2018 Applications Thread

Hi all, hope everyone's doing great. 

I come bearing some news. My friend who is currently attending UCSB said they are sending out visitation invites next week. But, note that the invitation to visit is not a concrete offer. My friend did not visit last year but was still offered admission. Just a heads up for anyone who's applied to UCSB. 

I did an interview with WVU last week; I guess it went well but you never know. They are taking in 5 doctoral candidates out of the 22 "good pile" list. They fund all admitted students. 

Fingers cross. I want to hear from UT Austin soon. :( 

@Pato

Wow that sounds amazing! I think I can guess...I may well hit you up in a PM, especially if I end up hearing from them. Glad to hear that its a great place to be. Sorry to hear that you're having to try and head elsewhere :(

OMG so I just talked to my advisor yesterday, and we were talking about my application for Colorado State. So long story short I went to pay my application fee and it gave me an error and kicked me out of my account, and I haven't been able to get back to my landing page. I tried emailing them but got no response back. My advisor is a recommender and the one who said to apply to Colorado, so I felt so bad telling her that I didn't know if my application was submitted. shrug

21 minutes ago, surprise_quiche said:

@GreenEyedTrombonist  I don't know it might be too late I think, but I might. 

I had the same problem with Wayne State and it fixed the next day, I didn't even have to call in. If you only just missed the due date, it takes them a few days at the graduate school and the department secretaries to certify the info and put them into packets for the committee. I had to call NU about my name change to have all the info in the same package and they were very helpful.

Also, yesterday I had a long conversation on Twitter with the Graduate Union President at Wayne State (they're also a Comm PhD student) about the process. Lucky for me, the two people I picked for POI, both huge fans of Gramsci (my current advisor is a Gramsci scholar and my writings have plenty of historical materialism/Marxists stuff in it) and are low on advisees right now, so with my activist research I am REALLY likely to get in. Even more! My first pick has ZERO advisees and my research is right up her alley. 

She also told me, there are faculty and one non-voting graduate union rep on the committee and they met last Friday for the first time and it was very long, so they were def going over the application packets. They are meeting again this week and they are scheduled to send out their first round beginning of Feb. The visit for invites is in March, when funding packets are more complete (fellowships to be decided). This isn't a very "competitive" department, but they have very active faculty with a lot of research published every year. 

20 hours ago, Ishouldbewriting said:

Thank you! My concentration is in health comm. Specifically, I'm interested in how to create, assess, and organize campaigns. 

Are you waiting on any other schools?

That sounds interesting! I'm waiting on two more actually. The wait is torturous!

Hey y'all! I had an interview at Madison a week or two ago with an amazing POI who said someone else would likely call me for a second interview. 

Today I received my first decision: waitlisted at Minnesota - Twin Cities. I guess that's not too bad considering I'm still in undergrad but it's obviously not ideal. 

In other news, I'm presenting at an international argumentation conference this April so maybe I'll see some of y'all there! 

@sriracha18 congrats on the interview and waitlist (it's not a rejection yet, yay)! I had a very short follow-up email from my Madison interview (I sent them a thank you and some additional info I didn't remember to say when answering a question) and the prof said "we'll be in touch in the near future" so I'm currently overanalyzing that phrase, haha. From what I've seen, no one has been contacted for a second interview yet. x]

My mom just asked me if I wanted to live with her and my dad if I get into a closer school and commute in. Am I considering it since I'm broke and love my parents and free food?  Yes.

Edited by surprise_quiche

@surprise_quiche That's how I afforded doing my MA. I live in one of the most expensive rental markets in the USA so it just wouldn't have been possible without the free room and board (and lovely parents willing to lend me a car when needed). 

@pato I guess that the one benefit of having been unemployed since June (!!) is that I've gotten a lot of practice interviewing.  Although I'm still unemployed, so I must not be that good at it.  I'm just glad that the program I've gotten accepted to (so far) didn't require an interview.  :P

@E-P I'm right there with you. I've been doing so many interviews. x] Was supposed to have a final interview for a job today, but it got rescheduled at the last moment (was literally in the parking lot when it got changed), so now I have two interviews on Tuesday. This week I've had two interviews and two writing exercises for jobs, plus an interview last week. Eventually I'll get hired, haha.

I was rejected by UT-Austin last night (while watching re-runs of Dexter on Netflix LOL). I had a sinking (and constantly nagging) feeling about the potential outcome the pass few days while checking the fit of faculty to my profile and interests. Kinda expected it when I saw my application status: "Denied". Disappointed but still waiting on 8 other schools!

Good luck and happy for the people who got into UT-Austin! It is a great school with a great program for sure. :) 

Edited by AnxiousKitty