I keep reading on this forum about students who have 3.7-4.0 GPA's and they're either having trouble getting in or easily get accepted and it's giving me some anxiety because on both my undergrad and post-bac I have a GPA of around 3.4-3.5 I've done a lot of volunteer/observations in medical settings, public schools and private practice ranging from pediatrics to adults. But I'm not sure if that's even enough... Most of my LOR are coming from professionals who I worked with since I rarely connected with any professors from my online post-bac. I haven't taken the GRE yet because I'm debating if I only want to apply to schools that don't require the GRE.

Should I even apply when I have a huge chance of getting rejected? Or just move on into being an SLPA?

Feels frustrating because in such a competitive field, I wish they can see some people who are truly passionate about being an SLP.

I think it's important to reach out to your professors and ask for an LOR. Reach out to the professors where you earned an A, tell them about your volunteer work and your passion for the field...you need academic LORs. When I applied it was required that at least 2 out of the 3 were academic letters. 

Don't limit yourself to schools that don't require GREs, especially if you're already afraid you're application isn't competitive enough. Study hard for the GREs because high GRE scores will offset your GPA. 

Edited by BeachySpeechy

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott

But seriously, if this is want you want to do then go for it! There are SO many people going into grad school who have a lower GPA than you, with less experience, etc. so if this is what you wanna do then just go for it. Yes, it's a competitive field and I don't wanna say that you shouldn't be worried but I think that it's worth applying.

I agree with @BeachySpeechy speechy though -- don't limit yourself to only programs that don't take the GRE (especially since most people applying to these programs are people with very high GPAs and average/low GRE scores). Study hard for it and kick some ass.

I had a GPA lower than yours and LoRs ONLY from work supervisors (I had been out of school for a while and my job was very related to the field). I think you should do your research on schools that admit applicants with your scores and go for SLP if that's your dream! You are discrediting yourself way too early—apply!

I posted a similar "will I get in?" post on here before I applied, so I am not criticizing you for posting this, but keep in mind that every applicant is so different and every admissions committee looks for different things, so it is hard to assess someone else's chances of getting in. 

I also felt similarly, thinking "if only they could see how passionate and skilled I am..." but I encourage you to not go into graduate school thinking that way. I am amazed at how smart, driven, and passionate most people in my cohort are! 

• 2 weeks later...

It's always worth a shot, grades aren't what define a person and that's why programs have interviews, to get to know the person behind the grades a little bit more.  I would definitely get a letter or two from professors as I know in the program I'm in now they won't even look at applications that don't have atlas two LORs from previous professors.  Good luck, stay positive!

i would definitely apply- what have you go to lose?! your best bet is to be strategic with where you apply to.  there's lots of people with low GPAs getting into grad school- one way to find those schools is to go through ashaedfind and find those schools with lower gpas.  start with those. there's lots of other ways too to increase your chances- just need to be strategic with where to apply. for more advice and tips on how to increase your chances- check out my website- www.slpgradschool.com

good luck- p

Don't give up! Keep applying! I've mentioned this before on other posts, but it took me 3 application cycles to get into grad school! If this is what you want keep going! I even had a lower gpa than you and got into 3 grad programs! Focus instead on writing a kick butt letter of intent! I also get the gre anxiety. Speaking as someone who hates standardized tests I can understand not wanting to take them. Most schools want those scores so you should take them to keep your options open. 

Don't give up!

I was so worried all last year that I wouldn't get into any school based on my GPA score. However, I stuck it out and received acceptances! 

A lower score on one part of the application can be offset with a higher score on something else. If you don't like your GPA, focus on your GRE. If you don't think you letter recs will be outstanding, make sure you write a phenomenal personal statement. Just make sure you sell yourself as best as you can and be honest with yourself and with the schools you are applying to. Also look at ASHA Edfind because they post a lot of stats about the kind of students they accept. I guarantee you'l find a bunch of schools that will accept students like you!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it is entirely possible you will not get in. I don't say this to be mean but just so you have realistic expectations because applying is time-consuming and expensive. If money is not an issue, I would definitely say go for it because if you get in awesome if not you have a great back up plan and you apply again in a year. However, do not just apply to schools that don't require the GRE because your lower GPA will not stand out. I hadn't taken a math class in 5 years. I used Magoosh and scored in the 155 percentile in the math, it is not that bad. I have attached a link to an excel sheet with data on a range of schools. Good luck!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EMiqkkRZruy7b84RlbdmJX8xjMQgDtFQfP1GwSbKJtQ/edit#gid=0

7 hours ago, FrostyPotroast89 said:

Yes, it is entirely possible you will not get in. I don't say this to be mean but just so you have realistic expectations because applying is time-consuming and expensive. If money is not an issue, I would definitely say go for it because if you get in awesome if not you have a great back up plan and you apply again in a year. However, do not just apply to schools that don't require the GRE because your lower GPA will not stand out. I hadn't taken a math class in 5 years. I used Magoosh and scored in the 155 percentile in the math, it is not that bad. I have attached a link to an excel sheet with data on a range of schools. Good luck!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EMiqkkRZruy7b84RlbdmJX8xjMQgDtFQfP1GwSbKJtQ/edit#gid=0

wow thank you so much for the excel spreadsheet! it helped immensely and i think i found a couple of schools to apply to :)

On 10/18/2017 at 5:14 AM, chloslp said:

OKAY LISTEN EVERYONE. It is impossible to know a certain GPA or stat that gets people into grad school for this program. I would go for it!! Your GPA is not your whole application and the same with the GRE. It is a mix of everything. Trust me, I wish we would know ahead of time which schools would automatically accept and reject so we knew where to apply but the thing is, the application process is so multidimensional and you have the opportunity to make up for your lower GPA in other areas. I would encourage working on strong LOR and definitely take time on your essays/questions. Highlight the positive aspects like your involvement and how you will be a great SLP because of it. 

Also...avoid this site if it's stressing you out. I had to limit myself because I was feeling very overwhelmed.

Good luck! 

Yes I think I will be taking a break from this website until after applications... It's so overwhelming seeing people with high GPA's worrying about their application and I only have a 3.4-3.5 trying to apply in California and online programs.

Thank you for the advice :) and good luck to you as well!

On September 28, 2017 at 2:02 PM, AlwaysaFalcon said:

Don't give up! Keep applying! I've mentioned this before on other posts, but it took me 3 application cycles to get into grad school! If this is what you want keep going! I even had a lower gpa than you and got into 3 grad programs! Focus instead on writing a kick butt letter of intent! I also get the gre anxiety. Speaking as someone who hates standardized tests I can understand not wanting to take them. Most schools want those scores so you should take them to keep your options open. 

How are you liking Governor's State?! It's one of my top schools because it's close to home but I'm curious how the program is

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2017 at 1:53 PM, hopefulslp1 said:

How are you liking Governor's State?! It's one of my top schools because it's close to home but I'm curious how the program is

I like it so far! It's cool because there is a wide variety of students in the program and the professors work close with you because they want you to succeed! You take all of your classes first and then your last three semesters are practicum in the field. I like focusing on classes first! It's my first semester so I don't have much to say but so far so good! :)