Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

20 hours ago, Sooyeah said:

Yea I got rejected from U windsor and York and my acorn does not say invited for Uoft soo... yea

Oh... Best of luck! I wish you all the best and Im sure eventually you'll get what you want!

11 hours ago, skd05 said:

I feel like this is bad news if i didnt get called :( i applied to the online program.

I don’t think it means bad news at all! They probably just can’t get to everyone who applied. Hang in there. We will all know in a few days ?

5 minutes ago, SWMommy said:

I don’t think it means bad news at all! They probably just can’t get to everyone who applied. Hang in there. We will all know in a few days ?

I really really hope so! All my eggs are in this basket ?

10 hours ago, whatdidigetinto said:

Did she just call out of the blue to say she's calling again after the weekend?  I also applied for the part-time online program, and no phone calls 

Yep, that’s basically what she said. Long decision process...Going to have it sorted out after Easter. Said she will call everyone either way next week. I doubt if they called everyone though because she really didn’t have much to say. No real updates 

11 hours ago, skd05 said:

Was this from Miljana? If you dont mind me asking.... blah i feel sad lol

Yep it was Miljana. I get the feeling sad thing. This is soooo hard! And it’s my second time applying. Can’t go through it again! Ugh

4 minutes ago, SWMommy said:

Yep, that’s basically what she said. Long decision process...Going to have it sorted out after Easter. Said she will call everyone either way next week. I doubt if they called everyone though because she really didn’t have much to say. No real updates 

Hmm i think it also depends on how much info the enrollment advisor you have been in contact with from the start (for those who have been in contact with one) gives out. I think someone on this forum said that they were told that over 140 people applied, but when i asked my enrollment advisor, she said she could not give out that info. 

9 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

Hmm i think it also depends on how much info the enrollment advisor you have been in contact with from the start (for those who have been in contact with one) gives out. I think someone on this forum said that they were told that over 140 people applied, but when i asked my enrollment advisor, she said she could not give out that info. 

Good news is hopefully we will all know by early next week. I hope you all enjoy your easter. Worrying wont get us anywhere over the weekend lol! :)

5 minutes ago, skd05 said:

Good news is hopefully we will all know by early next week. I hope you all enjoy your easter. Worrying wont get us anywhere over the weekend lol! :)

Yess i agree i have to keep reminding myself that worrying is no help. It will just ruin my weekend that is supposed to be relaxing!

7 hours ago, sw2018app said:

Hey all!  I have a quick question for folks who have applied York?  Has your MyFile been updated?  Mine still says "no decision yet"....  wondering if anyone else is still in the same boat?

I called them on Tuesday to ask and they said that the 20 accepted were already contacted, but the waitlist/reject list have not been compiled yet. I posted it a few pages back (but it got buried underneath the UofT acceptance wave haha), but here it is:

• The lists will be finalized in the next 1-2 weeks.
  • About 10 people get on the waitlist.
  • You will be notified in some form if you do get on the waitlist.

5 hours ago, heather.m said:

Hi all. 

I've unfortunately been rejected to both York and U of T for their 2 year MSW programs. I'm hoping to get some advice from those of you who have been through the application process more than once (on how you improved your application for the next cycle), and/or those of you who've been accepted into Master's Programs (not necessarily just at York and U of T). 

Here's a bit of background about me, and what was included in my applications this time around:

I completed a 4 year Honours BA at Ryerson, majoring in "Arts and Contemporary Studies" and minoring in English. My cumulative GPA is 3.73 (on a 4.33 scale), but my GPA for my last year of study is 3.87. I got an A in my research methods course. Work wise, I'm currently employed as a nanny, have worked approx. 2200 hours in that position. Before that, I worked as an Aquatic Coordinator for the City of Toronto in Parks and Recreation (5500 hours). I volunteered for the Yes In My Backyard Festival as their Elected Officials Coordinator (100 hours), and completed a practicum for my degree in which we organized the first ever Social Impact Film Forum (120 hours). I had an unpaid internship with ConferenceCloud Inc. where I worked as a Social Ventures Coordinator (seeking out nonprofit organizations and collaborating with them to utilize the ConferenceCloud platform for their events) (250 hours). 

