Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

15 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

I was honestly expecting a lot more people to hear back today because there are a lottt of people who applied to laurier's 2 year program. Like someone said earlier, maybe just people with scholarships got notified? 

Honestly that’s what I was thinking. The the ones that posted stated they’ve got scholarships. I don’t think anyone else got accepted at the moment or well at least that’s what I’m hoping. Hopefully we hear back tomorrow 

Anxiously waiting to get off western's waitlist as well. anyone know how long they keep people on the waitlist for? im assuming it might start moving this week or next week when majority of the schools have sent out their offers and its just up to the students to make decisions 

Edited by 2 Year MSW

8 minutes ago, msw0913 said:

Honestly that’s what I was thinking. The the ones that posted stated they’ve got scholarships. I don’t think anyone else got accepted at the moment or well at least that’s what I’m hoping. Hopefully we hear back tomorrow 

i really hope so! i need answers hahah. Did you apply to the online stream as well? 

7 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

i really hope so! i need answers hahah. Did you apply to the online stream as well? 

No I didn’t, I just applied to Laurier’s full time on campus program. 

15 minutes ago, Erin32796 said:

For those who get waitlisted from U of T, is it simply because there aren't enough spots, or is there something we are missing that the accepted applicants had? I am noticing a couple people getting accepted right out of their undergrad with similar qualifications to mine, yet I was waitlisted. I am hoping some people reject their offers so I have a chance of getting in this year, but it is kind of disheartening to see people who are almost of equal qualifications to you getting accepted. Makes me wonder what exactly U of T is looking for.

I'm wondering the same thing, to be honest. I'd like to think that it's simply a lack of spots, since being waitlisted is definitely distinct from being rejected. There must be particulars to the accepted applicants that made them stand out slightly more, and unfortunately it can't be a completely objective process. It must be hard being on the admissions committee, because sometimes you have to pick based on seemingly insignificant factors, since two applicants can be practically identical. When I talked with a graduate advisor who was going over my application, she said to put in as much into my resume as possible (even jobs like janitorial work or retail experience) since those reviewing your application could have some affinity to those who had those experiences. A friend of mine got a job in a tech-related field because he wrote he had construction experience on his resume, and the hiring manager happened to really respect applicants who did blue-collar work in the past.

My lurking suspicion is that maybe a lot of this year's applicants showed a particular interest in one realm of social work (typically it's mental health and health, but maybe social justice & diversity is getting more popular?) and they wanted a balanced incoming cohort so when choosing your specification in 2nd year one stream doesn't get too clogged. That's only a theory though, I don't know if that's true or not.

8 minutes ago, lastsupper said:

I'm wondering the same thing, to be honest. I'd like to think that it's simply a lack of spots, since being waitlisted is definitely distinct from being rejected. There must be particulars to the accepted applicants that made them stand out slightly more, and unfortunately it can't be a completely objective process. It must be hard being on the admissions committee, because sometimes you have to pick based on seemingly insignificant factors, since two applicants can be practically identical. When I talked with a graduate advisor who was going over my application, she said to put in as much into my resume as possible (even jobs like janitorial work or retail experience) since those reviewing your application could have some affinity to those who had those experiences. A friend of mine got a job in a tech-related field because he wrote he had construction experience on his resume, and the hiring manager happened to really respect applicants who did blue-collar work in the past.

My lurking suspicion is that maybe a lot of this year's applicants showed a particular interest in one realm of social work (typically it's mental health and health, but maybe social justice & diversity is getting more popular?) and they wanted a balanced incoming cohort so when choosing your specification in 2nd year one stream doesn't get too clogged. That's only a theory though, I don't know if that's true or not.

That's an interesting perspective. It is quite hard to be objective in this type of process. Although I must say my area of interest is in Children and Families.

9 minutes ago, Lmm2 said:

Hi, 

Just wondering if there is anyone on here who applied to UofT's 2 year program- and hasn't heard anything yet? 

Hi there, I applied and have not heard back yet. My acorn didn't change, my sgs still says "under review", and I have yet to receive a letter (although this might be because I live outside of Toronto and the long weekend)...

Edited by Nervousme

49 minutes ago, Nervousme said:

Hi there, I applied and have not heard back yet. My acorn didn't change, my sgs still says "under review", and I have yet to receive a letter (although this might be because I live outside of Toronto and the long weekend)...

Same here, No change online at all, and no mail-although I live in Downtown Toronto. Thats the part thats driving me a bit crazy at the moment! 

1 hour ago, Lmm2 said:

Same here, No change online at all, and no mail-although I live in Downtown Toronto. Thats the part thats driving me a bit crazy at the moment! 

I created a profile just to respond to this post! I live in downtown Toronto as well and have heard absolutely nothing from UofT for the 2-year MSW program. Does it truly mean that there is no hope for us? I am a ball of anxiety and have started looking at certificate programs and other social services work I can do until I can apply again next year. I am a mature student and really need to get out into the work force. Does anyone know anything about this? 

