Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

5 minutes ago, Sooyeah said:

Umm so just checked York, my file is updated... didn't get in. "Reviewed-unsuccessful"

Sorry to hear that. Did you apply to other schools? 

Last year I got waitlisted in UofT and didn't get in. It's unpleasant but as my dad always says - perhaps it will open you doors to something even better. 

1 hour ago, NootNootPenguin said:

Lol. Same boat. Currently preparing myself for a future in the fast food industry.

Same here :( Just accepted a job in customer service because I'm pretty sure I didn't get in! Sorry to hear that you're in the same boat, don't lose hope, there will be something for us too, even if not right now!! Did you apply anywhere else? 

On a few pages back, someone posted about how Laurier's Online MSW (starting in May) might offer people  Sept start dates if the program fills up. Has anyone else heard this? and who do you usually speak to when you call to inquire about the online application? 

Does anyone know of any online post-grad certificates in social services or anything that might make me more qualified for social work-related jobs? Also, what are some online MSWs and/or BSWs that people know of? Anywhere that is still accepting applications? 

Haven't heard back from UofT which makes me think I didn't get in! Feeling very discouraged :( My undergrad is also more science-based so I have been unsuccessful so far in looking for a job in human services - Does anyone have any advice? It is my absolute dream to become a social worker and I have years of volunteer and paid experience in the human services, but I am having a difficult time deciding what to do now and am not feeling confident at all. 

15 minutes ago, Nervousme said:

Does anyone know of any online post-grad certificates in social services or anything that might make me more qualified for social work-related jobs? Also, what are some online MSWs and/or BSWs that people know of? Anywhere that is still accepting applications? 

Haven't heard back from UofT which makes me think I didn't get in! Feeling very discouraged :( My undergrad is also more science-based so I have been unsuccessful so far in looking for a job in human services - Does anyone have any advice? It is my absolute dream to become a social worker and I have years of volunteer and paid experience in the human services, but I am having a difficult time deciding what to do now and am not feeling confident at all. 

I haven't heard back from U of T but they may not be updating ACORN since they have mailed all the letters yesterday! Don't give up hope yet. 

Renison-University College offers a BSW post graduate degree for 10 months, as long as you meet the prerequisites. 

22 minutes ago, Nervousme said:

University of Manitoba has a distance BSW program. There are also really good graduate certificates from colleges. I did Concurrent Disorders from Confederation College a couple years ago. It's one year and fully distance (or on campus if you want). I loved it! There are a bunch of options though. Do a google search for Online or Distance Social Work Programs Canada.

8 minutes ago, ms_teacher said:

University of Manitoba has a distance BSW program. There are also really good graduate certificates from colleges. I did Concurrent Disorders from Confederation College a couple years ago. It's one year and fully distance (or on campus if you want). I loved it! There are a bunch of options though. Do a google search for Online or Distance Social Work Programs Canada.

I looked into Manitoba's program, and they have a note on their site that they are technically open to Canadians, but try to keep it to people in-province.  They mention WSIB coverage for students during placement as their concern/reasoning 

29 minutes ago, Nervousme said:

Do you know what area/type of social work you want to do? I would recommend if you do find a certificate that is directly related or even find a volunteer opportunity that is related to it. Getting experience in the area you want to work will make you a stronger (and more confident) applicant in the future. Its hard and discouraging not to get in, but its not a one and done shot- you can always reapply

best wishes

10 minutes ago, whatdidigetinto said:

I looked into Manitoba's program, and they have a note on their site that they are technically open to Canadians, but try to keep it to people in-province.  They mention WSIB coverage for students during placement as their concern/reasoning 

I'm actually just finishing up my BSW from University of Manitoba and I live in Nova Scotia. Most of the people who take the program (via distance) do not live in Manitoba. I've liked the program! Dalhousie also offers a distance BSW (I didn't take their program because I heard they were more social justice focused, and I did my first undergrad there, so I wanted to avoid it). Deadlines for both programs have passed though.  

