Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

I was wait-listed as well! I honestly was expecting a rejection letter and it made me sick to my stomach when my mom told me that she received my letter. She then told me over the phone that I was wait-listed and I started shaking. I just came out of my undergrad although I am a mature student and got into Uoft through the Bridging Program (I only completed grade 10). Since I withdrew from high school, I was nervous how the faculty would respond to my application. In my personal statement I described how my biggest accomplishment was deciding to go back to school even though I've been out of school for 5 years.

@Nervousme, congratz for getting in! I know what it's like to feel down and suffer from psychological distress, it is part of the reason why I originally dropped out. I'm sure you will make a wonderful contribution to the program because of your life experiences. 

I have been following this thread since the beginning and I'd like to thank you for being so kind, helping out through advice and giving reassurance.  Some of your suggestions have made an impact on me and made me push forward through pursuing a post-graduate college certificate and going back to a research assistant position that I gave up because I moved.

Congratulations to those who were accepted, you guys deserved it! Wait-listers continue on with your lives and be happy that UofT gave you a bit of a chance. Rejections keep applying if you want to become a UofT MSW applicant and continue getting volunteer/work experience. If this is a passion of yours then nothing should stop you from pursuing it. I tell myself that everyday!

2 hours ago, smntoronto said:

Same! Just got the letter in the mail and I live in downtown Toronto.  I was waitlisted in 2015 so this comes as no surprise.

Same for me! I live downtown, was waitlisted in 2015, and was waitlisted again for 2018 at U of T. 

I'm a little upset about it, but my first choice is Laurier so I'm trying to find solace in that. I also got a really good job in public health about a month ago, and I think that I can be happy to stay there for a little while. 

Here is some background for future applicants or fellow wait-listers:

My grades from undergrad weren't amazing, and I had to go back after I graduated to get some more social science credits (my degree is in something pretty unrelated)... my average is a B+. In my research course I an A-, but I don't have very much paid research experience. I didn't have any academic references, just employment.

I also went back and got a certificate in Solution Focused Counselling from OSIE (I thought that would also help round out my marks, but I guess not!!)

I have about 8000 hours in a related field, and about half of those hours came from direct work with vulnerable families in a case management environment.

I thought my written statement was really great (especially when comparing it to my application in 2015), and my references were also stronger.  

For everyone who was rejected or waitlisted for the first time this year... don't give up! In hindsight, being waitlisted in 2015 was actually really great for me. It gave me the opportunity to stay in a job I loved for another 2 years, and to get more financially stable. It also gave me an opportunity to really clarify what I want in my career. 

It sucks now, but just keep looking for that silver lining and stay positive! 

I won't be accepting my spot on the waitlist, so thats one less person to compete with for an opening! 

*Edited to say that I didn't have an ACRON account set up, so I can't tell if it's updated or not.

Edited by foxstock
missed info

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and this is my first time posting. Congrats to everyone who has received their acceptances! I haven't heard anything from U of T yet on acorn and am still awaiting the Laurier results but I don't think I will be accepted because of my experience. I do have volunteer experience in human services but do not have direct work experience in the social work field. 

I was wondering, which would be better to take; a Concurrent Disorders graduate certificate or a Social Service Worker intensive diploma ? I know most Social Service Worker programs have two work placements and allow for registration as a Registered Social Service Worker after graduation. The Concurrent Disorders program I am looking at (at Mohawk college) only has one 200 hour work placement and does not give any professional accreditation after graduation (one could register to become a member of the CCACF, however it appears like they would not be qualified for a Canadian Certified Addiction Counselor designation). It does however teach about counselling, mental health, addictions, and related interventions. 

Also, did anyone apply to the BSW post-degree at McMaster? I applied to it and wrote their admissions test. I was wondering what other people's experiences were in the McMaster process and how competitive it was to get in (i.e. SWAT scoring). 

Thanks for the assistance!

Edited by Aces92

3 hours ago, Nervousme said:

Congratulations! Your dedication, persistence, and passion are encouraging and inspiring, so thank you for that :) I definitely think that the self-care piece is a very important thing, and something that I will definitely be working on in this year off. What are some tips that you have or experiences that you can share that helped you get through the tough time and through getting waitlisted? 

