Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

Ah, no – tell me it wasn't your birthday today! If it was, I'm SO sorry you had to go through such a terribly stressful day ?. I really believe there will be more acceptances!! In past years, there have been multiple rounds. Big hugs ?.

7 minutes ago, Erin32796 said:

Congratulations!!! Wish I had heard back today, would have been an awesome birthday present. :(

1 hour ago, cat_not_kitty said:

Haha – glad you share my sense of humour, because you're going to be dealing with it for the next year...or two, depending on your stream ? (I'll be choosing Social Justice and Diversity – you?)! Thankfully, I was working from home, so I could let my many changing reactions out with no consequence. And there were many...and they're still ebbing, flowing, and evolving this many hours later. This was an incredibly emotional experience – so happy to have been able to share it with so many incredible applicants and future classmates and colleagues.

My preferred stream is Children and Families! But I look forward to possibly dealing with it for a year! :lol: I completely agree, I'm still going through waves of emotion as well! I also agree that there are so many wonderful people on here. We're all going to make great social workers, I have no doubt about that!

Edited by nicoleMSW

@SW Sevante Thanks!! I am trying to maintain hope! I feel confident that I am a good candidate. 4.21 GPA out of 4.3, I almost have my BA in Criminology with a specialization in youth, crime, and violence. I am also doing a minor in forensic psych. I dont have a lot of work experience specifically in the field because I am so young, only 22, but I have worked as a project assistant for a PhD student and I have worked as a camp coordinator for Durham Children's Aid Society for 2 years. My thesis also revolves around perceptions and treatment of children and youth in care, which is widening the scope of research surrounding this population. I am proud of these achievements, and I hope I get in. Everyone who has been accepted so far has had such a breadth of academic and work experience it is like the Olympics of Social Work in this forum! Lol. Im just going to keep crossing those fingers, toes, and butt cheeks for an answer soon. ?

13 minutes ago, cat_not_kitty said:

Ah, no – tell me it wasn't your birthday today! If it was, I'm SO sorry you had to go through such a terribly stressful day ?. I really believe there will be more acceptances!! In past years, there have been multiple rounds. Big hugs ?.

Yeah today is my birthday! Thank you for the kind words. It was a mixture of stress and excitement for everyone! I have survived today, so I will keep pushing and hoping for an acceptance in the days to come. :)

That's exactly what I decided about applying in the end – I had made a carefully considered decision to go to U of T, so I just focused all my energy on pulling together the best application possible for that one school. Glad it worked out, indeed.

I was thinking that I would finally get a good night's sleep, but now I'm wondering if the excitement will keep me up. Ah, well – certainly better that than the anxious fitfulness that has plagued me for the past few weeks.

You're most welcome – glad my obsessiveness was helpful ☺️. Looking forward to meeting you in person in September – and I'm sure we'll be creating a Facebook group soon for us all to meet virtually before that!

24 minutes ago, MSW2018applicant said:

Thank you so much, cat_not_kitty, and congratulations to you, too!

Yes, relying on one school was really stressful. I debated whether I should apply for other schools as my backups, but I wanted to put all my energy onto my application for my first choice. I'm glad it worked out in the end.  I can finally sleep without worrying about having a nightmare tonight ^_^ 

By the way, your summary of when U of T sent out admission offers in the past years was so helpful! Thank you so much for all the informative and warm postings. I look forward to meeting you in September!

33 minutes ago, Erin32796 said:

Congratulations!!! Wish I had heard back today, would have been an awesome birthday present. :(

Happy birthday, Erin32796! As many other people already said, they will still continue sending out acceptance letters. So I hope you get a belated birthday present from U of T soon.

5 minutes ago, MSW2018applicant said:

Happy birthday, Erin32796! As many other people already said, they will still continue sending out acceptance letters. So I hope you get a belated birthday present from U of T soon.

I hope so too!! Thanks! :) I have quelled my nerves in some chocolate cake! ;)

Happy birthday!! Glad to hear that you had cake to soothe your spirits at least (mmmmm, cake). As MSW2018applicant said, hopefully you get a beautiful belated bday present in the next couple of days – your GPA, research, and experience are absolutely incredible...they'd be lucky to have you.

19 minutes ago, Erin32796 said:

Yeah today is my birthday! Thank you for the kind words. It was a mixture of stress and excitement for everyone! I have survived today, so I will keep pushing and hoping for an acceptance in the days to come. :)

Fingers crossed for Laurier – is that your first choice or are you just keeping options open?

We certainly WILL make excellent social workers! I've been so touched by the openness, warmth, and supportiveness displayed by everyone.