8 minutes ago, Aslwin said:

I'm actually just finishing up my BSW from University of Manitoba and I live in Nova Scotia. Most of the people who take the program (via distance) do not live in Manitoba. I've liked the program! Dalhousie also offers a distance BSW (I didn't take their program because I heard they were more social justice focused, and I did my first undergrad there, so I wanted to avoid it). Deadlines for both programs have passed though.  

That is fabulous to hear.  I'm in Ontario, and still waiting to hear from either school I applied to this round.

If I don't get in this year, it's great to add one more school to this list for next year.  Thanks for your reply.  How did it work with being placed for practicums?

On 3/27/2018 at 10:23 AM, mitchae said:

hahahah I feel you. I just phoned the faculty and they said they will start sounding out the rest of this decisions this Thursday! Although she said since the school is closed Friday, there is a chance you might not hear back until early next week.. 

Just want to bump this as a reminder that some of us may hear back today!! *fingers crossed*

1 hour ago, Emactastic said:

Good luck to you as well! I certainly feel more prepared and ready to pursue my MSW now than I did when I graduated my BSW, but with a husband who has an established career and a toddler at home it limits my choices considerably. I'm remaining optimistic about getting off the waitlist, and if not I will re-apply and apply to some more online programs that I didn't know about for next year. One day I will have my MSW and be able to practice the area of social work where my heart lies.

Best of luck to you!

Just wishing you luck.  I'm also older, and limited in where I can go.  But I'm also more prepared now ... honestly because if I'm paying tuition again I am going to seriously apply myself.

12 minutes ago, Aslwin said:

I would apply to Dalhousie next year for a BSW if this year doesn't work out.  I see it would require spending 2 weeks in Halifax in May which I could definitely handle.  :)  Did Manitoba have any in-person requirement for classes?

4 minutes ago, whatdidigetinto said:

That is fabulous to hear.  I'm in Ontario, and still waiting to hear from either school I applied to this round.

If I don't get in this year, it's great to add one more school to this list for next year.  Thanks for your reply.  How did it work with being placed for practicums?

No problem! Actually, my biggest critique about the program is the practicum process. It is completely up to the student to find and secure a placement. Once you find one, you give the field coordinator the information and they set everything up through the school. So if you do the program, just be prepared to treat finding a practicum like a job search (finding a company/agency/organization, submitting a cover letter and resume, setting up interviews, supplying references). Also if a social work program exists where you live, usually agencies have agreements that make their students a priority. 

5 minutes ago, whatdidigetinto said:

I would apply to Dalhousie next year for a BSW if this year doesn't work out.  I see it would require spending 2 weeks in Halifax in May which I could definitely handle.  :)  Did Manitoba have any in-person requirement for classes?

Nope, no in person requirements! 

4 minutes ago, Aslwin said:

Nope, no in person requirements! 

Never been to Manitoba, but honestly going to Nova Scotia for a few weeks makes applying there that much more appealing ... That sucks about finding your own placements.  I would really have hoped the school would have helped out with it.

11 minutes ago, whatdidigetinto said:

Just wishing you luck.  I'm also older, and limited in where I can go.  But I'm also more prepared now ... honestly because if I'm paying tuition again I am going to seriously apply myself.

I can relate to that!  I never really cared about school when I started university many moons ago and my marks reflect that.  When I went back 10 years later to complete my degree my marks were significantly improved.  I did not know that this was what I wanted to do entirely until last spring/summer.  I applied to the distance BSW at Dalhousie and UVic 2 years ago and was accepted into both but I wasn't ready to pull the trigger and spend all that money.  I needed more time to be certain that this was what I wanted to do.  Now, I am ready and I am grateful that I waited because I believe that Laurier's MSW program is much more suited to my strengths and the values reflect the kind of social work I want to practice.

Best of luck to you! 

