Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

10 hours ago, VictoriaT said:

Hi everyone! I discovered this forum a few weeks ago and literally sat there and read everything haha. I'm just finishing my BA in Psychology from Laurier and just got rejected from U of T 2 year MSW and I'm still waiting to hear anything from Laurier. I hoping to gain some more experience to improve my application for next year if need be but for now ive been looking into Humber's Mental Health and Addictions program. It says you'll get two placements and a practicum in third year. Do practicums look good on applications ? OR am i better off trying to work for a year to gain more experience in the field and then reapplying? 

-Thanks everyone for continually keeping me updated, i check this thing like hourly lol 

Hey Goodluck with Laurier! I know that waiting is the worst feeling ever! I don't know if I am the best person to answer this question however, from my experience (I am coming out of my BA in psych and did a rehabilitation certificate with seneca college during my undergrad and had 2 practicums in the rehab field) I would say that I got into Laurier because of those practicums. It depends what your interests are but they allowed me to talk about what I really want to do and how they allowed me find what I'm passionate about. It also helped to have a very cohesive application since most of my experience is within the rehab field I demonstrated that I have a passion for working within the field and for furthering my education. So if you want to work in the mental health/ addictions field I think that program is an amazing opportunity! Also having a variety of placements which the Humber program seems to offer, really helps in showing that you're flexible and able to work with a number of different populations in different settings. I think that getting a number of different experiences is also better than having one year at one job, this obviously depends on what kind of job you can get, but based off this job market I would definitely pick going back to school for a bit! I hope this helps :) 

1 hour ago, idmsw said:

For those of you who were accepted to laurier has your LORIS account changed at all? Also if you got a scholarship where was that info? 

The acceptance letter is uploaded to LORIS! The acceptance letter is there instead of the application checklist (where we uploaded our documents). 

Has anyone spoken to someone from Laurier's online program this week regarding decisions? I know last week, we were told that we should hear something by Mon/Tues. But this info always changes so I would like to know the most updated info lol. Also, do you think the online program will establish a waitlist? 

14 minutes ago, msw0913 said:

Any others been accepted to Laurier today? 

Haven’t heard anything. I am wondering if they will do anymore in class, or just online now (I’m hoping there’s more in class)

12 hours ago, VictoriaT said:

Hi everyone! I discovered this forum a few weeks ago and literally sat there and read everything haha. I'm just finishing my BA in Psychology from Laurier and just got rejected from U of T 2 year MSW and I'm still waiting to hear anything from Laurier. I hoping to gain some more experience to improve my application for next year if need be but for now ive been looking into Humber's Mental Health and Addictions program. It says you'll get two placements and a practicum in third year. Do practicums look good on applications ? OR am i better off trying to work for a year to gain more experience in the field and then reapplying? 

-Thanks everyone for continually keeping me updated, i check this thing like hourly lol 

Practicum are great learning opportunities and look good on a resume. If the Mental Health and Addictions is an area that really interest you there is no harm in getting education further in that specific area (if you are able to afford it)

My plan was to work for a couple of years and reapply to my MSW. I graduated in 2013 from my BSW and applied right out of school (didn't get in) and then went into the work force.... but it took me over a year to get a job in a related field and nearly two years to get a job in Social work which pushed back my plans for returning to school.

Volunteer opportunities are ALWAYS a good idea- it gets you experience, and connections in the industry in your community. I volunteered for big brothers big sisters and victim services for a number of years. volunteer work looks great on a resume and application to school.

Good luck with the end of your undergrad.

19 hours ago, 2 Year MSW said:

I graduated from my undergrad in 2016, but i know what you mean about all the contract jobs :( Im currently in one right now which is ending soon so the possibility of being jobless and MSWless gives me crazyyyy anxiety lool 

I've been living on an extended contract for three years now, its the worst. Hoping for the best for you!

35 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

Has anyone spoken to someone from Laurier's online program this week regarding decisions? I know last week, we were told that we should hear something by Mon/Tues. But this info always changes so I would like to know the most updated info lol. Also, do you think the online program will establish a waitlist? 

I have no idea... Maybe if someone speaks to.admissions post here!

9 minutes ago, SWMommy said:

I just received my offer of admission to Laurier’s Two-Year Full Time on campus program!!! Truly a dream come true. In total shock. 

