Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

Oh god I am so scared. I really hope the letter from U of T says I got accepted. Crossing my fingers that we all get our packages asap!

Edited by Erin32796

On 3/14/2018 at 2:11 PM, Emactastic said:

Hey,

I emailed them regarding the waitlist and they said that due to people pulling themselves off the waitlist and them sometimes pulling conditional offers etc that the don't release where you are on the waitlist!  I know they have a small program, so I'm being cautiously optimistic about getting off of it. I was previously rejected from their program in 2013 when I first finished my BSW, so getting on the waitlist is a step forward!

Hello!! 

Are you still wait listed for 1 year MSW at Western / Kings. 

I emailed them about time frame and they never replied. I am getting anxious!! How are you managing?

On 3/27/2018 at 4:56 PM, KJE88 said:

Congrats on your acceptance to the Waterloo post grad BSW!!! I was waitlisted for the program today, trying to stay positive and keeping my fingers crossed that I will be attending in the fall but definitely had a bit of a meltdown when I received the email. I was pretty confident I would get into this program as my backup to a 2 year MSW at Laurier. Getting waitlisted for a BSW has pretty much killed all hope I had for the MSW. They were not able to tell me how far down the list I am or how many people they typically end up admitting off the waitlist but they did tell me the list is quite small. 

Wondering if there is anyone else on here who was accepted to this program and doesn't plan on attending because they have been accepted into MSW programs? 

@KJE88 I believe that if you are waitlisted you can opt for a seat in the part-time program! I did this anyhow (just finishing the program this semester, accepted to the 1yr Laurier MSW for 2018.) I called Marion when I was initially waitlisted, and she told me that the previous year 3 people got off the list, and it had 12 on it. She couldn't tell me my exact position, but said that I had "JUST" missed that top 3 cut off, so there was a chance I might not get off it and she offered me a seat in the part-time program, and it was the BEST decision of my life. Everyone in my cohort had practical work experience which really helped in terms of our learning and growing with each other, and taking fewer classes meant I could still work, and I think a lot of the part-time cohort got better grades than the full time, which is SO important for msw's after. I would seriously consider this option, and then do the 1yr at Laurier after! :)

SUPER helpful clarification, SwagMaster!! Thank you for sharing this!

3 hours ago, SwagMaster said:

A lot of people are talking about Angela's vague response of "All decisions will be mailed out by the end of the week"

I actually had a similar conversation with Angela about this when I spoke to her in person at one of the information sessions last year. 

What she told me is that the only OFFICIAL source of your decision is the letter mailed out by the school of graduate studies. And due to that, there is a really limited amount of information that the can give you until that letter is sent. (Don't want to step on the toes of the school of graduate studies.) Since the acorn status is "unofficial" she can't officially tell you about why you do or do not see "Invited".

She also told me that all letters for each program are typically all sent out at once, unless they choose to make an exception for whatever reason. So whether or not the "Invited" statuses are updated in multiple batch jobs, the letters typically are sent out in one go. Of course this is all subject to change. Hope this helps. 

Edited by cat_not_kitty
Fixing capitalisation.

27 minutes ago, kv32 said:

@KJE88 I believe that if you are waitlisted you can opt for a seat in the part-time program! I did this anyhow (just finishing the program this semester, accepted to the 1yr Laurier MSW for 2018.) I called Marion when I was initially waitlisted, and she told me that the previous year 3 people got off the list, and it had 12 on it. She couldn't tell me my exact position, but said that I had "JUST" missed that top 3 cut off, so there was a chance I might not get off it and she offered me a seat in the part-time program, and it was the BEST decision of my life. Everyone in my cohort had practical work experience which really helped in terms of our learning and growing with each other, and taking fewer classes meant I could still work, and I think a lot of the part-time cohort got better grades than the full time, which is SO important for msw's after. I would seriously consider this option, and then do the 1yr at Laurier after! :)

@kv32Thank you so so much for posting this!!! Is Marion someone from the school of social work or one of the admissions coordinators? I've been speaking to an admissions coordinator but when I asked if I would be able to meet with someone to get feedback on my application and make it stronger for next year she said  I would have to contact the school of social work directly (although she did say she didn't think that was necessary yet -which I took as a positive) so I am guessing she wouldn't be the person to speak to about potentially getting a spot in the part-time program. Fingers still crossed I get off the waitlist April 11th when they re-evaluate (and of course still hoping for the 2yr MSW at Laurier lol) but you've made a really good case for the part-time program!  Was it difficult to work your employment around school/placement hours? Did you drop your employment hours to part time or did you work full time? 