12 minutes ago, whatdidigetinto said:

Never been to Manitoba, but honestly going to Nova Scotia for a few weeks makes applying there that much more appealing ... That sucks about finding your own placements.  I would really have hoped the school would have helped out with it.

I currently live in Halifax and can attest to it being a lovely place to visit in the spring!

17 minutes ago, SW Sevante said:

I can relate to that!  I never really cared about school when I started university many moons ago and my marks reflect that.  When I went back 10 years later to complete my degree my marks were significantly improved.  I did not know that this was what I wanted to do entirely until last spring/summer.  I applied to the distance BSW at Dalhousie and UVic 2 years ago and was accepted into both but I wasn't ready to pull the trigger and spend all that money.  I needed more time to be certain that this was what I wanted to do.  Now, I am ready and I am grateful that I waited because I believe that Laurier's MSW program is much more suited to my strengths and the values reflect the kind of social work I want to practice.

Best of luck to you! 

Best of luck to you too!

It was a TREMENDOUS amount of work — I’m literally in awe of folks here who were able to submit applications to two, three, four schools and beyond! Not to mention, to do this more than one application season...

Yeah, I was up until almost 5:00am the ‘night’ we found out...and still barely slept last night. The whole process just winds you up so tight that it takes time to reset.

Haha re you not wanting to potentially ruffle my feathers by saying I was “obsessive”. Nope, wouldn’t be the first time I’ve heard that ;). It’s served me well thus far in terms of final results, but it makes the process rather exhausting. From what I’ve heard about the workload at FIFSW (especially in the first semester), I’m going to have to temper this trait if I want to stay healthy.

I’m BARELY on Facebook myself (and have never been on any other social media), so I totally get your choice. I have to be on for community-based work, though, and it’s lovely to keep in touch with real friends and family. Definitely make an account once you’re finished the semester — the group will be a great resource to have, I’m sure.  

15 hours ago, MSW2018applicant said:

Yes, I can see that you crafted a perfect application! It would have been too much work if you had applied more than one school...^_^ I felt the same way.

Like you said, I wasn't able to fall asleep last night! But at least it wasn't an anxious night anymore. I'm still a bit anxious though. I need to see an official acceptance letter before I can fully relax.

In my last posting, I almost said "I love your obsessiveness" but I didn't because I wasn't sure if it would be perceived as a compliment lol Your obsessiveness will serve you well in grad school :lol:

I actually don't have a facebook account. I know it's rare not to have a facebook account today but I prefer to use email and cell phone to communicate. But I'd like to connect with you guys, so I should create a facebook account to join you guys! I'll do that after I finish my undergraduate studies in a month and when I get more free time :rolleyes: I'm looking forward to it!

Edited by cat_not_kitty
Formatting.

35 minutes ago, whatdidigetinto said:

Thanks!

Its a lot different going back and having a real understanding of money and tuition eh? I was by no stretch an irresponsible kid when I went for my undergrad, but I was only 17 when I went away and I'm in such a different place now.

51 minutes ago, whatdidigetinto said:

1 hour ago, spers said:

I haven't heard back from U of T but they may not be updating ACORN since they have mailed all the letters yesterday! Don't give up hope yet. 

Renison-University College offers a BSW post graduate degree for 10 months, as long as you meet the prerequisites. 

1 hour ago, Emactastic said:

Do you know what area/type of social work you want to do? I would recommend if you do find a certificate that is directly related or even find a volunteer opportunity that is related to it. Getting experience in the area you want to work will make you a stronger (and more confident) applicant in the future. Its hard and discouraging not to get in, but its not a one and done shot- you can always reapply

best wishes

Thank you all so much for this very useful information! I will definitely look more into it once I finish my undergrad and accept that I won't be going to school next year...

@Emactastic Thanks so much for the encouragement! I am interested in clinical social work, specifically working in healthcare as my degree is in health. I am not sure if you know of any certificates and/or jobs that I can apply for that relate to that? 

Edited by Nervousme
Typo