Looking back on my application now, I realize that compared to everyone else on this forum, I don't have much (or seemingly any) relevant social work experience. I'm feeling extremely lost and confused as to how I'm supposed to gain experience in the field if I do not have a specific education in social work - which is why I was applying to a Masters of Social Work program in the first place. So my question to you all is, how the HECK do you gain experience in the field of social work if you don't have a BSW? What even counts as "social work experience"?! It's now clear to me how important experience is for these MSW applications... I thought that my strong academics and personal statement (which I spent a VERY long time on, and was extremely vulnerable in, discussing my experience with domestic abuse and how that helped inspire me to become a social worker and help those affected by domestic violence) would be enough.

I'm assuming that I won't be able to apply again until fall 2019, since any experience I do gain between now and fall 2018 won't be enough for my application (since they are due in November/December). 

I felt so sure of myself when I first submitted my applications... but this whole situation took such a drastic turn, I'm feeling so unbelievably lost and confused. I'll take any and all advice that you have.

Should I complete a post degree BSW and then apply for the Advanced Standing Masters next time? Should I focus on finding a relevant job and gain experience there and then apply for the 2 year program again? Will that be enough? Should I try and complete a college diploma or certificate in something *related* to social work? I'm so confused :wacko:

Sincerely,

One sad reject:(

I really hear you in how frustrating it can be that to get social work experience, you need social work experience which is maddening. Where I am from, shelter's (particularly the salvation army) hired almost anybody for front desk/reception /support work. Have you applied to support work positions? How did that go? I also echo others that volunteering with shelters and domestic abuse organizations is helpful to get that experience on your resume. Also even if a job says "must have such and such years of experience to apply" apply anyway! They always aim for the moon and there is a chance they may see th value in your experience. I hope that was helpful a little bit. 

Edited by Meemoo

8 hours ago, SWMommy said:

Thanks for the reply.  Hopefully it brings my nervous waiting levels down a few notches over this long weekend.  

11 hours ago, heather.m said:

Hi all. 

I've unfortunately been rejected to both York and U of T for their 2 year MSW programs. I'm hoping to get some advice from those of you who have been through the application process more than once (on how you improved your application for the next cycle), and/or those of you who've been accepted into Master's Programs (not necessarily just at York and U of T). 

Here's a bit of background about me, and what was included in my applications this time around:

I completed a 4 year Honours BA at Ryerson, majoring in "Arts and Contemporary Studies" and minoring in English. My cumulative GPA is 3.73 (on a 4.33 scale), but my GPA for my last year of study is 3.87. I got an A in my research methods course. Work wise, I'm currently employed as a nanny, have worked approx. 2200 hours in that position. Before that, I worked as an Aquatic Coordinator for the City of Toronto in Parks and Recreation (5500 hours). I volunteered for the Yes In My Backyard Festival as their Elected Officials Coordinator (100 hours), and completed a practicum for my degree in which we organized the first ever Social Impact Film Forum (120 hours). I had an unpaid internship with ConferenceCloud Inc. where I worked as a Social Ventures Coordinator (seeking out nonprofit organizations and collaborating with them to utilize the ConferenceCloud platform for their events) (250 hours). 

Looking back on my application now, I realize that compared to everyone else on this forum, I don't have much (or seemingly any) relevant social work experience. I'm feeling extremely lost and confused as to how I'm supposed to gain experience in the field if I do not have a specific education in social work - which is why I was applying to a Masters of Social Work program in the first place. So my question to you all is, how the HECK do you gain experience in the field of social work if you don't have a BSW? What even counts as "social work experience"?! It's now clear to me how important experience is for these MSW applications... I thought that my strong academics and personal statement (which I spent a VERY long time on, and was extremely vulnerable in, discussing my experience with domestic abuse and how that helped inspire me to become a social worker and help those affected by domestic violence) would be enough.

I'm assuming that I won't be able to apply again until fall 2019, since any experience I do gain between now and fall 2018 won't be enough for my application (since they are due in November/December). 

I felt so sure of myself when I first submitted my applications... but this whole situation took such a drastic turn, I'm feeling so unbelievably lost and confused. I'll take any and all advice that you have.

Should I complete a post degree BSW and then apply for the Advanced Standing Masters next time? Should I focus on finding a relevant job and gain experience there and then apply for the 2 year program again? Will that be enough? Should I try and complete a college diploma or certificate in something *related* to social work? I'm so confused :wacko:

Sincerely,

11 hours ago, Sooyeah said:

I completely agree! I am in the same boat! Like what can we do?

Same here! I feel very lost and, Like You, have all these questions...I have no idea how I can improve my experience without a relevant degree but the above ideas are definitely helpful!! Would folks recommend trying to apply for a BSW this upcoming fall instead of applying for an MSW and probably not getting accepted again? 

