Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

5 minutes ago, Nervousme said:

I think it's supposed to say "invited" and the degree details under "degree registration". Don't know what to think of this and whether there will be any more rounds of offers :(

If you go back a couple pages, someone yesterday shared what it looks like once the invited appears on ACORN. Someone called U of T today and Angela said that everything will be mailed out by the end of the week. 

4 hours ago, SW Sevante said:

UPDATE!!!!

I just received an email from Lynn Beney from the faculty at Laurier and she indicated that their "target is to have all decisions finalized by mid-April."

Do you know if this includes both the online format and the 2 year full time program? or just the one?

6 minutes ago, Nervousme said:

I think it's supposed to say "invited" and the degree details under "degree registration". Don't know what to think of this and whether there will be any more rounds of offers :(

It would be strange for them to only do one round of admissions this year, having done more than one in previous years. Especially given the size of the program. I'm thinking Angela gives everyone a stock answer... 

4 minutes ago, smntoronto said:

It would be strange for them to only do one round of admissions this year, having done more than one in previous years. Especially given the size of the program. I'm thinking Angela gives everyone a stock answer... 

She emailed me back saying that "all decisions will be mailed out by the end of the week" so I am really not sure...I hope that there is more than one round but her answer is too vague to be able to tell. Have there been multiple rounds in previous years? If so, how long was it between each? 

28 minutes ago, Emactastic said:

Oh who knows, they aren't very transparent with that. I found it interesting that they don't accept academic references, most programs require one.

Yeah i found that interesting too! what is your avg/experience like? and did you get accepted to any other schools u applied to 

56 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

Honestly! It really makes me wonder what they look for cause i seriously thought i would get into windsor but got rejected - plus they take in more students...western only takes 15! 

Did Windsor give you any feedback on why they rejected your application? 

26 minutes ago, Nervousme said:

She emailed me back saying that "all decisions will be mailed out by the end of the week" so I am really not sure...I hope that there is more than one round but her answer is too vague to be able to tell. Have there been multiple rounds in previous years? If so, how long was it between each? 

Their website says decisions will be made by mid April. I checked my aplication online and it still has "under review" status. So...hopefully there is another round?

4 minutes ago, whatdidigetinto said:

Did Windsor give you any feedback on why they rejected your application? 

No but apparently they are supposed to. I called Windsor to find out and the lady told me that it just said "due to high competition of the program and limited space, we are unable to offer admission at this time" she said its pretty broad/general and if there was another reason it would say. She transferred me to Erika who would have more info so i left her a voicemail - waiting on a call back from her. 

I got accepted into the Advanced Standing MSW at UofT. For those who got an "Invited" status on ACORN, I got that status prior to getting my acceptance letter a couple days later! I think its a good sign! 

Edited by karem

12 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

No but apparently they are supposed to. I called Windsor to find out and the lady told me that it just said "due to high competition of the program and limited space, we are unable to offer admission at this time" she said its pretty broad/general and if there was another reason it would say. She transferred me to Erika who would have more info so i left her a voicemail - waiting on a call back from her. 

Thanks.  I'm waiting for a reply from their MSW for Working Professionals program. 

16 minutes ago, whatdidigetinto said:

Thanks.  I'm waiting for a reply from their MSW for Working Professionals program. 

How many hours of post grad experience do you have? My friend is in the MSWWP program and she for sureeee did not have the required amount of hours they ask for - idk how she got in lol

1 hour ago, 2 Year MSW said:

Nothing :( is the is "MSW" supposed to be written there under degree registration or it supposed to be blank until we get an offer an it says "MSW - invited". 

Mine is still blank as well! :( 

From what I understand, it is supposed to be blank until it says "MSW -invited". I am thinking that they did not do any updating today. Perhaps they will do another round tomorrow. I have absolutely no clue but I am still hoping that they are still updating. In past years, they did not update all at once so I am hoping for the best.

If they are sending out decisions by tomorrow, then we should know by the middle of next week :)

A lot of people are talking about Angela's vague response of "All decisions will be mailed out by the end of the week"

I actually had a similar conversation with Angela about this when I spoke to her in person at one of the information sessions last year. 

What she told me is that the only OFFICIAL source of your decision is the letter mailed out by the school of graduate studies. And due to that, there is a really limited amount of information that the can give you until that letter is sent. (Don't want to step on the toes of the school of graduate studies.) Since the acorn status is "unofficial" she can't officially tell you about why you do or do not see "Invited".

She also told me that all letters for each program are typically all sent out at once, unless they choose to make an exception for whatever reason. So whether or not the "Invited" statuses are updated in multiple batch jobs, the letters typically are sent out in one go. Of course this is all subject to change. Hope this helps. 

