Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

1 hour ago, GradApplicant22 said:

Okay, I officially hate this site. JK congrats fellow hopefuls on your long-awaited acceptances :) So what does one do when they had no backup plan?

For all those once rejected, how did you spend your year before being eligible to re apply?

I am in the exact same boat. I have no backup plan and I am scared of even thinking about it. 

That being said though, I am just finishing up my undergrad, so a year off to take some time for myself, work, and get more experience might also be a very good thing! What are some ideas that you have for plan b's? Are you also currently finishing up school? 

You're very welcome! Absolutely don't lose hope – more acceptances are coming!

17 minutes ago, Erin32796 said:

@cat_not_kitty thanks for finding that out! Oh god not many people!! Let's not lose hope!!!

15 minutes ago, Snellbell said:

Yes thank you @cat_not_kitty

11 minutes ago, Nervousme said:

I am in the exact same boat. I have no backup plan and I am scared of even thinking about it. 

That being said though, I am just finishing up my undergrad, so a year off to take some time for myself, work, and get more experience might also be a very good thing! What are some ideas that you have for plan b's? Are you also currently finishing up school? 

I'm gonna wait it out till Mid/Late April for acceptances from Laurier/ UofT. But I applied to some college programs as my plan B just in case. I  got accepted into Autism and Behavioral Sciences(George Brown) and Addictions at Mental Health (Humber) for the Fall 2018 session.

24 minutes ago, Nervousme said:

Congrats @Corrina_22! Did your acorn just recently update? (I am still frantically refreshing mine hoping that it magically updates) :( You must be so relieved and excited though!! 

hey ! yes it was about an hour ago!! I am very excited, thank you. Keep staying positive, you've got this !

1 hour ago, Corrina_22 said:

hey ! yes it was about an hour ago!! I am very excited, thank you. Keep staying positive, you've got this !

Thanks so much for responding, that definitely makes me a little more hopeful - maybe they're releasing answers as they are entering them rather than just sending out all at once! This is going to be a long week or so ahah :( What kind of GPA/experiences do you have? 

9 minutes ago, Teshi said:

I'm gonna wait it out till Mid/Late April for acceptances from Laurier/ UofT. But I applied to some college programs as my plan B just in case. I  got accepted into Autism and Behavioral Sciences(George Brown) and Addictions at Mental Health (Humber) for the Fall 2018 session.

Do the ADMH program at Humber. I was one of the students from the first cohort. It is an amazing program and you'll be amazed by it. Executive directors, employers at addiction agencies, case managers, family counsellors, counsellors, etc. You make life long friends there too. If you don't get into Laurier or U of T go to Humber

12 minutes ago, Nervousme said:

Thanks so much for responding, that definitely makes me a little more hopeful - maybe they're releasing answers as they are entering them rather than just sending out all at once! This is going to be a long week or so ahah :( What kind of GPA/experiences do you have? 

Yes,  I have heard that U of T sends acceptances in waves, which definitely can add to the level of stress and anxiousness. I have my undergrad in Psych and women studies, I had an A- finishing my undergrad. I obtained a graduate certificate in addictions and mental health counselling, after being rejected from U Ottawa M.Ed Counselling Psych program (GPA was 4.8)  I had a 4 month internship through that program, and have been working as an Addictions and Mental Health Counsellor for a year and a half. I don't have any volunteer experience which really worried me. But I feel that my references were strong, as well as my statement. 

Edited by Corrina_22

36 minutes ago, KD.msw said:

Thanks! My work experience is limited in the social work field; however, I was a p/t high school teacher for 5 years. My volunteer experience includes about 400 hours as a summer camp counselor. Compared with others, I don't think my experience is that significant. I was put on the waitlist last year for U of T's 2-year MSW so this is my plan B :) I have been taking the prereqs online through Renison this past year and have had a really great experience. This fall I hope to apply for 1 year MSW programs. 

