2018 Applications Thread

2 hours ago, whitmanifesto said:

@ProudCatMom They dropped SO MUCH money into it, they have a great Psychology Lab for media research and they're libraries are amazing. I'm just really concerned about mentorship in a program that's having a  lot of ups and downs.

Yeah, I definitely got that feel. As someone more quantitatively focused mentors seemed kind of few and far between, and even slimmer based on research interests. I still applied though primarily for the sake of the research lab and Bloomington itself. 

1 hour ago, twin35 said:

@pato I will be there!! Excited to learn a lot more about the program. What track?

i was waitlisted for rhetoric! i completely imploded on my interview but it’s the only program i can really go to bc my family is nearby and has a lot of care needs. but i decided not to bully anyone for a spot...?

58 minutes ago, pato said:

i was waitlisted for rhetoric! i completely imploded on my interview but it’s the only program i can really go to bc my family is nearby and has a lot of care needs. but i decided not to bully anyone for a spot...?

I wasn't expecting the interviews to be with 5 of the faculty! I freaked out too!! and it happens...I'm from the DSM area so that is a big factor in why I was attracted to Iowa. Wanzer-Serrano is also my main POI. My research is at the intersection of rhetoric and race, so he is of obvious interest! Looking forward to meeting you!! Please don't bully me!! ?

41 minutes ago, mintless said:

@pato and @twin35 I'll be there! Also waitlisted, but for media studies.

DOPE! See you there as well!! I hope it works out for you! Iowa has some amazing media scholars. 

8 minutes ago, twin35 said:

I wasn't expecting the interviews to be with 5 of the faculty! I freaked out too!! and it happens...I'm from the DSM area so that is a big factor in why I was attracted to Iowa. Wanzer-Serrano is also my main POI. My research is at the intersection of rhetoric and race, so he is of obvious interest! Looking forward to meeting you!! Please don't bully me!! ?

DOPE! See you there as well!! I hope it works out for you! Iowa has some amazing media scholars. 

it was way intimidating. the faculty are so dope that i became a rambling mess. @mintless hooray! 

@sriracha18 definitely ask how often grad students see their advisers and how easy it is to contact them. And how long professors have been at the program. I hope it's settled down by now, my undergrad degree is from IU, so I feel strongly connected to them.

@deshypothequiez I hope you hear from NYU MCC soon! I am in love with Lisa Gitelman! It is so great and so sweet, she answers emails so quickly (how I not so secretly judge Comm departments).

Does anyone have any particular insight into UMD College Park decisions? I still haven't heard anything from them and I see in the results that they have conducted some interviews and sent out acceptances. 

Has anyone applied to Missouri? What is the reputation of their department and what are their strengths?

Also, by when are Oregon expected to reply for their master's program? Any likelihood at all of some funding for the master's?

I'm visiting the campus the Wednesday in Chicago, which I'm excited for, but I went through the entire funding package this weekend: I'll be taking home $12,500 a year after tax. ? And they school only covers about half of my healthcare cost (but the coverage is very good and include free vision and dental). I'm going to go over my financial aid stuff this week. I guess I'm lucky, because as a nonresident student, my possible loan amount is higher than Illinois residents. But I'm going to try to secure another .20 appointments to make life a bit more comfortable. Me and my partner are discussing moving in together, cause it's really hitting us how poor I'll be as a public institute PhD student. He's so lucky with his NU stipend. 

Edited by whitmanifesto

On 2/15/2018 at 11:08 AM, sriracha18 said:

Maryland - College Park seems to be trickling decisions out little by little. If I haven't heard anything, should I assume it's a no? My partner is really excited about getting into their poli sci PhD program and I'm worried my news will not be so positive. 

On a more positive note -- I've been invited to visit Bloomington! I'm so excited. It's where one of my advisors went and I think it'd be a great fit. 

The waiting is getting hard! 

I'm dying to hear back from them! Saw some acceptances for the Rhetoric track a couple of weeks ago, but I applied to PR and am hoping to be accepted with Dr. Liu as POI. Considered emailing the graduate office, to check on status, but afraid to come across as a pest. 

Congrats on Bloomington!

@Shay825 thank you about Indiana! I'll let you know if I hear anything about Maryland. 

Also on the Indiana front: The program has recommended me as a fully funded candidate and now I am just waiting upon the overall grad school to hopefully confirm me!!! 

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:19 PM, Isocrates2.o said:

Anyone hear back from Clemson or North Carolina State PhD programs? I'm awaiting news on both.

Best of luck to y'all (this New Yorker'd better develop southern lingo real quick, eh?)... 

I got accepted with funding to NC State yesterday (2/20).

1 hour ago, black hippie soul said:

I got accepted with funding to NC State yesterday (2/20).

Congratulations! I was accepted with funding as well. What are your thoughts on the program? I'm having an informal phone call with them on Friday to discuss. How exciting!