@NervousmeThank you so much! Definitely letting go and trying my best to not judge myself. I am fortunate to have a therapist who I can see often for free! I took a mindfulness course at the hospital. Honestly meditation was a huge help for me in conjunction with therapy. Having a strong support system is always good. I joined a meditation group, book club, pilates, and pottery. Consistency is key!

34 minutes ago, Aces92 said:

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and this is my first time posting. Congrats to everyone who has received their acceptances! I haven't heard anything from U of T yet on acorn and am still awaiting the Laurier results but I don't think I will be accepted because of my experience. I do have volunteer experience in human services but do not have direct work experience in the social work field. 

I was wondering, which would be better to take; a Concurrent Disorders graduate certificate or a Social Service Worker intensive diploma ? I know most Social Service Worker programs have two work placements and allow for registration as a Registered Social Service Worker after graduation. The Concurrent Disorders program I am looking at (at Mohawk college) only has one 200 hour work placement and does not give any professional accreditation after graduation (one could register to become a member of the CCACF, however it appears like they would not be qualified for a Canadian Certified Addiction Counselor designation). It does however teach about counselling, mental health, addictions, and related interventions. 

Also, did anyone apply to the BSW post-degree at McMaster? I applied to it and wrote their admissions test. I was wondering what other people's experiences were in the McMaster process and how competitive it was to get in (i.e. SWAT scoring). 

Thanks for the assistance!

I would take the SSW program. Ontario has changed their criteria for working in mental health and social services and in 2 years everyone working in the field will have to belong to a professional organization so it would beneficial to take the SSW diploma.  

I wrote the SWAT for McMaster and in all honesty found it much more difficult than my masters application for Laurier. I honestly do not feel very confident about it at all and the post-degree BSW was my back-up plan. :(

I know nothing about how they rank that test but I assume that it would be that they are looking for responses that represent the praxis of the program. The only thing I know is that it is ranked 50% academic and 50% SWAT. I don’t think they even take lived/volunteer/work experience into consideration which is pretty disappointing for me but for you this may be a huge advantage if you are lacking in that area. :) 

I also think that BSW, MSW, SSW programs have seen a huge increase in applicants this year because of the new legislation being implemented in Ontario. People working in the field who are not ‘grandfathered’ in have 2 years to get the schooling they need in order to have that professional designation which I believe makes all of the programs that much more competitive.

Good luck with the SWAT results. Do you know when they are supposed to send out acceptances? 

Edited by SW Sevante

56 minutes ago, _Nomad_ said:

Well, I just checked my mail. Unfortunately not accepted. Pretty sad. 

I’m sorry to hear that you’re sad! I got rejections across the board last year, so I understand. Let yourself feel it for a bit, but ultimately l found it was good motivation to keep working on my resume! I hope you can find the same, and wish you all the best. You will do it! 

2 hours ago, skd05 said:

Ive never heard this and would be shocked if they did. They had alot of applicants for May. They will have alot more applicant's in september im sure. I cant see them letting people in without reapplying..... I am not sure though. I contacted Miljana today again as I was told end of March. She said she thought it would be but we will have to wait longer.

I spoke to someone yesterday and was told this is true. They will be offering eligible people sept spots if there is no room for may. They didnt specify how many people they will send off to sept but they will call and confirm with you first if you are okay with it 

5 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

I spoke to someone yesterday and was told this is true. They will be offering eligible people sept spots if there is no room for may. They didnt specify how many people they will send off to sept but they will call and confirm with you first if you are okay with it 

You spoke with someone in the Faculty of Social Work about this?

32 minutes ago, SW Sevante said:

I would take the SSW program. Ontario has changed their criteria for working in mental health and social services and in 2 years everyone working in the field will have to belong to a professional organization so it would beneficial to take the SSW diploma.  