Congrats on your acceptance to the Waterloo post grad BSW!!! I was waitlisted for the program today, trying to stay positive and keeping my fingers crossed that I will be attending in the fall but definitely had a bit of a meltdown when I received the email. I was pretty confident I would get into this program as my backup to a 2 year MSW at Laurier. Getting waitlisted for a BSW has pretty much killed all hope I had for the MSW. They were not able to tell me how far down the list I am or how many people they typically end up admitting off the waitlist but they did tell me the list is quite small. 

Wondering if there is anyone else on here who was accepted to this program and doesn't plan on attending because they have been accepted into MSW programs? 

7 minutes ago, Snellbell said:

Do the ADMH program at Humber. I was one of the students from the first cohort. It is an amazing program and you'll be amazed by it. Executive directors, employers at addiction agencies, case managers, family counsellors, counsellors, etc. You make life long friends there too. If you don't get into Laurier or U of T go to Humber

Yes, I actually plan too. I find the 3rd-semester placement a good way to get more experience. Too bad it's unpaid volunteer!

5 minutes ago, KJE88 said:

Congrats on your acceptance to the Waterloo post grad BSW!!! I was waitlisted for the program today, trying to stay positive and keeping my fingers crossed that I will be attending in the fall but definitely had a bit of a meltdown when I received the email. I was pretty confident I would get into this program as my backup to a 2 year MSW at Laurier. Getting waitlisted for a BSW has pretty much killed all hope I had for the MSW. They were not able to tell me how far down the list I am or how many people they typically end up admitting off the waitlist but they did tell me the list is quite small. 

Wondering if there is anyone else on here who was accepted to this program and doesn't plan on attending because they have been accepted into MSW programs? 

I have been accepted to the BSW program today and I will not be attending if I get accepted to U of T. Don't be too worried about Laurier! I am sure you will hear back soon, they are just taking a long time. 

3 minutes ago, Teshi said:

Yes, I actually plan too. I find the 3rd-semester placement a good way to get more experience. Too bad it's unpaid volunteer!

Good idea. If you are lucky you could find a placement that pays. I didn't, but there's still hope. I gained a lot of great experience from my placement. The classes really help you prepare. Technically right now I am qualified to be a counsellor, case manager, etc. but I want my masters

5 minutes ago, Teshi said:

I second this.. I did the Durham College ADMH program and it was incredible. It allowed me to get a job in the field, and I believe it helped me get into the MSW program as well.  Its an excellent option that will allow you to learn, develop and grow towards where you want to be

3 minutes ago, Corrina_22 said:

I second this.. I did the Durham College ADMH program and it was incredible. It allowed me to get a job in the field, and I believe it helped me get into the MSW program as well.  Its an excellent option that will allow you to learn, develop and grow towards where you want to be

Also a great program. I worked with someone from the Durham program. She was way more advanced than me, possibly due to longer placement (Humber was only 2 months the first year it started) Now she is a full time counsellor near the GTA

Anyone else here apply to the online MSW at Laurier? i applied to the 2-year on campus program as well. Keep waiting for an email from Laurier! I hate how LORIS doesnt let you check the status of your application. Anyone know how many students apply vs get in to the 2 year on-campus program at Laurier? 

Also, do you guys think that the online program starting in May will a little easier to get in since its veryy new and i dont think many people know about it - i applied last minute 

58 minutes ago, GradApplicant22 said:

Okay, I officially hate this site. JK congrats fellow hopefuls on your long-awaited acceptances :) So what does one do when they had no backup plan?

For all those once rejected, how did you spend your year before being eligible to re apply?

The week isn't over yet! Anything can happen in the next few days and maybe they're not done with sending out acceptances? Who knows right? 

15 minutes ago, karisma said:

The week isn't over yet! Anything can happen in the next few days and maybe they're not done with sending out acceptances? Who knows right? 

I hope not! 

1 hour ago, karisma said:

I truly hope that they will be sending out more acceptances tomorrow and in the next few days! I just need to know :(