Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

7 minutes ago, _Nomad_ said:

Social Work is definitely my dream job and it would be freat to get my degree in UofT. I gust first I have to figure out what they want from me hehe My last year application was pretty weak - simple "essays" and minimum of work/volunteer experience; but I got waitlisted! This year I put so much effort and gaind enough experience... and got rejected. Mystery :)

Thanks for your kind words tho!

I agree it is a mystery! I also got waitlisted at U of T, and can't figure out how to further improve my application, or what they are looking for! It is a very disheartening experience.

Thanks so much for calling in and sharing this updated info, spers!

For 1-years, this is a seriously substantial shift down in acceptance rate! According to the Self Study on their website, they received ~250 applications in 2014 and accepted 95, for an acceptance rate of 38%. According to the updated numbers provided by them today, they've had a 40% increase in applications received AND have lowered the number of accepted students, shifting acceptance rate to between 23-26%!

There already aren't enough spots for qualified applicants...sad to see acceptance rates going DOWN instead of up. The number of 2-year students accepted also went down from 145 to 130, for an acceptance rate of 16% :blink:.

37 minutes ago, spers said:

For those of you that were waitlisted for U of T. I have some information about the waitlist. I called Terry today asking about how decisions are made about the waitlist.

First, he informed me that the waitlist is not ranked because once a spot opens up, all the applications on the waitlist are reviewed again. This is because some people are still completing their degree and may update their GPA/ send in another transcript. He could not tell me how many people are on the waitlist because the admissions committee did not provide that information. Also, there is a good chance that nobody will get off the waitlist until early June. The government made a new law stating that no school can ask for a deposit before the first week of June because many people are still waiting for other acceptances from other schools. 

I asked about the acceptance for the advanced standing program and he said that it is much higher than the two-year MSW. This year, they accepted 80 or 90 people out of 350 for the Advanced Standing Program. They accepted 130 out of 800 for the 2-year MSW. 

He told me that year someone started completing a 1-year BSW and got off the waitlist in August. This person was given the option of accepting the 2-year MSW or applying again for Advanced Standing once they complete their BSW. He told me that this applicant had decided to accept the admission to the 2-year MSW. 

I hope this is helpful for some people!

Edited by cat_not_kitty
Typo

22 minutes ago, WhenToPanic said:

Has anyone heard from / spoken to University of Calgary this morning? I heard from one person that they would have decisions out by early this week, but when I called them they said end of this week. The anxiety is killing me!

Seriously, why can’t they just pick a day and tell us to expect an answer then?? This waiting for a response at any moment is killing my nerves and making it seriously difficult to focus on ANYTHING. 

I have not heard anything this week...only thing I’ve heard is the email response they gave me with the same timeline they gave you. 

23 minutes ago, Scully29 said:

I agree it is a mystery! I also got waitlisted at U of T, and can't figure out how to further improve my application, or what they are looking for! It is a very disheartening experience.

Exactly! My confidence moves from "+" to "zero" :( I wish they were more transparent or specific about requirements. Perhaps, it would be easier for UofT admission office too (not only for poor anxious applicants eh).

Best of luck! Hope you'll get in this year!

6 minutes ago, skd05 said:

Yeah legit just that and my references. Nothing has changed in months.

Mine's the same.  Nothing has changed since it shows all my documents/references are submitted.  I seen a previous year's post say that when a decision is made, that page will change to an acceptance/rejection letter. 

5 minutes ago, emmasw said:

hey all :) i just got an acceptance email from Laurier and my Loris has been updated! Good luck to everyone who applied! 

Emma

Congratulations!!! Now we must all wait 

5 minutes ago, emmasw said:

hey all :) i just got an acceptance email from Laurier and my Loris has been updated! Good luck to everyone who applied! 

Emma

Congratulations!!!  Did you apply for online or in class? 

8 minutes ago, emmasw said:

Emma

Very proud of you thanks so much for posting here :)

12 minutes ago, msw0913 said:

If you don’t mind can you share your GPA and experience

my GPA is a 3.6 or 3.7 depending on what scale you look at. Most of my experience combines social justice and at-risk youth with the arts (visual, theatre, creative writing, etc.). my application mostly focused on wanting to build artistic and social justice minded communities :) 

8 minutes ago, emmasw said:

my GPA is a 3.6 or 3.7 depending on what scale you look at. Most of my experience combines social justice and at-risk youth with the arts (visual, theatre, creative writing, etc.). my application mostly focused on wanting to build artistic and social justice minded communities :) 

That’s impressive! Congratulations! 

28 minutes ago, emmasw said:

Congratulations!! We're going to be classmates :)

50 minutes ago, cat_not_kitty said:

Thanks so much for calling in and sharing this updated info, spers!

For 1-years, this is a seriously substantial shift down in acceptance rate! According to the Self Study on their website, they received ~250 applications in 2014 and accepted 95, for an acceptance rate of 38%. According to the updated numbers provided by them today, they've had a 40% increase in applications received AND have lowered the number of accepted students, shifting acceptance rate to between 23-26%!

There already aren't enough spots for qualified applicants...sad to see acceptance rates going DOWN instead of up. The number of 2-year students accepted also went down from 145 to 130, for an acceptance rate of 16% :blink:.

To be honest, I find it quite annoying and really ridiculous to only accept so few students. U of T can handle taking on more students for this program, and it is very clear by this forum that so many of us are qualified and missed out by the slightest little thing. My only theory is that U of T wants to maintain their status of exclusivity and opulence.

Hey. I was accepted to Western and Laurier 2 year program. I was wondering if anyone know which program would be best for wanting a career in Mental Health. I would love to work in a hospital and in private practice with individuals and families suffering from mental health and trauma. I'm unsure which program would better prepare me for this. Thoughts? Thanks in advance and good luck everyone!

5 minutes ago, cbro said:

Hey. I was accepted to Western and Laurier 2 year program. I was wondering if anyone know which program would be best for wanting a career in Mental Health. I would love to work in a hospital and in private practice with individuals and families suffering from mental health and trauma. I'm unsure which program would better prepare me for this. Thoughts? Thanks in advance and good luck everyone!

From my understanding Laurier is pretty MH focused. I have worked in MH and addictions for 5 years and everyone I have met has gone to Laurier... but i cant speak to Western :) the clinical counsellor at my work completer her MSW at Laurier if that helps any.

Congrats on your acceptances!!!