2018 Applications Thread

7 hours ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

So I had orientation for my new job today (also first shift right after) and on the way to orientation I got an email from Temple requesting an interview and at the start of my shift got an email from WSU with my acceptance. In short, it's been a good day. 

Yaaas! So happy for you!!

8 hours ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

So I had orientation for my new job today (also first shift right after) and on the way to orientation I got an email from Temple requesting an interview and at the start of my shift got an email from WSU with my acceptance. In short, it's been a good day. 

Woop woop!!

13 hours ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

Woooow! Congrats! 

Congrats to everyone with good news! I wanted to share an update: the visit weekend at Northwestern (March 1-4) appears to be a recruitment visit for the entirety of the Graduate School, not just MTS. Since it's still a couple weeks away, I don't know what this means for programs that haven't started contacting people yet, like RPC.

image.png.b755e69660261dbf651adebcda2df513.png

Edited by deshypothequiez

@deshypothequiez Thanks for the update! I know last year, people that were waitlisted weren't invited to the Recruitment week, but it seems strange for RPC to have waited so long. Maybe they have already sent them out and none of the accepted posted to TGC.

I just sent in my acceptance of the offer to UIC, so even if I get any emails, I'm out of the running for NU. A lot of the profs in this department and friends with the RPC and MTS profs at NU.

(and the GSD responded after only 3 minutes, they are by the far the best Comm department at communicating I've interacted with so far)

Edited by whitmanifesto

38 minutes ago, whitmanifesto said:

@deshypothequiez  (and the GSD responded after only 3 minutes, they are by the far the best Comm department at communicating I've interacted with so far)

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA same

Also congrats on accepting the offer!

Well, received a rejection from UPenn. I'm kind of relieved, to be honest. At least now the wait is finally over and now I can just focus on actually deciding between the options I have. Good luck to everyone that is still waiting on different programs! 

Woke up to great news this morning (I live on the other side of the planet). Received an email from my POI/temporary advisor (my choice!) informing me of my acceptance to UW-Milwaukee! They are very generous, and has offered me a TA position for four years, with an additional 6K extra award for my first year. Aside from this, I’m just really glad that it worked out and this POI is someone I really want to work with! 

@AnxiousKitty  We might end up in the same place! (Although I was admitted to the MA program/TA position)

I got the funding email from Milwaukee during a class and I spilled my drink everywhere when I jumped up :wacko: yelling "I got funded!" 

Just finished my interview with Temple and I think it went well. :) 

UO emailed me yesterday saying they thought I was a better fit for their master's program and asking if I wanted to switch my app, so UO is probably out for me. So, I think I'm unofficially rejected from UO and Davis, and just need to hear back from Boston and Temple before I can make my decision. :) 

Maryland - College Park seems to be trickling decisions out little by little. If I haven't heard anything, should I assume it's a no? My partner is really excited about getting into their poli sci PhD program and I'm worried my news will not be so positive. 

On a more positive note -- I've been invited to visit Bloomington! I'm so excited. It's where one of my advisors went and I think it'd be a great fit. 

The waiting is getting hard! 

Edited by sriracha18

3 hours ago, surprise_quiche said:

@AnxiousKitty  We might end up in the same place! (Although I was admitted to the MA program/TA position)

I got the funding email from Milwaukee during a class and I spilled my drink everywhere when I jumped up :wacko: yelling "I got funded!" 

When I got my funding email I was getting off the elevator to the Chancellor's and Provosts area, and was so excited I couldn't speak, just skipped through the lobby and offices. I am so glad there was not senior leadership meeting that day!

@sriracha18 Is Bloomington (Indiana University I'm assuming) your only option? Because I will warn you, since they merged into the Media School it is NOT the same program most people remember. I was wait lists in the 2015 session when the re-figuring was happening and I really dodged a bullet. UIC profs were telling me some of the inside stuff, but almost all the big researchers have left (the two I was interested in have since left the state, ones in Oregon now I think). A lot of the Phd candidates jumped ship the last two years. Be very careful in making your decision. It may have gotten better since, but the re-figuring brought a lot of damage to their reputation, particular their telecommunications/media industry and cultural studies focuses.

Also, I just got off the phone with the NU communications department, apparently they are waiting until Mid March to make their decisions, she was very snippy, so I'm assuming they aren't making their "decisions" until after the general visit and they already sent out their first picks for the RPC program.

Edited by whitmanifesto

6 minutes ago, surprise_quiche said:

@whitmanifesto  Good to know for NU. I'm thinking since I didn't get an invite for the first visits that its gonna be a no or waitlist

Debating accepting the offer for Milwaukee instead of waiting. 

Were you given a time frame? I was asked to sign an "initial interest" thing for UIC by next Wednesday, it was actually an acceptance of the TAship, so I'm definitely tied in. Everything NU offers but the school prestige UIC has so I don't feel guilty for accepting already. (And the stipend difference, obviously, but I've also been hearing that NU grad students have a hard time making the research output compared to public school top programs which doesn't surprise me seeing my partner's syllabi. So reading heavy)

Edited by whitmanifesto

No time frame as far as I know. I haven't gotten the official letter for the funding, so I'm not sure, 33% of full time is eligible for tuition remission plus a stipend).

I'm visiting in March so maybe they'll talk to me about it then.

@surprise_quiche did they offer to pay for your trip? i know you're really close, but thats the sure sign they're going to offer you some funding. WSU offered to reimburse, so I knew I was still up for funding eventually once they finish their negotiations with the grad school. I wish unis were more open about the, like listing their offers on a web page, its easy to do. I hate all these hidden games. 

Kinda of unrelated, but does anyone use HNet Commons? I love it, but wish they're could be a Communications / Media studies focused forum that more organized the research opportunities, applications, funding, journals, summer programs, etc. Its such a pain trying to fin them all.

I feel like academics (graduate students particularly), especially those focused on communications and media, should be far more networked than we are.

Edited by whitmanifesto

3 hours ago, sriracha18 said:

Maryland - College Park seems to be trickling decisions out little by little. If I haven't heard anything, should I assume it's a no? My partner is really excited about getting into their poli sci PhD program and I'm worried my news will not be so positive. 

On a more positive note -- I've been invited to visit Bloomington! I'm so excited. It's where one of my advisors went and I think it'd be a great fit. 

The waiting is getting hard! 

I went to a university wide recruitment event last semester and their research labs are AMAZING!