2 hours ago, lastsupper said:

I think a lot of it has to do with having something that sets you apart. There are 800+ applicants. Im sure many of us have excellent grades, volunteer, and work experience. They probably look for something unique and different...either through your essays, maybe something a reference puts, or your area of interest within social work. I think expressing your passion through examples in your essay would be an asset. I also sometimes wonder if some don't really consider the importance and power of excellent references. These could really say a lot about you, and your clinical experience. Just some food for thought.

3 hours ago, Erin32796 said:

For those who get waitlisted from U of T, is it simply because there aren't enough spots, or is there something we are missing that the accepted applicants had? I am noticing a couple people getting accepted right out of their undergrad with similar qualifications to mine, yet I was waitlisted. I am hoping some people reject their offers so I have a chance of getting in this year, but it is kind of disheartening to see people who are almost of equal qualifications to you getting accepted. Makes me wonder what exactly U of T is looking for.

My thoughts exactly (well... I didn't get even waitlisted this year). I wish you to get in this year! 

On 2018-03-31 at 4:38 PM, Rectitude said:

Hi all,

I recently got accepted into the 2-year MSW program at UofT. I'm hoping to make some connections before starting this program. Are there any others on this forum who have also been accepted into the 2 year program, and who live in the Hamilton area? If so, would you be interested in connecting?

Please send me a message if you're interested! 

Hey ! I am accepted to the 2-year MSW at U of T as well, and I am also hopeful to make connections within the program! I don't live in the Hamilton area unfortunatly, but I am excited to connect with you when school begins! 

Hi all,

I know that this is such a stressful time for everyone regardless of each individual's current situation.  I thought that this video might help.  We all have different timelines for success, be it this year for some and maybe not for another few years for others, but in the end we will all find success!  :)

Hopefully tomorrow renders some very good news for many! 

https://jayshetty.me/before-you-feel-pressure/

Edited by SW Sevante

3 hours ago, lastsupper said:

I think your suspicion might be right. They have to balance the 2nd year cohort so that everyone can specialize. 

11 minutes ago, spers said:

I think your suspicion might be right. They have to balance the 2nd year cohort so that everyone can specialize. 

Just repeating what the school says... They say that your intended (for 2 year) or selected (for advanced standing) field of study doesn't play a factor in your chances of getting in. They increase the number of sections for the more popular options so that there is enough room in each class. 

Source: Angela at last year's information session. 

Edited by SwagMaster

4 hours ago, 2 Year MSW said:

Anxiously waiting to get off western's waitlist as well. anyone know how long they keep people on the waitlist for? im assuming it might start moving this week or next week when majority of the schools have sent out their offers and its just up to the students to make decisions 

I am wondering the same thing regarding windsor. I am on the waitlist, and find it very frustrating that they will not release the order of the list. Is anyone else hoping to get off of windsors waitlist? I have my fingers crossed because I want in to this school so badly!! 

6 hours ago, SwagMaster said:

If I were in your position, I would take the MSW in a heartbeat! This is such a great opportunity you have been given!

I'm honestly quite confused about what this person is talking about. By that logic, if organizations don't think MSW grads are ready to work in the field, then these organizations certainly won't think that BSW grads are ready to work in the field. 

You may not get your perfect dream job right out of school, but very few people do. No matter what you graduate with, BSW then MSW or just MSW, the degree will get your foot in the industry. It's how you build your career that will determine where you end up working. 

Thanks swag master! Your words really helped - and I guess so! I guess now that it’s all happening I got afraid (especially now that it’s a graduate degree)

thanks for taking the time out in replying anencephaly giving me some encouragement - I appreciate it :) you’re gonna make a great social worker one day

16 minutes ago, karisma said:

Thanks swag master! Your words really helped - and I guess so! I guess now that it’s all happening I got afraid (especially now that it’s a graduate degree)

thanks for taking the time out in replying anencephaly giving me some encouragement - I appreciate it :) you’re gonna make a great social worker one day

I second what SwagMaster says. The MSW is such an amazing opportunity!! And if you need a real life example to ease your mind- my boyfriend did a two year MSW, got a job that he loved right after graduation, moved on to start his own practice, trains other professionals, and is a published author... all within 5 years. The 2 year program definitely did not close any doors for him! 

29 minutes ago, karisma said:

No problem! Also wanted to add that from experience, getting a job with just a BSW was tough! For every job that I qualified for there were 2 or 3 job postings that required an MSW. Definitely easier with an MSW!

1 hour ago, SW Sevante said:

Hi all,

I know that this is such a stressful time for everyone regardless of each individual's current situation.  I thought that this video might help.  We all have different timelines for success, be it this year for some and maybe not for another few years for others, but in the end we will all find success!  :)

Hopefully tomorrow renders some very good news for many! 

https://jayshetty.me/before-you-feel-pressure/

Thank you for sharing this ^_^

1 hour ago, WINDSORAPP said:

I am wondering the same thing regarding windsor. I am on the waitlist, and find it very frustrating that they will not release the order of the list. Is anyone else hoping to get off of windsors waitlist? I have my fingers crossed because I want in to this school so badly!! 

Right? There are other schools that at least say how many people are on the waitlist or where they are. Based on past forums, it looks like Windsor's and Western's waitlist does move, at least more than other schools such as UofT.