Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

On 2/26/2018 at 7:27 PM, Aspiringmsw2320 said:

Samantha from King’s told me that decisions should be made by early March. Since this week technically starts March (on Thursday) I have been compulsively checking my email and student centre. Gah.  I am really banking on King’s, especially since that is where I did my undergrad. Did you end up going to King’s?

Only one day on the waitlist? thats awesome! haha 

I have been on westerns waitlist for a month now. Do you know how many applicants they get?

On 2/27/2018 at 12:53 PM, ecauley said:

This morning I got an email from Laurier that their selection process is completed and that I can be waitlisted if I want to be. It says in the email that there are 35 spots for the waitlist and that you can be accepted from the waitlist until july 31 2018. you also have until March 20 to say if you would like to accept or decline to be on the waitlist. I did not notice any differences to my LORIS account. Hope this helps!

Are you a two year or one year applicant?

5 minutes ago, Casper13 said:

Does invited on acorn for u of t for sure mean you are accepted ? I feel nervous about celebrating only to find out I actually didn't lol :/ 

That's what I'm also thinking, but according to the past postings everybody who got invited on ACORN received acceptance letters within a week! So I don't think we have to worry about it... ^_^

Does anyone know/have a list of York's affiliated practicum placements? I've been accepted to York but haven't heard from U of T yet (2 year MSW for both), and I'm trying to prepare should I have to decide between the two. Obviously York's funding is a huge incentive, but I'm trying to get an idea of program fit based on what I think I need. Let me know if you have any info!

7 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

Anyone know how many applications Western's 2 year MSW program receives and how many laurier's 2 year on-campus receives? 

When I attended the Laurier Info Night they indicated that they get upwards of 800 applicants for the 2 year program and they accept an average of 80 students.  This fluctuates year to year but this is probably a good average.  With that being said, they also stated that they often weed out quite a few applications right off the top because people failed to follow the instructions and/or did not submit a complete application. I would say it's a 10-15% acceptance rate for the 2 year program but don't quote me on this. 

11 minutes ago, lydia616 said:

Does anyone know/have a list of York's affiliated practicum placements? I've been accepted to York but haven't heard from U of T yet (2 year MSW for both), and I'm trying to prepare should I have to decide between the two. Obviously York's funding is a huge incentive, but I'm trying to get an idea of program fit based on what I think I need. Let me know if you have any info!

Hey Lydia! I asked Ammad about this before submitting my application and he told me they don't keep a list. After receiving my acceptance yesterday I asked him for some insight on what students' experience has been with securing practicums in Toronto, given the competition with U of T students. I'll let you know what he says :)

8 minutes ago, smntoronto said:

Hey Lydia! I asked Ammad about this before submitting my application and he told me they don't keep a list. After receiving my acceptance yesterday I asked him for some insight on what students' experience has been with securing practicums in Toronto, given the competition with U of T students. I'll let you know what he says :)

Oh good to know you asked! looking forward to hearing what the answer is because this is a big part in my decision making should I get accepted to UofT!

29 minutes ago, skd05 said:

Sorry laurier ?

@skd05I think you are mistaken about the numbers in the 2 year program, unless the friend is graduating in 2018.  There is a Facebook group called "Laurier 2 year MSW 2017-2019" that has 87 members.  It is a closed group so I doubt that anyone who is not currently in the program can join.  This also would align with the information that was provided at the info night where they said the approximate numbers for acceptance was around 80 people. I used to work in Corrections so my investigative work is still pretty good.  ;)

Edited by SW Sevante

Congratulations, MSW2018applicant!! You must be so relieved to know that you've been accepted to the one school you applied to (I was in the same boat). Looking forward to being classmates!

1 hour ago, MSW2018applicant said:

I also discovered that I had "invited" on ACORN this morning (Vancouver time). When we didn't hear back from U of T on the 23rd, I stopped checking ACORN because I couldn't take the anxiety anymore. But when I saw other people saying they had gotten "invited" today, I also logged into ACORN and saw "invited".

