1 hour ago, foxstock said:

Hi everyone!

I got accepted to Laurier!! (two year in person). I was at the doctors office when I got the email and burst into tears... I think everyone around me was very weirded out by me haha. I got the email at 2:55pm and my last name starts with an F, if that matters at all (I feel like it's just absolutely random). 

Just some really brief background on me: I have a B+ average in my last 10 credits, about 8000 hours of related experience (half of which was paid), and A- in my research methods course. I think I had strong references and was very happy with my written statement, considering that it was limited to 1000 words. I'm happy to go into more detail about my application incase anyone would like to know!

Huge Congratulations, you must be so relieved and excited :)

P.S. We are going to be classmates! :)

On ‎2018‎年‎4‎月‎2‎日 at 10:33 AM, karisma said:

Hi friends,

i need help with something because it’s driving my anxiety levels to increase so here I go:

someone from macs post degree BSW program told me that it wouldn’t be wise to go directly into a 2 year msw program after undergrad since apparently some organizations said that they don’t think 2 year msw graduates are ready to counsel and work in the field. Do you think it would be wise to do a post degree and then a msw ? Or go directly into the msw? 

I’m really scared to enter uoft  because of its clinical framework as well- but also whether or not the profs are supportive - my ultimate goal is to work with youth and young adults with mental health and I know a few people who have done so in the social justice and diversity stream. I also had accessibility at Ryerson where I did my previous undergrad and they were so amazing in providing accommodations & I really hope uoft does the same.

Am I the only one whose this nervous and worried? Or are a lot of you on the same boat? 

Im waiting to hear from york & mac for their post degrees but let’s see what happens ; my anxiety is is blowing the roof off

I think those comments aren't true of everybody's experiences. Even if those comments are true, it doesn't mean all students who go to a 2 year MSW program cannot get a job after graduation. It's just describing the general tendency. And there are so many individual differences. Some students can get their dream jobs after graduation while some students may have difficulties finding jobs. And when it comes to looking for a job, your connections play a huge role.

I'm also quite anxious about the job prospect but I think we just have to try our best and see what will happen! Earning the acceptance to U of T is a great opportunity and I think you should jump at the opportunity. Worst comes to worst things don't work well you can always do more education after you finish your Master's.

I'm also anxious about going to the new stage of my life. But I look back at how I was always anxious about going to the new stages of my life but how things always turned out to be great, which gives me a courage to taken on another challenge again ;) 

I believe U of T also provides necessary accommodations as long as you go through the required procedure, like meeting the deadline to submit documents. I'm from UBC, and they have enough support. The procedure is more standardized and automated compared to the college where I was studying prior to transferring but they are still helpful. My professor who worked at U of T also said OISE particularly embraces diversity. So I belive they are committed to accommodate to students who require accommodations. I can ask the professor about if she knows about accommodations at U of T. I'll let you know if I get any insight from her.

I hope to see you at U of T :D

I got my waitlist letter for the 2-year at UofT today....trying not to be too upset. I am thinking about Humber's Addiction and Mental Health Certificate Program, which is only a year and then I can apply again for MSWs. Also applying to Laurier for their 2-year online MSW. Anyone have any advice about Humber or a good way to spend the year before re-applying?

42 minutes ago, foxstock said:

Hi everyone!

This is fabulous news! Congrats!

48 minutes ago, smntoronto said:

Hey! @lydia616 were talking about the same issue. We've both been accepted and our statuses haven't changed from No Decision Yet on MyFile (unless your's changed this weekend Lydia!). 

I'm still having trouble deciding whether I'll be accepting the offer. Are you planning to accept? If yes, I'd love to hear your thoughts on why you're choosing the program. 

Hey. My status on MyFile hasnt changed that I know of....

1 hour ago, MSW2018applicant said:

I live in Vancouver but I received my official acceptance letter from U of T today. I was glad it got to Vancouver earlier than what I expected :) 

Amazing! congratulations :)

Did your status change on acorn? I am still waiting for my letter ahah 

For those of you who emailed UofT to remain on the waitlist, did you guys just write an email to them saying you would like to remain on the waitlist or did you fill out that bottom portion and scan it to them as well? I just don't want to mail it lol

6 minutes ago, Nervousme said:

Amazing! congratulations :)

Did your status change on acorn? I am still waiting for my letter ahah 

Thank you very much!

Yes, my status on ACORN changed to invited last week.

I think everybody should be receiving their letters very soon.

16 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

For those of you who emailed UofT to remain on the waitlist, did you guys just write an email to them saying you would like to remain on the waitlist or did you fill out that bottom portion and scan it to them as well? I just don't want to mail it lol

I emailed!