2018 Applications Thread

19 minutes ago, deshypothequiez said:

Is anyone else going to the NU MTS campus visit? I'm curious to know what you've been told about the schedule/logistics!

I applied to the Rhetoric track in Communication Studies. I really hope they send something out tomorrow. Maybe they're on the same day (the visits) since the programs are so close with so much crossover.

@Ishouldbewriting Did you go to UConn's visitation weekend? If so, hi! I'm typing this from my host's laptop, haha.

Came on here to say I'm super excited because I just got unofficial notice that I got a Community Management job! They're sending the details tomorrow. :) (when I'm flying back home, haha)

Congrats @GreenEyedTrombonist @swazibound @twin35 on the acceptances to UW-Madison! 

I'm joining @E-P @sriracha18 and @surprise_quiche in the rejection pile from them but I did expect this. In other news, I did get an acceptance from SUNY Buffalo with full funding for four years this morning, so I am really excited! My spouse was also accepted here with full funding as well. 

In other news, Cornell said they will be sending out admission decisions soon. My POI at UW-Milwaukee told me they will be evaluating admissions and initial funding on the 14th of this month! 

Good luck, everyone! :) 

7 hours ago, AnxiousKitty said:

Congrats @GreenEyedTrombonist @swazibound @twin35 on the acceptances to UW-Madison! 

I'm joining @E-P @sriracha18 and @surprise_quiche in the rejection pile from them but I did expect this. In other news, I did get an acceptance from SUNY Buffalo with full funding for four years this morning, so I am really excited! My spouse was also accepted here with full funding as well. 

In other news, Cornell said they will be sending out admission decisions soon. My POI at UW-Milwaukee told me they will be evaluating admissions and initial funding on the 14th of this month! 

I received an acceptance from SUNY Buffalo as well! Fingers crossed more good things are coming our way!

@AnxiousKitty  @ProudCatMom

Congrats on SUNY Buffalo! 

7 hours ago, AnxiousKitty said:

I'm just waiting on funding for UW-Milwaukee so this is really helpful. I was just about to email my interim advisor there to get a timeline but at least now I know!

11 hours ago, whitmanifesto said:

I applied to the Rhetoric track in Communication Studies. I really hope they send something out tomorrow. Maybe they're on the same day (the visits) since the programs are so close with so much crossover.

I applied to Comm Studies (I guess the Rhetoric track? I'm a little unclear on how their programs are divided) but they thought my profile fit MTS better (it does, I just didn't know about MTS until I was ready to submit my application, at which point I decided not to change it). Not sure if the visit weekends are the same--it sounded like they do it by program, rather than as a whole department.

19 minutes ago, surprise_quiche said:

@AnxiousKitty  @ProudCatMom

Congrats on SUNY Buffalo! 

I'm just waiting on funding for UW-Milwaukee so this is really helpful. I was just about to email my interim advisor there to get a timeline but at least now I know!

Glad this was helpful! I’m excited to hear back from them. Hope it will be good news for us both!

Well. I went into this season feeling good. I have worked very hard over the past two years to make myself as strong a candidate as possible and thought I had done well. Apparently not. I have one acceptance from a program that is very unestablished, and all the really good schools I've applied to have either rejected or waitlisted me. This cycle is turning out to be rather depressing...

I mean, even if I get off the waitlist I have to ask if I want to go somewhere where they weren't interested enough to actually accept me. Like, will the fact that I would be in like a second-class-citizen pool of admitted students hinder me when trying to get resources (summer fellowships or teaching appointments, travel money, etc.) or close attention from the department? Not a good day today.

5 minutes ago, mintless said:

Well. I went into this season feeling good. I have worked very hard over the past two years to make myself as strong a candidate as possible and thought I had done well. Apparently not. I have one acceptance from a program that is very unestablished, and all the really good schools I've applied to have either rejected or waitlisted me. This cycle is turning out to be rather depressing...

I mean, even if I get off the waitlist I have to ask if I want to go somewhere where they weren't interested enough to actually accept me. Like, will the fact that I would be in like a second-class-citizen pool of admitted students hinder me when trying to get resources (summer fellowships or teaching appointments, travel money, etc.) or close attention from the department? Not a good day today.

