2018 Applications Thread

53 minutes ago, ProudCatMom said:

I am currently going back and forth between grad cafe, grad admissions reddit, application portals, program websites, and emails. I feel like I would rather start getting some rejections than stay in this state of limbo :blink:

me too. im constantly in a state of rush trying to finish what my page hopping and being sick has distracted me from. i just want to know something already

2 hours ago, ProudCatMom said:

I am currently going back and forth between grad cafe, grad admissions reddit, application portals, program websites, and emails. I feel like I would rather start getting some rejections than stay in this state of limbo :blink:

the limbo IS the worst. My limbo lasted till 4/10 since I got into my school off the waitlist :) Just try to look beyond this time. It sucks. 

24 minutes ago, Duna said:

the limbo IS the worst. My limbo lasted till 4/10 since I got into my school off the waitlist :) Just try to look beyond this time. It sucks. 

Oh my...I don't think my anxious heart could handle that tbh. The possibility of waiting until March for a couple of programs is enough to get me stressing.

A lovely person in another thread is putting their nervous energy to good use: https://imgur.com/a/IRf4t

They went through and did a statistical analysis of COM program acceptances and applicant profiles to compile these charts. While it isn't 100% perfect and I don't see all the major programs on there, it's still a good general base line.

OMG @GreenEyedTrombonist & @swazibound congratulations on the Madison acceptances!!! Also thanks @ProudCatMom for the graphs. Good luck to everyone today!

Oh, also to the Madison folks: did your status change on the official application portal? TiA 

Edited by sriracha18

On 1/29/2018 at 10:12 AM, Ishouldbewriting said:

First time poster, long time lurker. I wanted to see if anyone has heard anything from UPenn?? I just want them to let me know if I was rejected or not!

This is my second go-around of applications (I am a current MA student). 

Based on GradCafe, UPenn always sends them out mid February. 

Still waiting on Madison for Communication Arts in the communication science & media and cultural studies track.  Did anyone with that particular interest get an interview request yet - maybe I just missed the boat entirely?

2 hours ago, E-P said:

Still waiting on Madison for Communication Arts in the communication science & media and cultural studies track.  Did anyone with that particular interest get an interview request yet - maybe I just missed the boat entirely?

I'm on that track and haven't heard diddly! I emailed the dept. the other day and was told decisions would be sent out in 2-3 weeks. 

Okay!  Two more updates: Rejection from Madison, acceptance at MSU (Information & Media).  Now just waiting for the RTF department at UT to make decisions.

The real question is: MSU and Purdue have about the same "welcome weekend" dates (MSU is Thursday-Saturday, Purdue Friday-Sunday).  Do you think either school has alternative dates for people who can't make it because they're going to the other school?

I've received my first acceptance: Wayne State University. Funding waitlisted, and their welcome week is Feb 23rd. Ill be attending since I don't live far away. Waitlisted funding is normal there for their first admit list, so I'm not too worried. I wasn't assigned the POI I expected though. Still, a relief.

59 minutes ago, whitmanifesto said:

I've received my first acceptance: Wayne State University. Funding waitlisted, and their welcome week is Feb 23rd. Ill be attending since I don't live far away. Waitlisted funding is normal there for their first admit list, so I'm not too worried. I wasn't assigned the POI I expected though. Still, a relief.

Congrats!  First of many I'm sure.  At very least, I hope they know that they have an uphill battle if they don't offer you funding.  Any idea why you didn't get the POI you were expecting?  Neither of my schools have even mentioned my POI; I figured that the "assignment" would happen after we met in person, but maybe that's just me.

32 minutes ago, surprise_quiche said:

@E-P  Same here with Madison, I already expected this one. Congrats on MSU!

I'm glad I have good company in the Madison reject pile.  :lol: Do you have other schools you're waiting on, or have you gotten any other acceptances?

@E-P I spoke to the union rep and she said its probably because I was suggested for one of the fellowships, since all they're applicants are accepted with funding. Her and her partner didn't know about their funding until about the time of the visit. It's just because Wayne State sends out their acceptances much earlier than other departments, probably because they get their first acceptances snatched up by the other Michigan system schools. Downside of not having the name in the title. My assigned adviser is from Purdue as well, so maybe that's why he wanted me, plus my POI was in her first year at the program, so she might not be allowed an advisee until next year. Thats how Purdue works, you have to have a Grad number first. I'm still waiting for NU and UIC. If I'm accepted to both that will be a very hard choice. I like the profs at UIC much more, but my partner is at NU.

3 hours ago, E-P said:

Okay!  Two more updates: Rejection from Madison, acceptance at MSU (Information & Media).  Now just waiting for the RTF department at UT to make decisions.

The real question is: MSU and Purdue have about the same "welcome weekend" dates (MSU is Thursday-Saturday, Purdue Friday-Sunday).  Do you think either school has alternative dates for people who can't make it because they're going to the other school?

Congratulations on MSU! Between the two schools, which welcome weekend do you think you would rather go to? 

Got the no from Madison today (on the ride from the church to the graveyard at my grandpa's funeral ?). It was a kind email from the POI I interviewed with who said they were impressed with my app but went with applicants with more compatible research (so I guess they were not that impressed lol). Hope the first day of February was nicer to y'all. :(

I really want to remain positive, though! I'm trying to remind myself it's early in the process & that I'm only an undergrad & PhD programs are wild. 

Edited by sriracha18

2 hours ago, sriracha18 said:

Got the no from Madison today (on the ride from the church to the graveyard at my grandpa's funeral ?). It was a kind email from the POI I interviewed with who said they were impressed with my app but went with applicants with more compatible research (so I guess they were not that impressed lol). Hope the first day of February was nicer to y'all. :(

I really want to remain positive, though! I'm trying to remind myself it's early in the process & that I'm only an undergrad & PhD programs are wild. 

My condolences for you and your family. 

Also, don't let it get you down! It is still very early on in the process. I'm sure that something will end up sticking. What other programs are you waiting on?