Number of school's you're apply to?

I'm applying to three, mostly because 1) they're all schools I would absolutely go to if I were accepted and 2) I am okay with waiting a year if I don't get in my first time. Honestly I'd prefer to take a year off to save up some cash and pay off some loans but my family is really pressuring me to get it done now, so ya know. I also don't want to spend 800+ dollars on applications for schools I don't even really wanna go to for my first round, even if they may be "safe". Next year if I have to reapply I'll probably broaden my field and apply to a few more programs, but we'll see!

Most people apply to around 4-8, but I've seen some one on here that applied to like 25 or some crazy number like that. It's really up to you how many to apply to, it's a competitive field but applications cost time and money. If you have a decent GPA and GRE scores, you're probably going to be okay applying to 5 or 6 programs. I wouldn't apply to more than 8 unless you're really worried your application is lacking!

17 hours ago, AVSchilling1995 said:

My gpa is a 3.33 and will go up after this semester and my Gre score was a 300 with 147 in quant and 153 in verbal. I don't know my essay score just yet because I took the Gre on Thursday. I've got a list of schools that my scores fit in to I'm just worried about not getting in anywhere!

You GRE scores are almost the same as mine (154 V, 146 Q, and 4.0 AW), and I graduated with a cumulative GPA of 3.3 (but when I applied to schools, the cumulative GPA was a 3.1, and CSDCAS lowered it with their weird calculations to a 2.97).  BUT my CD GPA was a 4.0, and that REALLY helped me.  I applied to about 10 or 11 schools. I don't really remember as it seemed like an application frenzy.  In the end, I was accepted to Radford U, CSUN (where I did my undergrad), Western Washington U (where I'll be starting grad school this month), and Idaho State U.  I was waitlisted at a couple other schools too and rejected by several.  I spent a lot of time on ASHA searching for schools that I might have a chance with, and emailed them to see which ones focused more on cumulative GPA vs the GPA of the last 60 units.  (My last 60 GPA was about a 3.96).  Some didn't even look at me, which hurt, as the student I was 10 years ago is not the student I am today (hence the GPA difference).  I think that what helped me in the end was that I built up my application in other places.  I had a decent SOP and my LORs were pretty good too (I am assuming there).  My personality and passion shined through my writing, and because of that I am now getting ready for grad school.  Good luck!!  If you have time, it might help to try to raise your GRE (but if not, it might be good enough for some schools).  

41 minutes ago, SLPsingballs said:

You GRE scores are almost the same as mine (154 V, 146 Q, and 4.0 AW), and I graduated with a cumulative GPA of 3.3 (but when I applied to schools, the cumulative GPA was a 3.1, and CSDCAS lowered it with their weird calculations to a 2.97).  BUT my CD GPA was a 4.0, and that REALLY helped me.  I applied to about 10 or 11 schools. I don't really remember as it seemed like an application frenzy.  In the end, I was accepted to Radford U, CSUN (where I did my undergrad), Western Washington U (where I'll be starting grad school this month), and Idaho State U.  I was waitlisted at a couple other schools too and rejected by several.  I spent a lot of time on ASHA searching for schools that I might have a chance with, and emailed them to see which ones focused more on cumulative GPA vs the GPA of the last 60 units.  (My last 60 GPA was about a 3.96).  Some didn't even look at me, which hurt, as the student I was 10 years ago is not the student I am today (hence the GPA difference).  I think that what helped me in the end was that I built up my application in other places.  I had a decent SOP and my LORs were pretty good too (I am assuming there).  My personality and passion shined through my writing, and because of that I am now getting ready for grad school.  Good luck!!  If you have time, it might help to try to raise your GRE (but if not, it might be good enough for some schools).  

I really don't want to try and take the gre again. It burnt me out haha. But I've got tons of experience and I know I'll have amazing letters of rec and a bomb SOP. I've got a working list of 22 schools and I'm going to start touring the ones I can get to easily!

4 hours ago, AVSchilling1995 said:

I really don't want to try and take the gre again. It burnt me out haha. But I've got tons of experience and I know I'll have amazing letters of rec and a bomb SOP. I've got a working list of 22 schools and I'm going to start touring the ones I can get to easily!

That's a lot of schools! lol how are your SOPs coming along? It feels odd writing SOPs for out of state schools since I plan on working in California so idk if I'll be rejected out right if the AdCom feels that I will not stay and work in the state. I've researched counties that are Medically Underserved and have written that I have a predilection for serving these communities, but I have an inkling that they will see right through that.

I took a writing CD class at my school, and we literally only wrote our SOP's and resumes! The teacher in the past had served on admission committees so I want to say I've got decent SOP's lol 

12 hours ago, Daniel998 said:

That's a lot of schools! lol how are your SOPs coming along? It feels odd writing SOPs for out of state schools since I plan on working in California so idk if I'll be rejected out right if the AdCom feels that I will not stay and work in the state. I've researched counties that are Medically Underserved and have written that I have a predilection for serving these communities, but I have an inkling that they will see right through that.

