Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

1 hour ago, cat_not_kitty said:

Got my official acceptance package from U of T yesterday evening! Super exciting to have it in hand and be able to officially announce everything to friends/family/referees, etc. Apart from that, there wasn't all that much information in it.

Very exciting to hear that some folks received acceptances WITHOUT their ACORN updating! Fingers crossed for all those who are still waiting to receive their packages!!

Thought I would share that I called Angela to ask whether one should assume that one didn't receive an entrance scholarship if there was no information about that in the package and she said that that was a completely different process that would take place later. I tried to make it clear that I was asking about the entrance scholarships based on GPA specifically (the $4000 ones, which HAVE been included in packages in past years), as opposed to the internal awards process that takes place after classes start...she seemed to understand what I was referring to, but she was quite distracted sounding. It seems odd to me that information about entrance scholarships wouldn't be provided as part of an offer...

Tagging in a few people who I know off the top of my head are accepted to U of T's 2-year program (so sorry for anyone I missed), so they have this info, and to ask whether anyone received information on/confirmation of an entrance scholarship with their packages. Do any 1-years have any feedback on this?

And finally (rather all over the place this post – sorry!), should we go ahead and start our official UofT MSW at FIFSW class of 2020 Facebook group :D? I'd be happy to do it, but it might actually make more sense for someone who's more active on FB to take the administrator reigns, so that requests to join the group are dealt with in a timely fashion. Anyone up for taking that on?  I'll send you a PM with my name, as I believe you need to add at least one other member when creating a group (and happy to take on secondary admin role).

@karisma @MSW2018applicant @nicoleMSW  @hannahdaviidson @MEGSMSW2018 @Hopeful4 @tr11 @Rectitude

Congratulations again! I also received my official acceptance package from U of T yesterday. Now we can finally fully relax! After I got "invited" on ACORN, I was still frequently checking ACORN to make sure that the invited wasn't taken away lol Now I can stop doing that :P

Thank you for sharing the information about scholarship, too. My package also doesn't contain any info about entrance scholarship.

I don't have a facebook account but I'll create one (after I finish my final exams) to just join the group although I probably won't be active on facebook because I don't really enjoy posting my pictures and daily life lol But I would love to connect with you guys! I'm looking forward to that.  

17 minutes ago, kiki14 said:

I looked through my papers and I was admitted in late March and the entrance scholarship was dated May 9th. I'm sure it varies year to year, but there was a pretty big gap in time between the admissions decisions and the scholarship. 

Was the workshop about diversity or orientation? If it's the diversity workshop, they'll eventually let you sign up on Eventbrite. 

The facebook group for the class has definitely been useful so I would recommend joining. 

Thanks for the information! :) it was the diversity workshop. That’s good to know, I couldn’t find much information on it besides the description. 

I may cave and join Facebook just for the group... so U of T students, if the weird looking account with zero activity named “Nicole” requests... it’s just me! :P 

8 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

Thanks for the information! :) it was the diversity workshop. That’s good to know, I couldn’t find much information on it besides the description. 

I may cave and join Facebook just for the group... so U of T students, if the weird looking account with zero activity named “Nicole” requests... it’s just me! :P 

I'll also create a facebook account to just join the group, so I'll also have a "weird looking account with zero activity" ^_^

Out of reactions (again! :/). Thanks so much for the info, kiki14!

27 minutes ago, kiki14 said:

I looked through my papers and I was admitted in late March and the entrance scholarship was dated May 9th. I'm sure it varies year to year, but there was a pretty big gap in time between the admissions decisions and the scholarship. 

Was the workshop about diversity or orientation? If it's the diversity workshop, they'll eventually let you sign up on Eventbrite. 

The facebook group for the class has definitely been useful so I would recommend joining. 

15 minutes ago, MSW2018applicant said:

I'll also create a facebook account to just join the group, so I'll also have a "weird looking account with zero activity" ^_^

Haha - love that! Excited to meet you :) 

Haha – sounds like we're a social-media-light group, the lot of us. I'll wait for one of the other 2-years to respond – hopefully, one of them is super active on FB and administrating won't be a bother. If it turns out we're all a bunch of luddites, happy to take it on :).

