Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

I called and said they cannot really predict since the 2 year program is fairly new. But the lady did say that last year, they  took in "quite a few students" which i guess is a lot since they only have 15 spots. What was your average/experience like if you dont mind me asking? 

14 minutes ago, spears7 said:

Me too! tried emailing her to find out how long the wait list is, but no answer...

I called and said they cannot really predict since the 2 year program is fairly new. But the lady did say that last year, they  took in "quite a few students" which i guess is a lot since they only have 15 spots. What was your average/experience like if you dont mind me asking? 

6 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

my average has always ranged between 78-84%, but i think my experience is what sets me apart. i worked at Canadian mental health for a summer, at a counselling agency for a summer, i volunteered with community living and a school club (both promoting inclusion for those with double diagnoses) for 2 years, i worked at grief camp as a cabin counsellor, and coordinated a depression workshop, and i was a research assistant for a year and half. i am currently finishing up my 4th year of undergrad in psychology.  how about you?

6 minutes ago, spears7 said:

my average has always ranged between 78-84%, but i think my experience is what sets me apart. i worked at Canadian mental health for a summer, at a counselling agency for a summer, i volunteered with community living and a school club (both promoting inclusion for those with double diagnoses) for 2 years, i worked at grief camp as a cabin counsellor, and coordinated a depression workshop, and i was a research assistant for a year and half. i am currently finishing up my 4th year of undergrad in psychology.  how about you?

My avg is 78% . Started a job as a caseworker in Jan 2018 - so i was able to put that on my resume before submitting, had about a year experience volunteering with youth at two different agencies and volunteered at a court house for just under a year. Also had 3 practicums (1 working with children, 1 working with newcomers, 1 working with people involved in the crim justice system) 

6 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

My avg is 78% . Started a job as a caseworker in Jan 2018 - so i was able to put that on my resume before submitting, had about a year experience volunteering with youth at two different agencies and volunteered at a court house for just under a year. Also had 3 practicums (1 working with children, 1 working with newcomers, 1 working with people involved in the crim justice system) 

seems like we have some similarities! is the practicum due to a college program you took? my plan b is doing the social service worker post-university degree at a college. and then going back and doing my masters later. SO MUCH STRESS. 
hopefully they make our lives easier and just accept us off the waitlist :)

8 minutes ago, spears7 said:

seems like we have some similarities! is the practicum due to a college program you took? my plan b is doing the social service worker post-university degree at a college. and then going back and doing my masters later. SO MUCH STRESS. 
hopefully they make our lives easier and just accept us off the waitlist :)

Yup the three practicums were from my undergrad. 

and HONESTLY i have been stressing sooo much today its ridiculous 

1 hour ago, 2 Year MSW said:

Anyone else here apply to the online MSW at Laurier? i applied to the 2-year on campus program as well. Keep waiting for an email from Laurier! I hate how LORIS doesnt let you check the status of your application. Anyone know how many students apply vs get in to the 2 year on-campus program at Laurier? 

Also, do you guys think that the online program starting in May will a little easier to get in since its veryy new and i dont think many people know about it - i applied last minute 

There is a few people on this thread who've applied to the May start/online program at Laurier.  No one's heard anything back yet.

Classes are scheduled to start in approx. 6 weeks, it'd be great if they got the acceptances/rejections out.

10 minutes ago, whatdidigetinto said:

There is a few people on this thread who've applied to the May start/online program at Laurier.  No one's heard anything back yet.

Classes are scheduled to start in approx. 6 weeks, it'd be great if they got the acceptances/rejections out.

Yeah I really hope we hear back veryyyy soon. I feel like my life is kind of on hold right now waiting for university decisions to be emailed/mailed out 

I also discovered that I had "invited" on ACORN this morning (Vancouver time). When we didn't hear back from U of T on the 23rd, I stopped checking ACORN because I couldn't take the anxiety anymore. But when I saw other people saying they had gotten "invited" today, I also logged into ACORN and saw "invited".

MSW at U of T was the only program and school that I applied for. I was initially thinking about applying for other field before I became interested in social work. So I had no work/volunteer experiences directly related to social work, and I wasn't very confident while waiting...

I wanted to express my appreciation for everybody here. Without this forum, the waiting time would have been much worse :o It has been nice to see that everybody here is so supportive. I look forward to becoming classmates with some of you guys! 

Congratulations to everybody who got in and best of luck to those who are waiting to hear back!

7 hours ago, Jess22 said:

Agreed! The waiting continues and I'm getting more and more nervous as they days go on! Does anyone have an idea as to when we'll hear back from Laurier for the 2 year MSW program?

Your guess is as good as mine.  I am pretty sure that I read on here somewhere that Laurier's 2 year acceptances didn't go out until April 3rd last year which means we likely have at least another week of waiting ahead of us.  I keep hoping the 'Easter Bunny' will bring us an early treat but the odds are definitely not in our favour, especially when the on-line folks still have not received results.  From what I have gathered on here Laurier is usually the last university to send out results.

