Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

Hey all 1-year advanced standing msw waitlisters for UofT...Do any of you know/have heard in the past when the first people heard that they made it off the waitlist in the past? Not sure if this was addressed in this thread but if anyone knows that would be great...I have a few child protection job offers and am hoping to know relatively when people first hear if they have been offered a spot off of the waitlist. 

Also...Does anyone know if you can defer your waitlist acceptance for a year? 

11 minutes ago, viclane96 said:

Hey all 1-year advanced standing msw waitlisters for UofT...Do any of you know/have heard in the past when the first people heard that they made it off the waitlist in the past? Not sure if this was addressed in this thread but if anyone knows that would be great...I have a few child protection job offers and am hoping to know relatively when people first hear if they have been offered a spot off of the waitlist. 

I spoke to Terry earlier this week and he said that people usually hear if they have been offered a spot off the waitlist as early as the first week of June. However, you can get off the waitlist as late as August!

23 minutes ago, 2 Year MSW said:

ahh ok. Did Miljiana tell you this when you got the offer or when you applied? Maybe they reviewed your application back in January when they though they were doing rolling admissions so they already had a decision made? 

I havnt spoke to Miljana since my offer came in! She told me this the day I finished my application.

4 hours ago, Terrens123 said:

Hey everyone! Long time lurker, but I just received my offer of admission in the mail. I see that some of you are discussing about starting up a Facebook page for the class of 2020 @MSW2018applicant @nicoleMSW @cat_not_kitty. I'm quite active on Facebook (more than I should be) and can create one! :)

EDIT: I've gone ahead and created one. The group's name is: University of Toronto MSW at FIFSW | Class of 2020.

The following is a link to the page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/209577219803864/?source=create_flow

Looking forward to meeting and working with all of you! 

Thank you! I just created my Facebook account so I will join now! 

Side note: I think me trying to figure out Facebook is hilarious. I feel like I should be more technologically savvy than I am...

2 hours ago, idmsw said:

Is there anyone here who has been accepted to Laurier and was put on UofT's 2 year Wait list? I read on LORIS that we need to accept/decline by April 24th but I am worried about accepting and then getting admitted into UofT. I am wondering if anyone else is in this situation. UofT is my ultimate goal but I am very excited about getting into Laurier as well! 

I'm currently sitting on that decision as well (and waiting to see if perhaps I'm waitlisted at York, since that's my top choice). I'd like to call them and ask what the deposit is, because I'll probably go the route @foxstock suggested and see how that plays out. It doesn't sit well with me though, since if I don't get into UofT then I'll probably feel "stuck" with Laurier and I don't want to have that kind of attitude towards a great program :unsure:

37 minutes ago, viclane96 said:

Most - if not all - grad programs don't let you defer acceptance, and the same is plausibly true for waitlist status as well

48 minutes ago, viclane96 said:

http://socialwork.utoronto.ca/admissions/admissions-faqs/

You can defer. Don't know how the process works though. 

3 hours ago, EndlesslyWaiting said:

I am so stupid. Yes - 2 year MSW program at UofT! (Sorry) lol

You're not stupid! We're human and we make mistakes- remember that :)

You said it said decision made on your SGS page? Mine recently changed a few days ago! received my offer package today ! Decision made can be anything from an acceptance, wait list or rejection BUT i read above that someone got an offer even without acorn updated soooooooooo yaaaa dont trust the system LOL. you got this hopefully :) 

7 hours ago, cat_not_kitty said:

Got my official acceptance package from U of T yesterday evening! Super exciting to have it in hand and be able to officially announce everything to friends/family/referees, etc. Apart from that, there wasn't all that much information in it.

Very exciting to hear that some folks received acceptances WITHOUT their ACORN updating! Fingers crossed for all those who are still waiting to receive their packages!!

Thought I would share that I called Angela to ask whether one should assume that one didn't receive an entrance scholarship if there was no information about that in the package and she said that that was a completely different process that would take place later. I tried to make it clear that I was asking about the entrance scholarships based on GPA specifically (the $4000 ones, which HAVE been included in packages in past years), as opposed to the internal awards process that takes place after classes start...she seemed to understand what I was referring to, but she was quite distracted sounding. It seems odd to me that information about entrance scholarships wouldn't be provided as part of an offer...

Tagging in a few people who I know off the top of my head are accepted to U of T's 2-year program (so sorry for anyone I missed), so they have this info, and to ask whether anyone received information on/confirmation of an entrance scholarship with their packages. Do any 1-years have any feedback on this?

And finally (rather all over the place this post – sorry!), should we go ahead and start our official UofT MSW at FIFSW class of 2020 Facebook group :D? I'd be happy to do it, but it might actually make more sense for someone who's more active on FB to take the administrator reigns, so that requests to join the group are dealt with in a timely fashion. Anyone up for taking that on?  I'll send you a PM with my name, as I believe you need to add at least one other member when creating a group (and happy to take on secondary admin role).

