Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

21 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

For those of you who applied to lauriers 2 year on campus and online program, whats your average and experience like, if you dont mind sharing? (: 

83 in my undergrad (wrote my thesis), 90 for my post grad... worked at a detox facility for 2 years, at CMHA for the last 4 years and i teach a course. How about you? Ps i applied to online only.

1 hour ago, SW Sevante said:

Hi all Laurier 2 year MSW hopefuls,

I just broke down and emailed the faculty to inquire about a timeline for results and received this in the automatic reply.

Please note:

Depending on the MSW program, please see below for our target date for all decisions:

·         MSW 2 year full-time program early April

So...I guess we can rest easy (or not) until after the long weekend. 

UPDATE!!!!

I just received an email from Lynn Beney from the faculty at Laurier and she indicated that their "target is to have all decisions finalized by mid-April."

1 hour ago, 2 Year MSW said:

For those of you who applied to lauriers 2 year on campus and online program, whats your average and experience like, if you dont mind sharing? (: 

Hi there! I applied to both and I received an email on Friday asking me which program I would prefer. I replied that I would prefer the full time but would love to attend either. 

My average is 93% but my experience is not as good. I have been a stay at home mom for 3 years while I upgraded my undergrad marks at Laurier. I have an SSW diploma and after this I worked part time on a First Nations reserve for 1.5 years, FT a youth custody facility for 2 years and a group home part time for one year. Haven’t worked in the field since 2015! 

Constantly refreshing this and my email! Haha. Sooo nerve wracking. Although it sounds like it will be awhile longer. 

Wishing you luck!! What are your grades/ experience? 

25 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

Anyone here with a 78% avg who has gotten accepted to any 2 yr msw program? These averages are freaking me out. I feel like everyone who has gotten accepted has such a high average!! 

Hi, I have applied a few times knowing that I wasn't really qualified (I did not decide to pursue social work until after my undergrad which was a BSc in Biology and my GPA was atrocious) but felt going through the process was good practice for when I was a stronger applicant. This is the first year that I have felt like I had a strong application as I have spent the last couple of years gaining experience (which proved to be difficult without a related undergrad) and the coursework/ grades that are necessary.  I think it really depends on the year and who else is applying to the program. Judging by the posts on here it looks like some really amazing candidates have applied this year. Last year my rejection letter from Laurier wasn't helpful at all but the first time I applied to the program a couple of years ago the rejection letter included information about the applicants for that year. I just pulled it out and it said for that year the successful applicants had at least an 80% average in the final year of study and equivalent of two to four years paid or volunteer experience in human service organizations (3500 hours = 2 years).  I've been striving to be that type of applicant over the course of the last couple of years. But again, that is just a snapshot into one application cycle and this year could be different. I didn't go through your other posts to see if you talked about your experiences; but keep in mind that your references and life/work experience play a pretty big role in their decision as well, so a GPA of 78 might be totally okay! Good luck!

Your experience still sounds pretty good! My average is what I am worried about (78%) I am currently working as a caseworker working with the homeless population which i started in Jan (was still able to put this on my experience form) had three 8-month practicums during my undergrad. and volunteered at the court for 8 months after graduation, have been volunteering at a youth centre (been a little over a year) also have a part-time job working with children since aug 2017

6 minutes ago, SWMommy said:

Hi there! I applied to both and I received an email on Friday asking me which program I would prefer. I replied that I would prefer the full time but would love to attend either. 

My average is 93% but my experience is not as good. I have been a stay at home mom for 3 years while I upgraded my undergrad marks at Laurier. I have an SSW diploma and after this I worked part time on a First Nations reserve for 1.5 years, FT a youth custody facility for 2 years and a group home part time for one year. Haven’t worked in the field since 2015! 

Constantly refreshing this and my email! Haha. Sooo nerve wracking. Although it sounds like it will be awhile longer. 

Wishing you luck!! What are your grades/ experience? 

I hope you get it! It's amazing that you did all that while being a mother too, good for you! 

12 hours ago, 2 Year MSW said:

Sooo If anyone received an offer from western’s 2 year msw program and is not planning going there, please decline asap (: lol 

sincerly 

an anxious waitlister 

I feel ya! I keep hoping I will get off the waitlist. I'm so thrilled I got onto the waitlist this year, at least my application was competitive enough to get me there. It's such a small program, and I don't know if that bodes well or not for those of us on the waitlist.

16 hours ago, MSW2018applicant said:

That's what I'm also thinking, but according to the past postings everybody who got invited on ACORN received acceptance letters within a week! So I don't think we have to worry about it... ^_^

Thanks for your response. I emailed Angela and she confirmed an invite status on acorn means an offer of admission:) and that they are sending out admission packages in the mail today.  This is my second time applying to the two-year MSW at U of T... for those of you who don't get in this year don't give up ! Sending everyone good vibes. 