Congrats on your acceptance to the 1yr program! Hope your experience there is amazing!  

Congratulations!!! Fingers crossed for you for Laurier, but incredible that you have this excellent plan ‘B’! I’ve heard great things about the program and once you’re done, you’ll have so many 1-year programs to apply to, all with higher acceptance rates than 2-year programs — AND, no time lost. Yay!

24 minutes ago, Aspiringmsw2320 said:

Guys! 

Lakehead has sent out decisions for their 1-year BSW program. Accepted!! Yay. I was rejected from Carleton, Windsor, York, and Western. I’m waiting for Laurier. But I feel extremely relieved that I got my backup. 

23 hours ago, cat_not_kitty said:

That's exactly what I decided about applying in the end – I had made a carefully considered decision to go to U of T, so I just focused all my energy on pulling together the best application possible for that one school. Glad it worked out, indeed.

I was thinking that I would finally get a good night's sleep, but now I'm wondering if the excitement will keep me up. Ah, well – certainly better that than the anxious fitfulness that has plagued me for the past few weeks.

You're most welcome – glad my obsessiveness was helpful ☺️. Looking forward to meeting you in person in September – and I'm sure we'll be creating a Facebook group soon for us all to meet virtually before that!

Yes, I can see that you crafted a perfect application! It would have been too much work if you had applied more than one school...^_^ I felt the same way.

Like you said, I wasn't able to fall asleep last night! But at least it wasn't an anxious night anymore. I'm still a bit anxious though. I need to see an official acceptance letter before I can fully relax.

In my last posting, I almost said "I love your obsessiveness" but I didn't because I wasn't sure if it would be perceived as a compliment lol Your obsessiveness will serve you well in grad school :lol:

I actually don't have a facebook account. I know it's rare not to have a facebook account today but I prefer to use email and cell phone to communicate. But I'd like to connect with you guys, so I should create a facebook account to join you guys! I'll do that after I finish my undergraduate studies in a month and when I get more free time :rolleyes: I'm looking forward to it!

2 hours ago, Aspiringmsw2320 said:

Guys! 

Lakehead has sent out decisions for their 1-year BSW program. Accepted!! Yay. I was rejected from Carleton, Windsor, York, and Western. I’m waiting for Laurier. But I feel extremely relieved that I got my backup. 

Congrats! I also got in!! Which campus?? I was also accepted to Calgary's 2-year MSW but I'm seriously considering Lakehead because it's one year and not such a major life upheaval at the moment.

7 minutes ago, ms_teacher said:

Congrats! I also got in!! Which campus?? I was also accepted to Calgary's 2-year MSW but I'm seriously considering Lakehead because it's one year and not such a major life upheaval at the moment.

Congrats on getting in! When I did a post-grad college degree I moved (although not quite thattttt far) and it was one of the best things I could have done!

I'm just curious what your application status changed to in your Lakehead account? It is my back up plan but still hoping to find out asap!

5 minutes ago, ashketchum said:

Congrats on getting in! When I did a post-grad college degree I moved (although not quite thattttt far) and it was one of the best things I could have done!

I'm just curious what your application status changed to in your Lakehead account? It is my back up plan but still hoping to find out asap!

I move ALLLLL the time. Haha. I'm totally cool with new places so it's not about that at all. I just had a major life change in the last 3 weeks though and it's affecting every single decision I make. 

I haven't received an email or anything by my Lakehead status looks like this....

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 8.13.27 PM.png

2 hours ago, ms_teacher said:

I move ALLLLL the time. Haha. I'm totally cool with new places so it's not about that at all. I just had a major life change in the last 3 weeks though and it's affecting every single decision I make. 

I haven't received an email or anything by my Lakehead status looks like this....

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 8.13.27 PM.png

Hi there! I got the same message :) Congrats on getting admitted! Wishing you all the best ^___^

7 hours ago, MSW2018applicant said:

Yes, I can see that you crafted a perfect application! It would have been too much work if you had applied more than one school...^_^ I felt the same way.

Like you said, I wasn't able to fall asleep last night! But at least it wasn't an anxious night anymore. I'm still a bit anxious though. I need to see an official acceptance letter before I can fully relax.