41 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

How many hours of post grad experience do you have? My friend is in the MSWWP program and she for sureeee did not have the required amount of hours they ask for - idk how she got in lol

Does she like the program?  I'm at 8200 hours post-grad, and meet their requirement.  But I haven't been working in the field for a while as I've been home with my kids.  And my average is ... well could honestly be better (but I'm over their 73% requirement) as I didn't prioritize school during my undergrad.  But I'm significantly older & hopefully wiser now.

11 minutes ago, acciojenna said:

Hi everyone- I got Angela on the phone and while her response was still vague, she told me that all letters were mailed out today. Meaning by the time we had spoken (an hour ago) all the letters had been sent out. 

I am a bit nervous because my ACORN didn't change today but I will know soon enough if the letters were mailed out today :)

Does anyone know if people have been accepted without their ACORN status changing? (in the past). I feel like I am bracing myself for a waitlist or rejection because my status didn't change. 

14 minutes ago, whatdidigetinto said:

Does she like the program?  I'm at 8200 hours post-grad, and meet their requirement.  But I haven't been working in the field for a while as I've been home with my kids.  And my average is ... well could honestly be better (but I'm over their 73% requirement) as I didn't prioritize school during my undergrad.  But I'm significantly older & hopefully wiser now.

I feel you on the under-grad front @whatdidigetinto.  My average for Laurier admission is the worst part of my application.  I have a lot of employment, volunteer and life experience as I am older too.  Hopefully that will offset the academic average which in my opinion is not really indicative of whether or not you would be a good Social Worker, but what do I know?!  LOL.

I have a friend who is currently in the U of Windsor MSW program for working professionals and she said many came from other fields and have no previous experience in the field so I am confident that you are ahead of the game. As for enjoying it, she is happy and has no complaints thus far.

Edited by SW Sevante

9 minutes ago, spers said:

I am a bit nervous because my ACORN didn't change today but I will know soon enough if the letters were mailed out today :)

Does anyone know if people have been accepted without their ACORN status changing? (in the past). I feel like I am bracing myself for a waitlist or rejection because my status didn't change. 

It appears that people have in fact gotten accepted without their status changing (so i'm also trying to stay a little hopeful) but I think they were in the minority or at least reflected as such in this forum. 

30 minutes ago, SwagMaster said:

A lot of people are talking about Angela's vague response of "All decisions will be mailed out by the end of the week"

I actually had a similar conversation with Angela about this when I spoke to her in person at one of the information sessions last year. 

What she told me is that the only OFFICIAL source of your decision is the letter mailed out by the school of graduate studies. And due to that, there is a really limited amount of information that the can give you until that letter is sent. (Don't want to step on the toes of the school of graduate studies.) Since the acorn status is "unofficial" she can't officially tell you about why you do or do not see "Invited".

She also told me that all letters for each program are typically all sent out at once, unless they choose to make an exception for whatever reason. So whether or not the "Invited" statuses are updated in multiple batch jobs, the letters typically are sent out in one go. Of course this is all subject to change. Hope this helps. 

That's definitely helpful and gives me a glimpse of hope, so thank you for that :)

Edited by Nervousme

9 minutes ago, SW Sevante said:

I feel you on the under-grad front @whatdidigetinto.  My average for Laurier admission is the worst part of my application.  I have a lot of employment, volunteer and life experience as I am older too.  Hopefully that will offset the academic average which in my opinion is not really indicative of whether or not you would be a good Social Worker, but what do I know?!  LOL.

I have a friend who is currently in the U of Windsor MSW program for working professionals and she said many came from other fields and have no previous experience in the field so I am confident that you are ahead of the game.

Does she like the program?  I've applied for the Peel location.  I've also applied to Laurier's online program.  Still waiting to hear from both.

5 minutes ago, whatdidigetinto said:

Does she like the program?  I've applied for the Peel location.  I've also applied to Laurier's online program.  Still waiting to hear from both.

She is in the Peel location and she seems to like it (no complaints so far). :)  Any word on a timeline for Laurier's on-line program? 

4 minutes ago, SW Sevante said:

She is in the Peel location and she seems to like it (no complaints so far). :)  Any word on a timeline for Laurier's on-line program? 

We're supposed to know by the end of March - which would be tomorrow. 

But I've been told so many different dates that I'm skeptical it's going to happen.

6 minutes ago, SW Sevante said:

And I'm glad to hear she's liking it.  I haven't heard a lot about the program, but it's not far from me and the set-up is a great fit.