Edited by Casper13
Typo

8 minutes ago, Casper13 said:

Thanks for your response. I emailed Angela and she confirmed an invite status on acorn means an offer of admission:) and that they are sending out admission packages in the mail today.  This is my second time applying to the two-year MSW at U of T... for those of you who don't get in this year don't give up ! Sending everyone good vibes. 

This is so great to hear! I was just coming on here to ask if anyone thought they would have sent out the packages yesterday or today. Thanks for confirming, and congratulations! :lol:

17 minutes ago, spears7 said:

For those who have not received any changes on ACORN, Angela just responded to my email saying: All decisions will be mailed out by the end of this week. 
so I guess one way or another we will finally know. 

This makes me so nervous... if people were seeing their status on ACORN change to “invited” yesterday, and all letters will be going out by the end of the week (which I assume means by tomorrow since Friday is a holiday), wouldn’t that mean the ACORN status change is complete for everyone who’s been accepted? Would it even be possible to receive an acceptance letter before seeing a change on ACORN? Mine is still blank... I have a bad feeling about this ?

Out of reactions (don’t know how that’s even possible!) but thank you for checking in with Angela, spears7 (and @Casper13 — you got my last heart of the day ;)).

Did she speak with any clarity about whether all ACORN updates have been entered into the system at this point?

24 minutes ago, spears7 said:

For those who have not received any changes on ACORN, Angela just responded to my email saying: All decisions will be mailed out by the end of this week. 

17 minutes ago, heather.m said:

This makes me so nervous... if people were seeing their status on ACORN change to “invited” yesterday, and all letters will be going out by the end of the week (which I assume means by tomorrow since Friday is a holiday), wouldn’t that mean the ACORN status change is complete for everyone who’s been accepted? Would it even be possible to receive an acceptance letter before seeing a change on ACORN? Mine is still blank... I have a bad feeling about this ?

11 minutes ago, cat_not_kitty said:

Out of reactions (don’t know how that’s even possible!) but thank you for checking in with Angela, spears7 (and @Casper13 — you got my last heart of the day ;)).

Did she speak with any clarity about whether all ACORN updates have been entered into the system at this point?

Unfortunately, her email was very short and direct and did not answer either of these questions. 
But I am also feeling nervous about the fact that my acorn hasn't changed being a bad sign.

Was just editing my post to reflect that I had reread that you were communicating via email, so that was likely all she said! It’s still so vague: when packages are being mailed out and whether all ACORN updates are in are two different things...I wish, for the sake of eveyone’s hearts, she would just say whether all results have been released as of now. Certainly, she knows that information, and it would allow the processing and planning for alternatives to begin. The lack of transparency isn’t necessary — especially at this point. 

Still holding out hope that all you lovely souls will hear positive news today!

12 minutes ago, spears7 said:

Unfortunately, her email was very short and direct and did not answer either of these questions. 
But I am also feeling nervous about the fact that my acorn hasn't changed being a bad sign.

Edited by cat_not_kitty
Weird formatting due to phone post.

55 minutes ago, spears7 said:

25 minutes ago, spears7 said:

39 minutes ago, heather.m said:

I emailed Angela as well asking about changes in acorn, when we should expect to be hearing back by, whether acorn changes have all been entered, and whether no "invited" means that the application was not successful. She responded with "all decisions will be mailed out by the end of this week" - so same experience, not very clear. I am getting really nervous as well that no "invited" means that I did not get accepted. I just wish they gave more specific answers so I can start thinking of plan b's and planning for the future :(

1 hour ago, Emactastic said:

I feel ya! I keep hoping I will get off the waitlist. I'm so thrilled I got onto the waitlist this year, at least my application was competitive enough to get me there. It's such a small program, and I don't know if that bodes well or not for those of us on the waitlist.

Honestly! It really makes me wonder what they look for cause i seriously thought i would get into windsor but got rejected - plus they take in more students...western only takes 15! 

15 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

Honestly! It really makes me wonder what they look for cause i seriously thought i would get into windsor but got rejected - plus they take in more students...western only takes 15! 

Oh who knows, they aren't very transparent with that. I found it interesting that they don't accept academic references, most programs require one.

5 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

Nothing :( is the is "MSW" supposed to be written there under degree registration or it supposed to be blank until we get an offer an it says "MSW - invited". 

I think it's supposed to say "invited" and the degree details under "degree registration". Don't know what to think of this and whether there will be any more rounds of offers :(