In my last posting, I almost said "I love your obsessiveness" but I didn't because I wasn't sure if it would be perceived as a compliment lol Your obsessiveness will serve you well in grad school :lol:

I actually don't have a facebook account. I know it's rare not to have a facebook account today but I prefer to use email and cell phone to communicate. But I'd like to connect with you guys, so I should create a facebook account to join you guys! I'll do that after I finish my undergraduate studies in a month and when I get more free time :rolleyes: I'm looking forward to it!

I also don’t have a Facebook account! I was thinking of the same thing in regards to the MSW group that will be created :lol: You’re not alone :P

9 minutes ago, spers said:

I am too scared to check ACORN today so if anyone checks today, let me know if it has been updated :)

I checked and no luck for me. I am trying to accept that and let's wait for the mail!

18 hours ago, 2 Year MSW said:

Yeah i found that interesting too! what is your avg/experience like? and did you get accepted to any other schools u applied to 

My average is just above their minimum requirements, not sure exactly to be honest. I graduated my BSW in 2013 from Carleton and have been working in Child Protection for a little over three years, I also have experience working with adults with developmental disabilities and volunteered with victim services as a crisis responder for 3 years. I applied to Dalhousie and did not get in there. I applied to Kings while still in my BSW and didn't get in then, so last summer I took some courses as an alumni to bump my GPA.

15 hours ago, 242penguin said:

Hello!! 

Are you still wait listed for 1 year MSW at Western / Kings. 

I emailed them about time frame and they never replied. I am getting anxious!! How are you managing?

I am, someone posted in response to me that people have heard back as late as end of July in past years about getting off the wait list. I'm trying to be optimistic about getting in. Its hard to try and plan for myself and my family next year not knowing, but I've been going from contract to contract at my current job so the uncertainty is nothing new.

Are you still waiting as well? did you apply anywhere else?

28 minutes ago, Emactastic said:

I am, someone posted in response to me that people have heard back as late as end of July in past years about getting off the wait list. I'm trying to be optimistic about getting in. Its hard to try and plan for myself and my family next year not knowing, but I've been going from contract to contract at my current job so the uncertainty is nothing new.

Are you still waiting as well? did you apply anywhere else?

You have some great experience.  Did you apply anywhere else besides King’s? I have heard that they weigh academics very heavily there. I think you would definitely be competitive at Laurier and U of T. 

10 hours ago, ms_teacher said:

I am on the Orillia campus. Ya in retrospect this route is actually a great option. I heard that because the classes you’re in enrolled in while completing placement are online, that you could do placement in your hometown. I live at home right now, so only having to move for 6 months would save me money! 

35 minutes ago, SW Sevante said:

You have some great experience.  Did you apply anywhere else besides King’s? I have heard that they weigh academics very heavily there. I think you would definitely be competitive at Laurier and U of T. 

I applied to Dalhousies online program and did not get in. I was waitlisted at Kings so I'm hoping to get off the waitlist there. I looked at the UWindsor program but it isn't the right fit for me. I unfortunately have to either do online or Kings as my husband and I are not in a position to move to accommodate me going to school.

1 hour ago, Emactastic said:

I applied to Dalhousies online program and did not get in. I was waitlisted at Kings so I'm hoping to get off the waitlist there. I looked at the UWindsor program but it isn't the right fit for me. I unfortunately have to either do online or Kings as my husband and I are not in a position to move to accommodate me going to school.

Well I wish you all the best and I can completely relate.  I only applied to Laurier for the exact same reason. It’s so hard when you are older and more established as the process is so much more rigid when you are limited by personal lifestyle factors. Fingers crossed for you. I truly have a lot of respect for other mature applicants as I am one too and completely understand the difficulty in pursuing your ideal career and the the barriers that this can sometimes come along with that. Good luck! 

4 minutes ago, SW Sevante said:

Well I wish you all the best and I can completely relate.  I only applied to Laurier for the exact same reason. It’s so hard when you are older and more established as the process is so much more rigid when you are limited by personal lifestyle factors. Fingers crossed for you. I truly have a lot of respect for other mature applicants as I am one too and completely understand the difficulty in pursuing your ideal career and the the barriers that this can sometimes come along with that. Good luck! 

Good luck to you as well! I certainly feel more prepared and ready to pursue my MSW now than I did when I graduated my BSW, but with a husband who has an established career and a toddler at home it limits my choices considerably. I'm remaining optimistic about getting off the waitlist, and if not I will re-apply and apply to some more online programs that I didn't know about for next year. One day I will have my MSW and be able to practice the area of social work where my heart lies.

Best of luck to you!