17 minutes ago, MSW2018applicant said:

25 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

My friend who currently attends Laurier met with faculty yesterday to discuss her MSW courses and was told they sent out all decisions that afternoon which clearly isn' factual considering some people are still hearing today!

14 minutes ago, cat_not_kitty said:

Haha – sounds like we're a social-media-light group, the lot of us. I'll wait for one of the other 2-years to respond – hopefully, one of them is super active on FB and administrating won't be a bother. If it turns out we're all a bunch of luddites, happy to take it on :).

Too funny! I am going to create my Facebook account tonight for it as well, so if you end up doing it I can give you my name to add me as your second person! I would create the group, except that I have no experience with facebook so I don’t want to somehow exclude people accidentally. Let me know! :) 

13 minutes ago, skd05 said:

My friend who currently attends Laurier met with faculty yesterday to discuss her MSW courses and was told they sent out all decisions that afternoon which clearly isn' factual considering some people are still hearing today!

If all decisions were out that would mean rejections and waitlists too right? Has anyone heard either one? I’m assuming I fall under one of those categories but I haven’t heard anything!

4 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

If all decisions were out that would mean rejections and waitlists too right? Has anyone heard either one? I’m assuming I fall under one of those categories but I haven’t heard anything!

That's what she was told however I know for a fact it' not true as some are being accepted today!

Hey everyone! Long time lurker, but I just received my offer of admission in the mail. I see that some of you are discussing about starting up a Facebook page for the class of 2020 @MSW2018applicant @nicoleMSW @cat_not_kitty. I'm quite active on Facebook (more than I should be) and can create one! :)

EDIT: I've gone ahead and created one. The group's name is: University of Toronto MSW at FIFSW | Class of 2020.

The following is a link to the page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/209577219803864/?source=create_flow

Looking forward to meeting and working with all of you! 

Edited by Terrens123
Updated information!

21 minutes ago, skd05 said:

That's what she was told however I know for a fact it' not true as some are being accepted today!

I have not heard anything and my LORIS remains unchanged.  I am preparing for rejection and recognize that there are areas in my application that could definitely use improvement (specifically academics).  I just have to decide if I'm willing to do that or perhaps doing the post-degree BSW is the better route.  I do believe that applying for the MSW was a great learning experience for me and I have definitely had some time to do some additional reflection while waiting for a decision.  I know that I am capable of working in this field and I am also capable of acceptance into a BSW program as I was accepted to Dalhousie and UVic in 2016 but it wasn't the right time.  Perhaps this isn't the right time for my MSW either...

Being on this forum helps me to see all of the equally qualified applicants and makes the competitiveness of this process a stark reality.  I am thrilled for everyone who has been accepted thus far. Congrats!  It makes me feel better knowing that for many of you who were accepted this year that it wasn't your 'first rodeo', so to speak. This was my first application and I have already identified areas that could use improvement. It is hard to convey everything you want in 1000 words and now I am not so sure that I did the best job that I could have done in that respect.  I am already thinking of what I can do  better the next time around if need be.

To those who are still awaiting their fate like myself, this isn't the end of the road for us.  Although it may not be the outcome that we had hoped for we have to realize that some people have to climb the mountain more than once in order to reach the summit.  :)

Edited by SW Sevante

8 minutes ago, SW Sevante said:

I have not heard anything and my LORIS remains unchanged.  I am preparing for rejection and recognize that there are areas in my application that could definitely use improvement (specifically academics).  I just have to decide if I'm willing to do that or perhaps doing the post-degree BSW is the better route.  I do believe that applying for the MSW was a great learning experience for me and I have definitely had some time to do some additional reflection while waiting for a decision.  I know that I am capable of working in this field and I am also capable of acceptance into a BSW program as I was accepted to Dalhousie and UVic in 2016 but it wasn't the right time.  Perhaps this isn't the right time for my MSW either...

