2018 Applications Thread

Anyone else here apply to Utah?

According to last year's results, tomorrow should be the day they send out acceptances. A bundle of nerves over here! Going into this cycle my top two (they're always switching places!) have always been Utah and Minnesota. Minnesota waitlisted me, so hopefully at least one of my top choices will take me outright. I think Utah is a little less difficult to get into, so hopefully that will work in my favor...

Good luck to anyone else who applied there!

1 hour ago, mintless said:

Anyone else here apply to Utah?

According to last year's results, tomorrow should be the day they send out acceptances. A bundle of nerves over here! Going into this cycle my top two (they're always switching places!) have always been Utah and Minnesota. Minnesota waitlisted me, so hopefully at least one of my top choices will take me outright. I think Utah is a little less difficult to get into, so hopefully that will work in my favor...

Good luck to anyone else who applied there!

I just got an email 30 minutes ago from my POI at Utah letting me know (unofficially) that I was accepted! In the email, he seemed to suggest that the formal offer letters were going to be sent out very soon. Hopefully you get some good news! :) 

Hi everyone,

*insert stereotypical long time lurker first time poster* 

I need a little bit of advice on how to respond to an email.  I'm super fortunate that I got an email last week saying I had an interview at Syracuse (yay!). The email didn't mention anything about if they were coordinating travel/reimbursing anything. I live about a 6 hour drive away and my car is on her last legs so it's not really a possibility for me to go unless I take a bus (9 hour ride), a train, or a flight (both very expensive). 

Is there a formal/polite way to ask if they're funding my travel? Is that a dumb question - should I assume that if a school requires in person interviews that they'll fund it? Do I ask for alternatives to in-person interviews? Should I just throw my computer out the window and retreat to the forest to live with the bears? 

Any advice is super appreciated. Congrats on everyone's successes so far - I have been reading this forum for a while and you're all crushing it! 

@mintless I applied to Utah as well, currently waiting to hear something! Good luck!!

I found out in the last two weeks that I am on the waitlist at both Cornell (Communication) and USC (Journalism/Mass Comm). I have an interview with Temple this week so we'll see how well that one goes! 

Good luck to all! I applied to a good handful of programs and some have not yet sent decisions, the waiting game is getting to me. 

@SomeoneThrewMyShoe if they provided fudnign gift travel they probably would have told you in the email, and that's usually on reimbursement. When you leave the appointment, it being via Skype wouldn't be uncommon. You can politely confirm that these are e-interviews or in person and ask if reimbursement is available. But usually they should have stayed already.

1 hour ago, Neha_y said:

Hi,

I have applied for NUS PHD MBA program. Can i get any help suggestion or had anyone heard from the school back regarding interview?

Hi, I believe you are in the wrong thread. This is the Communication thread. The program that you applied for is the engineering and management program at NUS, Singapore, I am guessing. Unless I am mistaken, please clarify.

Edited by AnxiousKitty

On 2/3/2018 at 11:05 AM, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

Hey guys! Back home from my visit weekend! Congrats to everyone who has had an acceptance since I was gone and hugs for anyone upset about a rejection. 

Now to find time to catch up on sleep and moisturize (cold, dry air is hell on my skin). And I'm moving somewhere colder no matter what...haha, I need to invest in moisturizer. 

Palmer's Cocoa Butter is the best thing! I moved from Florida to Boston, and it has saved my skin from becoming a flaky/chapped mess when winter hits.

2 hours ago, YX_Comm said:

Hi everyone!

Is anyone here going to Penn State (College of Comm) Open House interview this week?

Yes, I will be there! What's your area of interest/POIs?

3 hours ago, Matt Minich said:

Did anyone here apply to OSU? I've been waiting by the phone... 

I did, I'm tired of looking at the 'pending' in the application portal.

1 hour ago, ProudCatMom said:

Yes, I will be there! What's your area of interest/POIs?

I did, I'm tired of looking at the 'pending' in the application portal.

Perfect!!

My research interests are media effects, health science comm, and strat comm. My POIs are Shen, Myrick, and Oliver. Yours?

4 hours ago, Matt Minich said:

Did anyone here apply to OSU? I've been waiting by the phone... 

I got accepted Jan 23th, and I know two others also got into the program. Maybe you can email Dave to see what he says?

1 hour ago, YX_Comm said:

Perfect!!

My research interests are media effects, health science comm, and strat comm. My POIs are Shen, Myrick, and Oliver. Yours?

Media effects, with an emphasis on understanding the role of emotion in the selection of/processing of/persuasive outcomes and other effects of media. Oliver, Myrick, and Shen (in that order, lol). Hoping I don't fan girl too much in the presence of Dr. Oliver. I love her work and her approach to studying media effects. 

I didn't hear anything from my programs today, but I did find out that my best friend in my program got into Bowling Green's Phd program! Im so happy for her! And I will be able to continue to work on research with her!

9 hours ago, whitmanifesto said:

I didn't hear anything from my programs today, but I did find out that my best friend in my program got into Bowling Green's Phd program! Im so happy for her! And I will be able to continue to work on research with her!

Yay! That's awesome. There's a professor at Cleveland State that I had a really awesome relationship with (I TA'd for her 2 semesters) who got her MA/PhD in BG's program and taught there for quite a while. Assuming everyone else in that department is as wonderful as she is, I'm sure  your friend will have a wonderful experience there.

Edited by ProudCatMom

17 hours ago, ProudCatMom said:

Media effects, with an emphasis on understanding the role of emotion in the selection of/processing of/persuasive outcomes and other effects of media. Oliver, Myrick, and Shen (in that order, lol). Hoping I don't fan girl too much in the presence of Dr. Oliver. I love her work and her approach to studying media effects. 

Wonderful!! See you on Thursday/Friday!