Squidpunk

Directing MFA for 2018 - Let's connect

Hey folks! I just cracked my knuckles this morning, and decided to get started on my 2018 grad school apps. I didn't apply last year because I was opening a show early February and couldn't manage the workload, but applied for fall 2016 to Yale, Brown, Columbia, Calarts, and CMU. Got interviews with Brown, Calarts, and CMU. 

This year, I'm currently considering Columbia, Brown, UCSD, UW, Northwestern, Yale, and CalArts.

Other schools that seem interesting, but I'm not sure about applying to: UMass Amherst, Penn State, UT Austin, DePaul

So what's up with you?

Thanks for starting this thread! 

I applied to Brown, Yale, UTAustin, and Columbia last year. Looks like I'll be applying to same ones this year plus maybe UCSD and Carnegie Mellon. 

I'm also putting up a few big things as I apply. We'll see how it goes. 

Hello!

This will be my first time applying for directing programs, although I do also have an MA in acting! I'm applying for programs in the UK- MFAs at Birkbeck and East 15 and MAs at Guildford School of Acting and Mountview. I'm also applying for courses in Training Actors at Royal Central School of Speech and Drama and Guildhall. If I were to get accepted at/ go for the MA options I'd then be applying for a PhD as I have a keen interest in teaching as well!

I'm visiting everywhere in September and October and have some meetings lined up with course leaders, which I'm very excited (but nervous) about!

Trying to be as organized as possible... made an application spreadsheet I was very proud of.

Hello everyone!

This is my first time applying to grad programs.  I've got my list narrowed down - this time I'm going to apply to Yale, Boston, and UT Austin.

I'm pretty comfortable with the idea that I'm not going to get accepted this time, but I'm set on trying my hardest to make a great impression.

The biggest thing I'm afraid will work against me - I graduated with a BFA in Acting in 2014.  Since then I've done some acting work, a decent amount of voice work, but have not been able to do much in the way of directing outside of my own projects (audio dramas, two staged performances, small things in general). This is a result of a few factors, but mostly the fact that I moved states for personal reasons (from NY to TX) and the theatre scene here has been smaller and much harder to crack than I'm used to.  I know this is going to count against me, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to really showcase myself.

Overall I'm nervous and excited! Even just the thought of filling out these apps and dreaming about these programs has me excited!

Hey all! 

It seems crazy that this process is already starting back up again! Im back again with crazy process for year two of applications... After spending the summer at La MaMa Umbria, I feel extremely inspired, refreshed, and ready to tackle this insane process again! 

This year I'm definitely reapplying to DePaul, Yale, and Carnegie Mellon— my top three schools.  I'm still debating on what other programs to apply for (I'm thinking 6 max!)... it's a busy year with a few projects going up, so I don't want to push myself too thin. 

Northwestern, Washington, Brown, Columbia, Boston, and UCSD are the others I'm considering; with UCLA, CalArts and Texas are also on my list.... but if I had to choose three more to add right now, it would be Northwestern, UCSD, and Washington.  I love Columbia and CalArts' program but I don't think I can justify the debt I'd go in at either school....

Depending on what programs are at URTA this year will be the ultimate factor in how many schools I apply for.  I didn't do URTA last year but thinking I should this year. 

@Squidpunk Penn State isn't recruiting anyone this year... they recruit two candidates every other year. It's a bummer, it's one of my favorite programs and I wish I could apply again this year. I made it to round 3 of apps this year but didn't make it to the final callback on campus. I fell in love with that program! 

Hi all,

I'm interested in applying - but am worried my background isn't strong enough to be seriously considered. I've been a high school theatre teacher for six years (directing 12 full lengths there). Outside of school I have also directed three productions, assistant directed another, and directed at three 24 hour play projects. I do have a Master's in Production and Design. 

If anyone has any advice or insight on what schools are most likely to be open to my background, applying in general, or how to market myself better I'd appreciate the help.

Hey all,

Applied to one school last year, testing the waters I guess. I'm definitely looking forward to getting started this year... but feeling behind...

Recently relocated to Chicago from mid-Michigan, and considering the URTA's. I've had actor friends with experiences from that perspective, but no directors. Anyone have any info to share on the URTA experience?

Best of luck to everyone applying this year.