@karisma @MSW2018applicant @nicoleMSW  @hannahdaviidson @MEGSMSW2018 @Hopeful4 @tr11 @Rectitude

yay!! i got mine in the mail too :)

congrats friend!!

haha fb groupssss- just when you become socially inactive the universe tells ya to join it again 

2 hours ago, smntoronto said:

If you're referring to York's MyFile mine has also not changed from No Decision Yet! I received a phone call re my acceptance on March 27 and haven't heard or received a thing since :huh:. Although, if you received a phone call already you can be sure you're accepted. They must just be really slow in updating their system

*EDIT: I didn't realize U of T had "MyFile" too, only ACORN. My bad! 

Ya! That's why I got confused LOL

Uoft uses ACORN and york uses myfile but  no worries- we all know who was talking about what ^_^

37 minutes ago, KJE88 said:

Has anyone started a Facebook group for those who will be attending Laurier's 2 year MSW?

I was just searching for this!! I haven’t seen anything yet. Maybe we should start one?? Haha. I am not very Facebook savvy though ?

2 hours ago, idmsw said:

Is there anyone here who has been accepted to Laurier and was put on UofT's 2 year Wait list? I read on LORIS that we need to accept/decline by April 24th but I am worried about accepting and then getting admitted into UofT. I am wondering if anyone else is in this situation. UofT is my ultimate goal but I am very excited about getting into Laurier as well! 

I accepted another offer at Laurier as I awaited the MSW news because they required a response by March 7 and I wasn’t sure if I would get into the MSW.  I was told that I can take back my acceptance as long as I make a decision between the two programs by April 25. So I think it is safe to accept the Laurier offer with the possibility of backing out for U of T down the line...there will be a waitlist and someone will take your spot at Laurier ?

3 hours ago, _Nomad_ said:

Hello everyone,

Congrats to all accepted and fingers crossed to all of you who are still waiting. 

So I came up with another silly question and would be grateful if someone could answer it:  is there any required minimum of field practice hours for MSW graduate? 

Thank you in advance!

Not sure if I am understanding your question correctly. Do you mean how many hours of field practice do you have to complete during your MSW to be able to register with the college of social workers following graduation? I would assume that every program with accredidation would require you to complete at least the minimum number of hours but this document might help answer your question. Scroll to page 13 of the document where it talks about field education. 

http://caswe-acfts.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/CASWE-ACFTS-Standards-11-2014.pdf

CASWE-ACFTS-Standards-11-2014.pdf

Edited by KJE88

58 minutes ago, SWMommy said:

I was just searching for this!! I haven’t seen anything yet. Maybe we should start one?? Haha. I am not very Facebook savvy though ?

Is anyone else interested?? I kinda stopped using Facebook other than to keep track of friends who have moved out of the country/province but someone started a group for one of the classes I took last semester and it was actually helpful. 

59 minutes ago, foxstock said:

Does anyone have any examples of placement locations for Laurier? I know they don't list them because it changes year to year, but I'm curious to see a couple of names! Maybe someone knows past MSW students from Laurier?

The website says: "Once admitted to the program, students participate fully in the placement planning process which begins immediately upon their acceptance to the Faculty of Social Work. The Field Education Office communicates with the students upon acceptance to the program and provides a detailed outline of the placement planning and matching process." 

I have accepted my offer and I've already received a couple of different emails but nothing about placements yet. I will definitely let you know if I get an email regarding potential placement agencies. It sounds like you can even propose an agency if there is somewhere you have in mind. 

20 minutes ago, KJE88 said:

Is anyone else interested?? I kinda stopped using Facebook other than to keep track of friends who have moved out of the country/province but someone started a group for one of the classes I took last semester and it was actually helpful. 

I am definitely interested :) do we know if there's a group yet or should we make one? 

9 minutes ago, KJE88 said:

The website says: "Once admitted to the program, students participate fully in the placement planning process which begins immediately upon their acceptance to the Faculty of Social Work. The Field Education Office communicates with the students upon acceptance to the program and provides a detailed outline of the placement planning and matching process." 

I have accepted my offer and I've already received a couple of different emails but nothing about placements yet. I will definitely let you know if I get an email regarding potential placement agencies. It sounds like you can even propose an agency if there is somewhere you have in mind. 

This is so exciting! Was this taken from Laurier’s  MSW main page? I didn’t see it. 

33 minutes ago, Nervousme said:

I am definitely interested :) do we know if there's a group yet or should we make one? 

I found a group for previous years but I haven't been able to find anything for 2018-2020. I don't mind starting one but maybe do a quick search before I do to make sure I'm not missing something. 

43 minutes ago, KJE88 said:

Thank you!! I will put my thinking cap on...