If you get off the waitlist, the fact you were waitlisted won't effect you anymore. You'll be just the same as everyone else. They wanted you enough to not outright reject you, so just wait to see what happened. You will have the same access to all the research resources, conference funding, classes, and you will get an adviser like everyone else. My partner was waitlisted at NU and he has the same access as everyone else, gets on really well with his adviser, and loves it (he does get shit from prospectives for being waitlisted, but people in the system understand this is mostly about chance and has a LOT of bias). A lot of people I know that are at really good schools, didn't get in until their 2nd or 3rd try. 

Hey @mintless my husband got off the waitlist as Iowa and honestly he forgets he was waitlisted all the time-- at the visit, he was treated like he was admitted and since attending the program he's had zero issues related to funding or opportunities or treatment from faculty/cohort! i know how you feel, though. it's definitely demoralizing to know you aren't one of the first choices, and it's hard to feel valued as an applicant and potential incoming student-- but usually, it's more to do with funding than anything. sending you lots of good hopeful thoughts <3 

Hey guys! Back home from my visit weekend! Congrats to everyone who has had an acceptance since I was gone and hugs for anyone upset about a rejection. 

Now to find time to catch up on sleep and moisturize (cold, dry air is hell on my skin). And I'm moving somewhere colder no matter what...haha, I need to invest in moisturizer. 

19 hours ago, pato said:

Hey @mintless my husband got off the waitlist as Iowa and honestly he forgets he was waitlisted all the time-- at the visit, he was treated like he was admitted and since attending the program he's had zero issues related to funding or opportunities or treatment from faculty/cohort! i know how you feel, though. it's definitely demoralizing to know you aren't one of the first choices, and it's hard to feel valued as an applicant and potential incoming student-- but usually, it's more to do with funding than anything. sending you lots of good hopeful thoughts <3 

@mintless, I'm a first year PhD student at Iowa with @pato's husband and I can guarantee that everything she said is true. I just want to speak a little to our department's take on the waitlist: 

The students they grab first generally fit the research interests of current faculty. At Iowa, we're strongly triangulating research on gender, LGBTQ topics, race, democracy, etc. Lots of social justice research happening here. There is no difference in academic caliber between students who are immediately accepted and those who are waitlisted. If you weren't rejected, Iowa wants you. They don't accept people without funding and that is why we waitlist more than we accept. It's a matter of funding availability and research fit. 

Iowa grads get jobs and I hope you consider us. 

@whitmanifesto @pato @michellelaura92

Thank you; all you've said does make me feel better. Lot of nerves right now. :wacko:

@michellelaura92 Iowa is definitely near the top of my list, and my excitement is growing. I was less sure of my fit, but as I spoke with the faculty in interviews I could see really interesting angles I could take with my work that hadn't fully occurred to me yet. Very eager. The language of the email was "You are at the top of the waitlist, so there is a good chance that will be able to offer you admission should openings become available," and they invited me to the recruitment weekend, so hopefully it'll happen. Definitely appreciate the candor and detail; Minnesota is a program I am very interested in, but all they sent me a form email telling me I was on the waitlist and didn't respond to my follow-up inquiry.

@mintless if don't hear back from the department, which they may not due to the number of emails they receive (though, I don't think that's a good excuse, I didn't apply to program that I routinely didn't get response) see if there is a graduate student Union or association, try to contact them. At Wayne State the union is very active and most of the representatives are from the Comm department (they have a field focus on democratic participation and culture so that's not surprising) but at Purdue they have an association specific to communications. Most of the BigTen have large comm programs and their own association. They usually have a person whose paid per semester to answer questions for graduate students and it could be much easier to understand internal processes. Less anxiety waiting.

Congrats to all the UC Davis admits! I didn't even get an email with a student id from them, so I'm gonna assume it's a no-go there. I'm good with that, and hopefully this will help my friend who lives near Davis come to terms with me leaving the state. :D 

Hello!

I have a quick question. I recently exchanged e-mails with the director of the graduate program I am the most interested in.

In the closing paragraph of the e-mail the director said : "All of your materials have been submitted and reviewed.  I can go ahead and recommend you." 

Does this mean that I have been accepted into the program? What exactly does "recommend you" mean? :) Anyone?

I'm anxious and I'm sure most of you are as well. Good luck to us all as we begin to receive responses! 

@nesasp Depending on how their adcom is set up, this might be putting a good word in with adcom (happened for me at one school) and could be enough to mean acceptance. Don't count the acceptance until you have the official offer in hand, but this is a very good thing. Congrats!