On 9/3/2017 at 7:58 AM, AVSchilling1995 said:

I took a writing CD class at my school, and we literally only wrote our SOP's and resumes! The teacher in the past had served on admission committees so I want to say I've got decent SOP's lol 

That's so interesting! I'm having to start from scratch but it has came out okay so far. Goodluck this season :)

I applied to 7 schools for Fall 2017 admission. Honestly, I could have cut it down to save money. There were schools that I applied to based solely on the program. While I would have attended any of my schools if that were the only factor, once I started looking more thoroughly into each school's cost of attendance I realized there was no way I would have chosen some of those programs! I would have rather taken a year off and reapplied the following year. Hindsight is 20/20 lol. But some people feel more comfortable applying to more schools, so to each their own. :)

My GPAs were BA-3.82, MA-4.0. GRE V-163, Q-145, AW 5.0. (English departments really only care about verbal scores.) I applied to nine schools last year. Was admitted to 2; waitlisted at 2; rejected at 5. My SOP and WS were vetted by five professors in the English department, three of whom went on to write LORs for me. I did not have any publications, but had a number of conference presentations, two of which were major conferences. English PhD programs are accepting only a few PhD students, while over 200 usually apply. My current program accepted five PhD students out of a field of 200, allowing for a 2.5% acceptance rate and required an MA. 

• 1 month later...

I am applying to one school. It is the school I am finishing my BA at. Unfortunately I cannot move due to Husband's career. I will just have to wait a year to reapply if I didn't get in. I hope I worked my butt off enough to get in. I know for my school, I have an extremely high chance of getting in.

57 minutes ago, CajunSLP18 said:

I am applying to one school. It is the school I am finishing my BA at. Unfortunately I cannot move due to Husband's career. I will just have to wait a year to reapply if I didn't get in. I hope I worked my butt off enough to get in. I know for my school, I have an extremely high chance of getting in.

I have a friend in the English PhD program there. Why don't you go ahead and apply to LSU at the same time? It's only about 40 miles from Lafayette to LSU. From your info it looked like you were, but then I read that you were only applying to ULL. I was admitted to their English PhD program, but was accepted where I'm at earlier. 

17 hours ago, cowgirlsdontcry said:

I have a friend in the English PhD program there. Why don't you go ahead and apply to LSU at the same time? It's only about 40 miles from Lafayette to LSU. From your info it looked like you were, but then I read that you were only applying to ULL. I was admitted to their English PhD program, but was accepted where I'm at earlier. 

Lol I know where LSU is. I am from this area! Unfortunately I am also 27w pregnant and due in January (like the week school starts my final semester). So a 2 hour (at least, you never know with the BR bridge and the Atchafaylaya) could be 3 hour commute each day is not plausible. Before I found out I was pregnant, I was absolutely okay with the commute. Now not so much with a 6 month old.

I'm from central Louisiana and made the drive to NSU almost every day for six years through my MA, so understand how a 100 mile drive, in addition to having a little one is just too much. Hate that drive over the basin. I always ended up going 190 into BR, but that's way out of the way for you. 

On 10/19/2017 at 8:40 PM, Chai Tea Latte said:

I think I applied to 17 last cycle. 

Ended up getting accepted to 10 tho, so I guess it was worth it.

Lol, I underestimated myself and I was desperate. 

Do you mind me asking your stats?

My first year of applying I applied to 10 schools. My second year of applying I applied to 20 school. This past year I applied to 30 schools because I was worried I wouldn't get in anywhere. Honestly it was probably overkill haha but I would more focus on schools that are tailored to you. Look at range of gpa schools accept, ratio of those they are accept to number of applicants, and gre range on ASHA Edfind. I would advise only applying to schools that you think you'll get into. I tried to be really picky when applying to schools and obviously it worked out for me! Best of luck! :) 

• 1 month later...
On ‎2017‎年‎11‎月‎1‎日 at 10:52 AM, AlwaysaFalcon said:

My first year of applying I applied to 10 schools. My second year of applying I applied to 20 school. This past year I applied to 30 schools because I was worried I wouldn't get in anywhere. Honestly it was probably overkill haha but I would more focus on schools that are tailored to you. Look at range of gpa schools accept, ratio of those they are accept to number of applicants, and gre range on ASHA Edfind. I would advise only applying to schools that you think you'll get into. I tried to be really picky when applying to schools and obviously it worked out for me! Best of luck! :) 

Would you mind telling me your stats? My undergrad is pretty low and I'm a bit worried...

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2017 at 12:44 AM, jessinjapan said:

Would you mind telling me your stats? My undergrad is pretty low and I'm a bit worried...

Sure! I had a 3.34 gpa in undergrad, not sure what my gpa was specifically in my speech classes. Then I had a 4.0 writing on the gre, 142 verbal and 144 math.