Yesssss !!!! So happy for you .. you reallt deserve it. Glad you never lost hope.

28 minutes ago, SWMommy said:

I just received my offer of admission to Laurier’s Two-Year Full Time on campus program!!! Truly a dream come true. In total shock. 

Congratulations! I’m so happy for you! You deserve it 

33 minutes ago, SWMommy said:

Congratulations, this is so so wonderful! We are going to be classmates and I so look forward to meeting you :)

Okay offically freaking out because I applied to both the on-campus and online program at Laurier and never got an email asking which program I prefer to be in. Sooo by the looks of it im either only admitted to the online program or nothing.... 

6 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

Okay offically freaking out because I applied to both the on-campus and online program at Laurier and never got an email asking which program I prefer to be in. Sooo by the looks of it im either only admitted to the online program or nothing.... 

I’ve only applied to in class and I never heard anything back either. I’m freaking out! 

46 minutes ago, SWMommy said:

Just curious, when did you finish uploading your documents and stuff? I uploaded mine the day it was due so I'm wondering if they're going in order

50 minutes ago, SWMommy said:

Congratulations! Looking forward to meeting you :)  Good luck trying to accomplish anything today ahahah I got my email yesterday and spent the rest of the day in a daze! Still feels surreal! 

11 minutes ago, tdamaren said:

Just curious, when did you finish uploading your documents and stuff? I uploaded mine the day it was due so I'm wondering if they're going in order

I uploaded mine the day it was due as well but I heard back yesterday. I was thinking maybe last name because I'm fairly early in the alphabet -last name starts with an E

I was also thinking the list might be split between a couple of different staff members sending out emails and some are just faster at getting them out than others? Because it does look like people are still hearing positive news today! 

I totally get your frustration, Erin – so many incredibly qualified candidates and an inadequate number of spots :(. Usually, there would be the caveat that these numbers need to be kept in line with employment outlook for positions, but the Job Bank report for social work – across much of Canada and specifically in Toronto – calls for growth in the sector...

https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/LMI_report_bynoc.do?&noc=4152&reportOption=outlook

22 hours ago, Erin32796 said:

To be honest, I find it quite annoying and really ridiculous to only accept so few students. U of T can handle taking on more students for this program, and it is very clear by this forum that so many of us are qualified and missed out by the slightest little thing. My only theory is that U of T wants to maintain their status of exclusivity and opulence.

So excited for everyone who has received acceptances from Laurier!! CONGRATULATIONS!!

They're reaaaaaaaaaally drawing the process out, eh? I cannot believe how slowly they've been rolling in and that the online applicants STILL haven't heard yet! That's just nuts.

Butt cheeks firmly clenched for all those who are still waiting to hear, with a special shout out to @SW Sevante – there with you in spirit ❤️.

When people accepted the wait-list spot for UofT via email, did you attach a copy of form they wanted you to mail back, or just typed out all the information within the email? This is on of those things i'd rather not get wrong ! LOL 

Thanks! 

23 minutes ago, cat_not_kitty said:

I totally get your frustration, Erin – so many incredibly qualified candidates and an inadequate number of spots :(. Usually, there would be the caveat that these numbers need to be kept in line with employment outlook for positions, but the Job Bank report for social work – across much of Canada and specifically in Toronto – calls for growth in the sector...

https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/LMI_report_bynoc.do?&noc=4152&reportOption=outlook

This is so crazy to see! The outlooks in Ontario are good for social work, 3 stars according to the job bank. That is very bizarre that universities wouldn't consider the employment outlook for Social Work positions in determining how many spots they can accommodate for Social Work programming. If growth is needed in the sector, universities should want to accept as many qualified candidates as possible, but I guess that will remain a fantasy lol. I am just trying to cling on to cautious hope that I make it off the waitlist, and that others who have been waitlisted have that chance too. I guess we probably won't find out until around May or June though, so all of us waitlisters will need to continue crossing those fingers :P 

10 minutes ago, cmMSW said:

When people accepted the wait-list spot for UofT via email, did you attach a copy of form they wanted you to mail back, or just typed out all the information within the email? This is on of those things i'd rather not get wrong ! LOL 

Thanks! 

I was planning on filling it out and scanning it unless anyone would suggest otherwise?