I wrote the SWAT for McMaster and in all honesty found it much more difficult than my masters application for Laurier. I honestly do not feel very confident about it at all and the post-degree BSW was my back-up plan. :(

I know nothing about how they rank that test but I assume that it would be that they are looking for responses that represent the praxis of the program. Not certain that I was able to convey that as their focus is not really my passion. The only thing I know is that it is ranked 50% academic and 50% SWAT. I don’t think they even take lived/volunteer/work experience into consideration which is pretty disappointing for me but for you this may be a huge advantage if you are lacking in that area. :) 

I also think that BSW, MSW, SSW programs have seen a huge increase in applicants this year because of the new legislation being implemented in Ontario. People working in the field who are not ‘grandfathered’ in have 2 years to get the schooling they need in order to have that professional designation which I believe makes all of the programs that much more competitive.

Good luck with the SWAT results. Do you know when they are supposed to send out acceptances? 

Thanks SW Sevante for the reply and important info! I did not know that everyone working in social services/ mental health will need a professional designation in two years. That is big news and will significantly impact my decision. 

I think the post degree BSW results will be released from early to mid June. From what I heard they accept around 25 people for the post degree intake (source: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php/getting-into-social-work-53057.html). I feel okay about my first two answers but sort of ran out of time for the last one and had to rush it. I found it difficult also. Best of luck to you and hope you get accepted !

Edited by Aces92
Attached link as a reference.

39 minutes ago, SWMommy said:

Hi Everyone!

Did anyone else receive a call from the Laurier’s part time program admissions department today? I got a call around one. She said she would call with the decision on Monday, Tuesday latest. Not sure about the full time program though. 

Hey is this for the 2 year online program part time? Also who did you speak to? Were they just calling to give you a heads up? sorry for all the questions lol i am just really interested in this program 

6 minutes ago, Aces92 said:

Thanks SW Sevante for the reply and important info! I did not know that everyone working in social services/ mental health will need a professional designation in two years. That is big news and will significantly impact my decision. 

I think the post degree BSW results will be released from early to mid June. From what I heard they accept around 25 people for the post degree intake. I feel okay about my first two answers but sort of ran out of time for the last one and had to rush it. I found it difficult also. Best of luck to you and hope you get accepted !

I just heard about this new legislation this morning from a Social Worker.  I had no idea either.  Ugh, June and only 25 people...:(

16 minutes ago, NootNootPenguin said:

Lol.... waitlisted. Good luck to everyone rushing home to read their mail. 

I'm not living in Toronto and there was nothing in my mail :( they're even slow to reject me lol and now I have to spend my entire long weekend in anticipation :'(

Edited by Nervousme

Sure! 

- 3.7 average in final year 

- Peer support group facilitator for the MS Society (almost 2 years)

- Youth Employment counsellor (5 summers' worth of experience) and about another 8+ months of not really (but kinda) relevant experience doing admin/reception @ a pretty big multi-service organization in Toronto

- Volunteered at the Ronald McDonald House during undergrad , some mentorship type stuff, and McMaster Children & Youth University where we worked in collaboration with schools and community agencies in priority neighbourhoods 

But no research or anything like that. Whatever, not surprised. My volunteer/work experience is pretty mediocre in comparison to the rest of you:)

28 minutes ago, SW Sevante said:

I just heard about this new legislation this morning from a Social Worker.  I had no idea either.  Ugh, June and only 25 people...:(

I currently work for a regulatory body so I can verify this is true! By 2020 I believe anyone providing mental health care services (ie: psychotherapy, therapy) must be a member of the College of Registered Psychotherapists, OCSWSSW, College of Occupational Therapists, College of Nurses of Ontario or the College of Psychologists. 

20 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

I’m sorry to hear that you’re sad! I got rejections across the board last year, so I understand. Let yourself feel it for a bit, but ultimately l found it was good motivation to keep working on my resume! I hope you can find the same, and wish you all the best. You will do it! 

Thank you for your kind words! Really means a lot.

It is not a disaster of course but still frustrating. It took me almost 6 years to prepare myself for applying to university, get some volunteering/working experience.  I moved 6 yrs ago from another country and it  took me few years to learn English from zero and to understan the system. And honestly I was sure with my professional background and personal experience I am good candidate for this program.

I guess I'm just sad that I missed all these years...