Bright side: No news, is good news for now, yes? :P

2 hours ago, 2 Year MSW said:

Anyone else here apply to the online MSW at Laurier? i applied to the 2-year on campus program as well. Keep waiting for an email from Laurier! I hate how LORIS doesnt let you check the status of your application. Anyone know how many students apply vs get in to the 2 year on-campus program at Laurier? 

Also, do you guys think that the online program starting in May will a little easier to get in since its veryy new and i dont think many people know about it - i applied last minute 

Over 140 applicants still for online:( waiting for it too...

5 hours ago, acciojenna said:

If your status says invited and you click under enroll and manage and then programs, does the MSW show up there?

Hey! Mine says invited but it doesn't show up there yet! I think it won't show there until you actually register!^_^

4 hours ago, heather.m said:

Those of you who have seen your status on ACORN change to “invited”, what letter do your last names start with? Mine is M... I’m wondering if they manually change each person who’s been accepted or if they change all at once. I am absolutely petrified right now 

Mine is with an S, however I know for sure that they never send out admissions alphabetically. So don't panic!

4 hours ago, cat_not_kitty said:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! (Eloquent.)

5aba96eb1c9e0_ACORNINVITED.thumb.jpg.e33a31ca2d0e11c67242ecefd8a8b809.jpg

"Eloquent":lol: That made me laugh! Your online reaction was pretty much my reaction too, I had to close my office door for a solid 20 minutes to regulate my breathing and stop crying hahaha!

3 hours ago, GradApplicant22 said:

Okay, I officially hate this site. JK congrats fellow hopefuls on your long-awaited acceptances :) So what does one do when they had no backup plan?

For all those once rejected, how did you spend your year before being eligible to re apply?

I applied to four programs and was rejected across the board last year. I was crushed, however it was a good opportunity to work in a related field for the past year (and counting). I work with youth, and found that it has only encouraged my to re-apply for my MSW. The opportunity to get real life experience working with kids (which is what I want to focus on) has been indescribable, and showed me that this is a field I am definitely meant to be in. After that, I felt refreshed and ready to tackle this process once again! 

So as cheesy as it sounds, it was definitely a blessing in disguise... I am more sure than ever that Social Work is the field I want to dedicate myself to, and that made it easy to make the decision to re-apply.

34 minutes ago, MSW2018applicant said:

I also discovered that I had "invited" on ACORN this morning (Vancouver time). When we didn't hear back from U of T on the 23rd, I stopped checking ACORN because I couldn't take the anxiety anymore. But when I saw other people saying they had gotten "invited" today, I also logged into ACORN and saw "invited".

MSW at U of T was the only program and school that I applied for. I was initially thinking about applying for other field before I became interested in social work. So I had no work/volunteer experiences directly related to social work, and I wasn't very confident while waiting...

I wanted to express my appreciation for everybody here. Without this forum, the waiting time would have been much worse :o It has been nice to see that everybody here is so supportive. I look forward to becoming classmates with some of you guys! 

Congratulations to everybody who got in and best of luck to those who are waiting to hear back!

I wish I could have just reacted to this post but I ran out of reactions for the day! Just wanted to give you a thumbs up and say congratulations too!

11 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

Nicole, do you mind sharing your average and your experience? (: 

Hello! For the average, I don't know if I missed it completely, but I couldn't find how they calculate it. So, depending on how they calculate it, my average is between 90-91%. In terms of experience, I volunteered with kids in various positions in the past, and more recently volunteered in a couple of different positions within a school and have been working full time in youth justice. It has been such a rewarding experience! It makes me want this so much more, so I can come back in a different capacity to work with the kids. 

4 hours ago, emmasw said:

are folks who are getting in previous students of UofT? 

No, I'm a current UBC student. I'm graduating from UBC in May.

I know professors tend to prefer to take students who are coming from outside of their own universities, but this tradition is for research oriented programs. For MSW at U of T (course based), I think where you completed your undergraduate degree isn't a big factor.  

31 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

really? i spoke to the admissions advisor Dilyara and told me she was unable to disclose that info. What she did tell me is that they take in about 40 applicants 

Thats what i was told...but the story changed everytime i called. Initially told 20 spots. Last time i was told they opened it to 40 spots 

6 hours ago, acciojenna said:

If your status says invited and you click under enroll and manage and then programs, does the MSW show up there?

No, it just says like this:

Enrol & Manage

You are not eligible for course enrolment. For assistance, please contact your registrar or graduate department.

When I point the cursor to "invited", it says "You are still required to make the minimum payment or defer your fees for this academic session before your division's registration deadline. Before the deadline you are eligible to continue enrolling in courses, if applicable." So we probably need to make the payment first to see other contents on ACORN.