30 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

My preferred stream is Children and Families! But I look forward to possibly dealing with it for a year (depending on what happens with Laurier!) :lol: I completely agree, I'm still going through waves of emotion as well! I also agree that there are so many wonderful people on here. We're all going to make great social workers, I have no doubt about that!

6 minutes ago, cat_not_kitty said:

Fingers crossed for Laurier – is that your first choice or are you just keeping options open?

We certainly WILL make excellent social workers! I've been so touched by the openness, warmth, and supportiveness displayed by everyone.

Thank you! I am just trying to stay unassuming until I know all the facts about acceptances/rejections, and then go from there! 

On 3/22/2018 at 12:27 AM, ecauley said:

Hey guys!

So i actually joined the facebook group for MSW class of 2019. Right now everyone in the group is in the two year program, but as we are advanced we will join them next year to all graduate at the same time! The group is very active and helpful!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1875361996041031/?multi_permalinks=2038544556389440&notif_id=1521685055645063&notif_t=group_activity&ref=notif

the group is called UofT MSW at FIFSW - Class of 2019

Thank you guys! @socialwerqer 

I am attending the Welcome Session in April and will be staying in Toronto for a week - beside a hotel do you guys have any suggestions for accommodation? I didn’t know much about Toronto and would desperately like some assistance. 

Edited by CaribbeanSW

On 2018-03-12 at 10:50 PM, skd05 said:

Oh wow thanks for the info

I was told two more weeks two weeks ago. Best of luck. Ill let you know either way:)

When i spoke to someone regarding the 2 yr online msw program (around mar 20) they told me that they were originally doing rolling admissions but had to change it due to the high volume of applicants they received. So applications for a start date of may 2018 were due on mar 23rd and they said it should take a month to reach decisions. I didnt know about them possibly offering sept 2018 start dates for those who didnt make the may cut off

On 2018-03-12 at 12:45 PM, Emactastic said:

Just chiming in to see if there is anyone else out there that applied to Kings (Western). I was waitlisted on Feb 20th. I just haven't heard/seen much about Kings on here. Mostly the schools in the GTA.

Waiisted on feb 27 for the 2 yr program! 

12 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

When i spoke to someone regarding the 2 yr online msw program (around mar 20) they told me that they were originally doing rolling admissions but had to change it due to the high volume of applicants they received. So applications for a start date of may 2018 were due on mar 23rd and they said it should take a month to reach decisions. I didnt know about them possibly offering sept 2018 start dates for those who didnt make the may cut off

I heard that but honestly cant picture them offering September start dates without paying for another application when theres a whole other line up of people waiting to apply for september!

I was told the earlier you applied the earlier youd hear back however im notsure how true this is. I spoke with the advisor two weeks ago and she said likely end of march, beginning of april latest! So im remaining hopeful :( its my only choice and feasible option.

On 2018-03-23 at 5:18 PM, SWMommy said:

Hi everyone! First time poster here. I applied to 4 MSW programs last year and was sadly unsuccessful. This year I applied to Laurier and Western. I was rejected from Western a few weeks ago. 

Here is my question: This year I applied to both the full and part time MSW programs at Laurier. I just received an email this afternoon asking me which is my preferred choice (FT or PT). I am unsure if this is good or bad news. Has anyone else received this email? I have received acceptances to other graduate programs but Social Work has always been my dream.

Thank you in advance for your responses. Wishing you all the best during the process. You all seem like you will be wonderful Social Workers. 

Hi there which stream did u apply for 1 yr or 2 yrs?

7 minutes ago, skd05 said:

I heard that but honestly cant picture them offering September start dates without paying for another application when theres a whole other line up of people waiting to apply for september!

I was told the earlier you applied the earlier youd hear back however im notsure how true this is. I spoke with the advisor two weeks ago and she said likely end of march, beginning of april latest! So im remaining hopeful :( its my only choice and feasible option.

Yeah i know what you mean. I feel like since the program is so new, the admissions team is trying to figure everything out themselves leaving us with different answers everyday lol

10 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

Sooo If anyone received an offer from western’s 2 year msw program and is not planning going there, please decline asap (: lol 

sincerly 

an anxious waitlister 

LOL is this your dream program??

Hi all Laurier 2 year MSW hopefuls,

I just broke down and emailed the faculty to inquire about a timeline for results and received this in the automatic reply.

Please note:

Depending on the MSW program, please see below for our target date for all decisions:

·         MSW 2 year full-time program early April

So...I guess we can rest easy (or not) until after the long weekend. 

Edited by SW Sevante