Edited by Nervousme

10 hours ago, SWMommy said:

Sorry if this was mentioned in another post, but is this for the full time 2-year program as well? 

14 minutes ago, Nervousme said:

Same here! I feel very lost and, Like You, have all these questions...I have no idea how I can improve my experience without a relevant degree...

I understand how this can be frustrating and remember feeling this when i finished my undergrad. I wasnt ready at the time to go to grad school(i was going to apply for clinical psych but it was another 5 year phd program). I ended up doing a one year post grad in concurrent disorders and it had a placement.  I got a job at CMHA and have worked there for the last four years (hired from my placement) and with that experience have got hired in a hospital addictions facility as well.

Although i cant speak to this strengthening your application or notbecause i have only applied to one school and I am not even sure I have been accepted yet. :( but, i did also volunteer at a private treatment centre as well while I was doing my undergrad. I would say volunteer where you can, and maybe completing the BSW could open some doors for you as well :)

Edited by skd05

1 hour ago, Nervousme said:

Same here! I feel very lost and, Like You, have all these questions...I have no idea how I can improve my experience without a relevant degree but the above ideas are definitely helpful!! Would folks recommend trying to apply for a BSW this upcoming fall instead of applying for an MSW and probably not getting accepted again? 

I think that highly depends on what you think your application's weaknesses are. 

For myself, I would go back and do a post-grad BSW mainly to (a) improve my grades and (b) allow me to apply to more schools.  This is because my grades are simply average (I'm older now, and admit I didn't apply myself as well as I could have during undergrad).  It's also because I'm limited in physical location to applying to online programs/ones within driving distance, so being able to apply to more one-year programs would be a great option.

If you need to strengthen the experience, volunteer.  Apply for work everywhere.  Talk to people you know who are doing the work & see how they recommend you "get in" or if they can give you any tips/leads.

47 minutes ago, whatdidigetinto said:

I think that highly depends on what you think your application's weaknesses are. 

For myself, I would go back and do a post-grad BSW mainly to (a) improve my grades and (b) allow me to apply to more schools.  This is because my grades are simply average (I'm older now, and admit I didn't apply myself as well as I could have during undergrad).  It's also because I'm limited in physical location to applying to online programs/ones within driving distance, so being able to apply to more one-year programs would be a great option.

If you need to strengthen the experience, volunteer.  Apply for work everywhere.  Talk to people you know who are doing the work & see how they recommend you "get in" or if they can give you any tips/leads.

@Nervousme

Those are some great ideas! I think it's important to self-reflect and identify the weakest part of your application. You won't gain as much by making the strongest part of your application better, but you gain a lot by making the weakest part of your application better (cause y'know... diminishing marginal returns! haha)

Just wanted to mention that for some people who are struggling with getting relevant experience, a BSW can certainly help with that too. You'll get 1 year of relevant social work experience, and it's not uncommon to get hired by your BSW placement after graduation. Also, BSW programs won't require you to need as much experience to get into the program -- usually just enough to show that you're committed to becoming a social worker. 

2 hours ago, Nervousme said:

Sorry if this was mentioned in another post, but is this for the full time 2-year program as well? 

No problem at all! The person who called is an advisor for the PT online program. She did mention that is has been an extraneous decision making process for both the full and part time programs but that the decisions should go out next week (part time program for sure, got the impression that full time will as well). 

Good morning everyone! Hope you enjoy this long weekend as much as possible :)

Many of you here mentioned Wilfrid Laurier online MSW program, so I would like to ask your opinions - does it make any sense to apply (and maybe even get accepted?!) to this program if I don't have much relevant Canadian experience and academic history? As I mentioned before I have volunteering experince about 1.5yrs in Baycrest and CAMH, I also have some relevant (?) personal experience - war refuge, religious/ethnical minority. Professionaly I have medical background (MD with residency in adoleccent and adult Mental Health) but again not Canadian.

I don't really have anyone to ask and would appreciate any advice or thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

42 minutes ago, _Nomad_ said:

Good morning everyone! Hope you enjoy this long weekend as much as possible :)

Many of you here mentioned Wilfrid Laurier online MSW program, so I would like to ask your opinions - does it make any sense to apply (and maybe even get accepted?!) to this program if I don't have much relevant Canadian experience and academic history? As I mentioned before I have volunteering experince about 1.5yrs in Baycrest and CAMH, I also have some relevant (?) personal experience - war refuge, religious/ethnical minority. Professionaly I have medical background (MD with residency in adoleccent and adult Mental Health) but again not Canadian.

