2018 Applications Thread

6 minutes ago, deshypothequiez said:

@whitmanifesto Congrats! There's a chance I may be joining you in Chicagoland ;) 

Northwestern decisions should be out any day now! I'm waiting for them as well. If I'm accepted to both that is such a difficult decision.

Now that I know what city I'm going to, I've started deeply crunching the numbers on stipends, fees, living costs and man is it depressing. Gonna keep being poor and more stressed for another 3-5 years ?

@GreenEyedTrombonist @whitmanifesto  Funding is the deal breaker for me. I can't afford to go to any program if it doesn't include a stipend or tuition deferment or anything at all. Plus housing near the programs I applied to in the Midwest are notoriously expensive (cough cough Madison. My rent there now is astronomical for what I get). Here's hoping!

I get a 18,000 a year stipend at UIC, but after taxes that's $1500 in Chicago, and about 16,000 in Indiana. Rent is about $900-1200 in Chicago for a studio and I have pets so very limited options. Even with the stipend, tuition waiver and healthcare, this is going to be tough. Loans will still probably be needed to help me start out. I wouldn't go anywhere without tuition remission and a stipend.

26 minutes ago, whitmanifesto said:

I get a 18,000 a year stipend at UIC, but after taxes that's $1500 in Chicago, and about 16,000 in Indiana. 

I hear your pain.

That's actually the main reason that I didn't apply to UIC.  It's a great school and has people researching things I'm interested in, but I can't afford to stay in my condo and live here, even with a partner who has a job.  I just finished paying my student loans from undergrad; I want to minimize any more I have to pick up.

38 minutes ago, E-P said:

I just finished paying my student loans from undergrad; I want to minimize any more I have to pick up.

Ugh, that's definitely something I have to decide on...I still have loans I need to pay off :\

I've gone straight through from undergrad to masters to phd. I haven't paid any loans at all, and don't plan to. Even if I get a tenure-track job, theres almost no chance Ill be able to have a house or new car for 20+ years post graduation. I understood that going into it. Me and my partner prob could have done it, but we haven't been together long enough to move in just yet. Chicagoland is great, but so pricy for what the wages are. Thats why I'll prob stay in NWI for a while more with some friends.

I only just calculated the time and money of going CTA/Metra transportation in Chicago compared to driving and paying my car insurance. Urgh, no difference in price and I gain 30 minutes a day driving despite UIC giving me free transport. If anyone moves to Chicago, do NOT get a car. It's a complete money drain.

41 minutes ago, whitmanifesto said:

I've gone straight through from undergrad to masters to phd. I haven't paid any loans at all, and don't plan to. Even if I get a tenure-track job, theres almost no chance Ill be able to have a house or new car for 20+ years post graduation. I understood that going into it. Me and my partner prob could have done it, but we haven't been together long enough to move in just yet. Chicagoland is great, but so pricy for what the wages are. Thats why I'll prob stay in NWI for a while more with some friends.

I only just calculated the time and money of going CTA/Metra transportation in Chicago compared to driving and paying my car insurance. Urgh, no difference in price and I gain 30 minutes a day driving despite UIC giving me free transport. If anyone moves to Chicago, do NOT get a car. It's a complete money drain.

40 minutes ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

me too @deshypothequiez . Right now I'm debating whether I should pay it off with my first two months of work at my new job, or pay off a little at a time so I can save more money to move for grad school :/ 

I've been paying my loans for about 5 years or so so I've gotten a good chunk of them out of the way, but there's still a lot left. I know I can delay them by going back to school but would rather continue paying them down, at least somewhat, if possible. I definitely can't pay off the rest before starting school unless I get serious financial assistance (from family, most likely).

Of course, this is still hypothetical since I haven't interviewed yet, but assuming I get into NU and assuming my SO decides to move with me, I think we'll be in a good place. My SO has some income that is independent of his location and employment status, and NU looks like it has a really bomb stipend... It's starting to look more and more attractive, compared to my former top choice (NYU).

Edited by deshypothequiez

I know I lucked out on the debt side (only had to get loans for my MA and went to an affordable school, got a researcher position my first year and a TAship my second) so I have about 7500 left to pay off. I've decided to pay that off with my first 3 months of paychecks (depending on how much is withheld for taxes) so that I'm debt-free starting my PhD. I'm sure I'll go into more debt later... x]

4 minutes ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

I know I lucked out on the debt side (only had to get loans for my MA and went to an affordable school, got a researcher position my first year and a TAship my second) so I have about 7500 left to pay off. I've decided to pay that off with my first 3 months of paychecks (depending on how much is withheld for taxes) so that I'm debt-free starting my PhD. I'm sure I'll go into more debt later... x]

That's so nice! I wish I could pay off $7,500 in 3 months but given my salary and cost-of-living...

@deshypothequiez Oh it is so bomb! $30,000 a year! for 5 years! My partner takes home over $2,000 a month post taxes. I'm so jealous.

@GreenEyedTrombonist I wish I has been that lucky. i'm into 6 digit debt. I went to a private school for 2 years and then bounced around public universities. I had no help at all from family and had to work through all of it, but still couldn't survive without taking in loans every year. I also took an extra years in Undergrad and in MA for financial reasons, but it payed off, cause I got extra research grants and stuff from knowing the systems a year longer than most.

But I feel better now, even with the struggle its going to be. Working class kid getting into a top Phd Program in my field!

Edited by whitmanifesto

@deshypothequiezyeah, I just got a new salaried position that lets me stay at home (I live in a really expensive city, but parents let me stay rent-free until they move) so I don't have a ton of expenses. I definitely owe my family big time @whitmanifesto . Parents don't believe in buying a new car or paying for their kids' weddings, but they strongly believe in the value of education so they paid for my undergrad and have been super encouraging about my MA and this whole PhD process.