MSW at U of T was the only program and school that I applied for. I was initially thinking about applying for other field before I became interested in social work. So I had no work/volunteer experiences directly related to social work, and I wasn't very confident while waiting...

I wanted to express my appreciation for everybody here. Without this forum, the waiting time would have been much worse :o It has been nice to see that everybody here is so supportive. I look forward to becoming classmates with some of you guys! 

Congratulations to everybody who got in and best of luck to those who are waiting to hear back!

10 minutes ago, cat_not_kitty said:

Congratulations, MSW2018applicant!! You must be so relieved to know that you've been accepted to the one school you applied to (I was in the same boat). Looking forward to being classmates!

CONGRATS to all those who received acceptance today.  An extra special shout out to cat_not_kitty for getting in, not that I had any doubt!!!  :)

Haha – glad you share my sense of humour, because you're going to be dealing with it for the next year...or two, depending on your stream ? (I'll be choosing Social Justice and Diversity – you?)! Thankfully, I was working from home, so I could let my many changing reactions out with no consequence. And there were many...and they're still ebbing, flowing, and evolving this many hours later. This was an incredibly emotional experience – so happy to have been able to share it with so many incredible applicants and future classmates and colleagues.

1 hour ago, nicoleMSW said:

"Eloquent":lol: That made me laugh! Your online reaction was pretty much my reaction too, I had to close my office door for a solid 20 minutes to regulate my breathing and stop crying hahaha!

5 hours ago, Nervousme said:

I am in the exact same boat. I have no backup plan and I am scared of even thinking about it. 

That being said though, I am just finishing up my undergrad, so a year off to take some time for myself, work, and get more experience might also be a very good thing! What are some ideas that you have for plan b's? Are you also currently finishing up school? 

I am finishing up my second undergraduate degree in psychology with a thesis specialization so I was kind of ready for this. I have already taken a few years off between them both so I am ready and hungry for it now, you know? But if it's not meant to be I am going to move to an island somewhere... I will probably apply to jobs I am not qualified for and continue to volunteer :)

28 minutes ago, SW Sevante said:

@skd05I think you are mistaken about the numbers in the 2 year program, unless the friend is graduating in 2018.  There is a Facebook group called "Laurier 2 year MSW 2017-2019" that has 87 members.  It is a closed group so I doubt that anyone who is not currently in the program can join.  This also would align with the information that was provided at the info night where they said the approximate numbers for acceptance was around 80 people. I used to work in Corrections so my investigative work is still pretty good.  ;)

Sorry my friend is in the part time program!!! I messed up guys ??

Thank you, SW Sevante!!! I'm drinking that champagne that I dutifully saved last week...and maaaaaaan does it taste EXTRA GOOD. Years of selflessness, struggle, false starts, and blind alleys...I'm feeling a wild, messy confusion of emotion tonight.

Now we just need you to get into Laurier!

24 minutes ago, SW Sevante said:

CONGRATS to all those who received acceptance today.  An extra special shout out to cat_not_kitty for getting in, not that I had any doubt!!!  :)

Edited by cat_not_kitty
Forgot to quote you!

19 minutes ago, cat_not_kitty said:

Thank you so much, cat_not_kitty, and congratulations to you, too!

Yes, relying on one school was really stressful. I debated whether I should apply for other schools as my backups, but I wanted to put all my energy onto my application for my first choice. I'm glad it worked out in the end.  I can finally sleep without worrying about having a nightmare tonight ^_^ 

By the way, your summary of when U of T sent out admission offers in the past years was so helpful! Thank you so much for all the informative and warm postings. I look forward to meeting you in September!

Ok, so I finally figured out how to use this forum... Congratulations to all of you who got accepted! 

I read too much about ACORN here :), activated and checked mine today - there's nothing. Do you think there is still a chance I can be accepted?

Edited by _Nomad_