I don't really have anyone to ask and would appreciate any advice or thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

I will give you the advice my husband gave me ...

I wasn't going to apply.  I didn't think I would be accepted, so when I brought the subject up to him I said maybe I should go back for my BSW online.  Work in the area again for a while to get up-to-date experience, maybe better references.  (I've been in a different area so I could work from home/be with the kids.)  Try to apply in a few years when I'd have more confidence in doing so.

He told me if I apply now, I'm giving myself all the reasons why I won't get accepted but there's still a chance provided I actually go through the application process.  If I don't apply at all, then it's 100% guaranteed I won't get in. 

@whatdidigetinto thank you for the advice! Couldn't agree more. Your husband is wise man :)

So, I'll probably apply but I guess my concern is (and now I see it wasn't expressed in my previous post) - will this online degree have any value? Taking into consideration lack of "real" experience, will I be able to apply my msw after graduation? I have an impression that online education might not give me enough practice which is already my weak point and it can lead to unsuccessful employment...

33 minutes ago, _Nomad_ said:

@whatdidigetinto thank you for the advice! Couldn't agree more. Your husband is wise man :)

So, I'll probably apply but I guess my concern is (and now I see it wasn't expressed in my previous post) - will this online degree have any value? Taking into consideration lack of "real" experience, will I be able to apply my msw after graduation? I have an impression that online education might not give me enough practice which is already my weak point and it can lead to unsuccessful employment...

@_Nomad_ I am still waiting to hear from Laurier but in the meantime I have also been looking into the online program because I have been going through this process for a few years now and I am desperate to keep moving forward! I have been emailing one of the enrolment advisors so here is some of the information I got. The program is still valuable in terms of being able to use your degree. You have the same designation as those who were in class at the end of the day its just a different process and it may even be better for you depending on your learning style. She said "the course work will be focused on readings, assignment, case studies and discussion forms"  She also said the online program does not have exams, you are graded on the course work. It also includes a placement portion so you would still be gaining valuable work experience. In terms of the placement she said: There is a placement factor in the program, if you work full time you would have to work part time up until the placement is done, or if you decide to do your placement within your employer within a different department and under a different management then you may not have to go part time depending on the flexibilities with your employer.

My main issue with the program is that you cannot elect the thesis option. This aspect is really important to my goals and my learning and it is the main reason I am not entirely sure if the online option is best for my future. But the other half of me says; just apply so you can get the MSW done so that you can start doing the work you want to do and get involved in research later. 

FYI - she also told me that applications for the Fall 2018 start date will be due in May, so that gives you some time to put some thought into it :) 

16 hours ago, heather.m said:

Hi all. 

Sincerely,

I'm sorry that sucks :( . I know the feeling. I applied four years ago to U of T (a year after my undergrad) and didn't get in. When I applied the first time I also had very little experience in the field (worked occasionally as a respite worker, and volunteered at a residential program for at-risk youth). I did my undergrad at UBC in psychology. And had an 80% average in my last year.

Since getting rejected I have worked 2 years at a youth detox as a youth worker. I am currently working as a youth outreach worker (fulltime) and at a safe house for Aboriginal youth (casually). I also took a year off to travel. At the time of my application I had about 5500 hours of social services experience. 

I have heard that in order to be accepted into an MSW program at U of T (and probably most MSW programs)  they want you to have considerable experience doing similar work to social work already...or else they recommend you to do your BSW first. This is why very few people get in right after their undergrad.  

If you are having trouble finding paid work experience in the field I have heard volunteering at a crisis line looks very good on an application. After gaining crisis line experience you should be able to find paid relevant work as well. Also, most MSW programs in Canada value work experience working with marginalized groups. 

Additionally, I took a social work class at UBC after my undergrad to show my interest and demonstrate I could achieve a good grade in a university level social work class. You can also take workshops or obtain certificates such as ASIST suicide training or Trauma Informed training to boost your resume and experience. Not sure how or if this impacted me getting accepted this time but it can't hurt.