Being on this forum helps me to see all of the equally qualified applicants and makes the competitiveness of this process a stark reality.  I am thrilled for everyone who has been accepted thus far. Congrats!  It makes me feel better knowing that for many of you who were accepted this year that it wasn't your 'first rodeo', so to speak. This was my first application and I have already identified areas that could use improvement. It is hard to convey everything you want in 1000 words and now I am not so sure that I did the best job that I could have done in that respect.  I am already thinking of what I can do  better the next time around if need be.

To those who are still awaiting their fate like myself, this isn't the end of the road for us.  Although it may not be the outcome that we had hoped for we have to realize that some people have to climb the mountain more than once in order to reach the summit.  :)

Very inspiring :) you applied for the online program as well correct?

Hi, Terrens123! Congratulations on your acceptance!! 

Thank you so much for creating the group! Happy to co-administrate of you'd like to add me – I'll send you a PM with my name and then request join via FB. Yay!

So looking forward to taking on this journey all together!

32 minutes ago, Terrens123 said:

Hey everyone! Long time lurker, but I just received my offer of admission in the mail. I see that some of you are discussing about starting up a Facebook page for the class of 2020 @MSW2018applicant @nicoleMSW @cat_not_kitty. I'm quite active on Facebook (more than I should be) and can create one! :)

EDIT: I've gone ahead and created one. The group's name is: University of Toronto MSW at FIFSW | Class of 2020.

The following is a link to the page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/209577219803864/?source=create_flow

Looking forward to meeting and working with all of you! 

Editing to tag everyone else I could think of: @karisma @hannahdaviidson  @MEGSMSW2018 @Hopeful4 @tr11 @Rectitude @Corrina_22 @meerkitty@Casper13 @jage24

Edited by cat_not_kitty

I mean no news is good news I guess . . . I can definitely understand everyone's frustration especially with the online program starting soon and I don't think anyone on this forum has been accepted into the online program.  

Congrats to everyone that received an acceptance today! Hopefully, more people will hear back from Laurier today yet and over the next few days! 

Love everything you've said here and totally understand why you're preparing your heart for the worst...but I'm still not giving up on you getting in, damn it!! They've clearly got some major administrative issues going on over there.

59 minutes ago, SW Sevante said:

Hi everyone!

like the most of you, I have been eying this forum and I have a question!

(BTW, I have applied to the 2 year MSW program at UofT)***

so today around 12pm my status on SGS changed from Under Review to Decision Made. Does having it being changed to “decision made” mean ANYTHING good? I called and they said that they are currently mailing out ALL decisions...

therefore, for all of you that have been accepted, did it say decision made for you as well? Is decision made a change in status that everyone experienced, regardless of acceptance or rejection? 

I’ve been a BUNDLE of nerves all day so it would really really help me out if you guys had any comments/answers to my question! 

I also have checked my mail - nothing.

Also, my SGS says “financially cancelled” does that mean I’m rejected? Or just because I haven’t been in school for 2 years?

Thank you guys!!! 

Edited by EndlesslyWaiting

56 minutes ago, skd05 said:

There's only 23 business days until the online msw is due to start.... is this even a real thing ?

yup and imagine what the waitlisters will have to go through. You have 21 days to decide if you want to accept/reject the offer. Imagine being waitlisted and finding out 1 day before the program start date that you got in! lol 

11 minutes ago, EndlesslyWaiting said:

Hi everyone!

like the most of you, I have been eying this forum and I have a question!

so today around 12pm my status on MyFile changed from Under Review to Decision Made. I called and they said that they are currently mailing out ALL decisions...

therefore, for all of you that have been accepted, did it say decision made for you as well? Is decision made a change in status that everyone experienced, regardless of acceptance or rejection? 

I’ve been a BUNDLE of nerves all day so it would really really help me out if you guys had any comments/answers to my question! 

Thank you guys!!! 

For the 2 year msw?