Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

37 minutes ago, Erin32796 said:

To be honest, I find it quite annoying and really ridiculous to only accept so few students. U of T can handle taking on more students for this program, and it is very clear by this forum that so many of us are qualified and missed out by the slightest little thing. My only theory is that U of T wants to maintain their status of exclusivity and opulence.

I was shy to express same idea :)

Hey fellow hopefuls, 

So I applied to 5 schools ( York, U of T, Laurier, U of C, UBCO) and have not heard an acceptance, rejection, or waitlist from any of them (by email or on the sites).

Does anyone know, is no news good news historically? Should I assume rejections?

It's my first time applying and I am just scratching my head at this whole process...

6 minutes ago, GradApplicant22 said:

Hey fellow hopefuls, 

So I applied to 5 schools ( York, U of T, Laurier, U of C, UBCO) and have not heard an acceptance, rejection, or waitlist from any of them (by email or on the sites).

Does anyone know, is no news good news historically? Should I assume rejections?

It's my first time applying and I am just scratching my head at this whole process...

Hi there, I can help out with York, U of T and Laurier. I didn’t apply to the other two. For York, I haven’t heard anything either, but we can assume it is not an acceptance as they called all accepted applicants last week. So best case scenario, that will be a wait list. 

For Laurier, I also have not heard anything. However, acceptances seem to be coming in more sporadically than last year, so I honestly have no idea what to think. I am preparing myself for worst case scenario, though, seeing as I haven’t heard anything yet and acceptances have started rolling out. 

For U of T, it has happened that people have been accepted without ACORN showing as “invited”. This is rare though, so please don’t get your hopes up on my account! From personal experience, I did not get invited on my ACORN last year and was waitlisted (this year I seem to have been accepted, although I don’t have a letter yet). 

That is my take on the radio silence you are experiencing based on personal experience. Good luck! ^_^

7 minutes ago, MSWapplicant2018 said:

Hi guys!!! I got waitlisted at UofT! I know its not a huge deal but I'm happy I even got waitlisted considering my lack of experience compared to everyone else!

Congratulations! I can feel your relief through the phone screen! :P Very happy for you!

10 minutes ago, MSWapplicant2018 said:

Hi guys!!! I got waitlisted at UofT! I know its not a huge deal but I'm happy I even got waitlisted considering my lack of experience compared to everyone else!

Congratulations and good luck!

18 hours ago, WINDSORAPP said:

I am wondering the same thing regarding windsor. I am on the waitlist, and find it very frustrating that they will not release the order of the list. Is anyone else hoping to get off of windsors waitlist? I have my fingers crossed because I want in to this school so badly!! 

I am in the same boat as both of you, waitlisted at both Windsor and Western ? (and I suspect U of T as well)

2 hours ago, _Nomad_ said:

Exactly! My confidence moves from "+" to "zero" :( I wish they were more transparent or specific about requirements. Perhaps, it would be easier for UofT admission office too (not only for poor anxious applicants eh).

Best of luck! Hope you'll get in this year!

Thank you! I am not optimistic given that it appears U of T waitlists a ton of people, but I have a great job in the field so I can't complain, and will try again next year!

5 hours ago, 2 Year MSW said:

Ugh tell me about it! I don't know how to plan my life right now with so many unknowns and it freaks me out!

I hear ya. When did you finish your undergrad? I've been out of school 5 years now and just want to get back and finish up my MSW so I can *hopefully* secure stable employment, working contracts and trying to raise a family is hard

Congratulations on your acceptance to Laurier!!! So glad to hear that some people heard back today! 

I’m still nervously waiting to hear back! Literally at this point I want to know either way so I can start planning for the fall.

Does anyone know if acceptances are going out alphabetically? 

38 minutes ago, KJE88 said:

I was just accepted at Laurier!!! Definitely burst out crying at work after opening the email ahahaha (I’ve been trying since 2015!!!)

Looking forward to getting to know all my future classmates!

Congrats!! 

Do you mind sharing your gpa and experiences 

1 hour ago, cbro said:

Hey. I was accepted to Western and Laurier 2 year program. I was wondering if anyone know which program would be best for wanting a career in Mental Health. I would love to work in a hospital and in private practice with individuals and families suffering from mental health and trauma. I'm unsure which program would better prepare me for this. Thoughts? Thanks in advance and good luck everyone!

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your GPA and experiences? I was waitlisted for Western so im curious :P 

18 minutes ago, Emactastic said:

I hear ya. When did you finish your undergrad? I've been out of school 5 years now and just want to get back and finish up my MSW so I can *hopefully* secure stable employment, working contracts and trying to raise a family is hard

I graduated from my undergrad in 2016, but i know what you mean about all the contract jobs :( Im currently in one right now which is ending soon so the possibility of being jobless and MSWless gives me crazyyyy anxiety lool 

7 minutes ago, SW Sevante said:

The acceptances are rolling out like a leaky faucet.  Drip...drip...drip...

Ah, the anguish and anticipation. :P

LOL but seriously... like when is this day considered done...?