Best of luck to you :)

Edited by Casper13

47 minutes ago, KJE88 said:

@_Nomad_ I am still waiting to hear from Laurier but in the meantime I have also been looking into the online program because I have been going through this process for a few years now and I am desperate to keep moving forward! I have been emailing one of the enrolment advisors so here is some of the information I got. The program is still valuable in terms of being able to use your degree. You have the same designation as those who were in class at the end of the day its just a different process and it may even be better for you depending on your learning style. She said "the course work will be focused on readings, assignment, case studies and discussion forms"  She also said the online program does not have exams, you are graded on the course work. It also includes a placement portion so you would still be gaining valuable work experience. In terms of the placement she said: There is a placement factor in the program, if you work full time you would have to work part time up until the placement is done, or if you decide to do your placement within your employer within a different department and under a different management then you may not have to go part time depending on the flexibilities with your employer.

My main issue with the program is that you cannot elect the thesis option. This aspect is really important to my goals and my learning and it is the main reason I am not entirely sure if the online option is best for my future. But the other half of me says; just apply so you can get the MSW done so that you can start doing the work you want to do and get involved in research later. 

FYI - she also told me that applications for the Fall 2018 start date will be due in May, so that gives you some time to put some thought into it :) 

Thank you so much for sharing this information! Very helpful. There is definitely something to think about :)

Im feeling the same about all that moving forward story... I like to think it is sort of a practice/education too. Imagine how helpful will be our experience for our future work and clients.  

Wish you to get good news from Laurier soon! 

18 hours ago, heather.m said:

Hi all. 

Sincerely,

I would say you are on the right track and that you do need more experience in social work, especially with marginalized populations. Your previous experience is good but probably not what MSW programs are looking for sadly. I am going to be honest and I hope it's okay. I went through the same thing but obviously am not an expert. Being a nanny or working as the aquatic coordinator are good opportunities to learn how to work with people, but you are technically not working with clients who are more vulnerable, or in systems that social workers usually end up in. Here's my advice as someone who went through the application to the 2 year program several times, before I gave up and got a BSW. I was admitted this year to the 1 year program this year: 

1. start looking for places to volunteer ASAP. Good places are shelters, crisis centres, hospices, clinics, hospitals...etc. Get experience on the front line. These places also typically offer additional training. You can also get an idea of that field or agency, and if you like working in that field, or possibly not. It helps you narrow down what kind of social work you want to do. Volunteering is probably your best chance of getting real social work experience. 

2. look into post-degree BSW programs. You will for sure get social work experience at a placement. It's also easier to get into an a one year MSW program with a BSW, than it is to get into a  two year program. You do not lose any time completing a one year BSW then a one year MSW. Either way, you're still working towards your goal. 

3. A lot of applicants will have good grades and strong references but what makes you stand out? They get hundreds and hundreds of applicants who most probably meet the grade and reference criteria. Why should the admissions committee pick you? Everyone applying wants to be a social worker and most likely everyone has a story to tell. Not trying to diminish anything you've experienced, I think it's important that we all get in touch with the reasons why we want to end up in the helping profession. You said you worked hard on your personal statement and that you were vulnerable. I know it can almost feel like a personal rejection because you put yourself out there. But revisit your statement and rework it. Is everything you wrote justifying why you belong in THAT specific program? Research the faculty and read their publications. Look at they syllabi if you can find them. Look for courses that interest you.

I'm assuming you've thought about this but just in case: do your values and career goals align with the program? talk about it. talk about the faculty that you are looking forward to learning from. talk about specific placement options or partner agencies that you would like to do your placement at. Talk about why you belong in that program and what you plan on doing with the education that they offer. Also reflect on your social location and write about it in your personal statement. What community are you from? Write about experiences where you were uncomfortable or where your values/biases were challenged. What did you learn? What experience do you have in working with people from oppressed communities? Or are you member of an oppressed community? 

4. References: who were they? Do you have people writing for you that can assess how you perform in a social work setting? if not, volunteer in a setting where someone can speak to your skills as a future social worker. Or if you do a BSW and your profs or placement supervisor, who are social workers, can write for you. 

It's totally possible to get into the program you like. Really study what they are looking for in an applicant and you can take steps to improve your resume and application for next year. It might take a few tries and some tears, sweat, and heartbreak but this doesn't mean you are never going to become a social worker. You will learn from this round and will try something else next time. I remember I was in your shoes and I know we're not the same, but from someone who has been there before, don't lose hope! Hope this helps. 

Hi all,

I recently got accepted into the 2-year MSW program at UofT. I'm hoping to make some connections before starting this program. Are there any others on this forum who have also been accepted into the 2 year program, and who live in the Hamilton area? If so, would you be interested in connecting?

Please send me a message if you're interested!