59 minutes ago, Delidas said:

Just got my official offer from NPSIA. If you received an unofficial Email last week, I'd check Carleton Central. The funding is broken up into a few different categories, but mine totals out to about 29K for the two years.

Not too shabby.

Now to wait on Geneva...

36 minutes ago, sandradee said:

Received my official offer as well. 15k. not sure what I think about that. Good luck to everyone else! 

Congrats! Would you be willing to share your stats with the rest of us?

8 minutes ago, Darda18 said:

Sure. 

Double Major in Honours Criminology and Honours Human Rights & Human Diversity. CGPA of 11.50/12.00, got >90% in both micro and macroeconomics (which I'm sure helped me out a fair bit). I've got one publication in a relevant discipline. 

As far as ECs go, I'm co-chair of my university's WUSC branch, and - without giving up my partisanship - president of a federal political party's youth club. I'm also the youngest table officer on that same party's electoral district association. Aside from that, I did some research in Mexico over the summer, and coming out of that helped to develop a scholarship for displaced Mexican-Americans to study in Canada.  

I'm pretty sure both of my referees had good things to say about me, too. I wouldn't dare understate the importance of that. 

4 hours ago, Darda18 said:

Sure! I have a BSW and a MSW. Undergraduate CGPA was 2.7 but GPA on last two years of BSW was a 4.0. MSW GPA was 4.0. Did my graduate thesis funded by the united nations, published two articles based of findings related to gender violence in East Africa. Worked in high crisis response roles mostly relating to gender. Did undergraduate practicum in the caribbean, worked in Kenya (8 month contract) and India (8 month contract) following MSW. Was a TA in my MSW as well. I also speak spanish. I would have had above average LORs. 

Edited by sandradee

@limbsun Thank you !! I initially wanted GSPIA, but when I wrote my letters, I realized that maybe SIDGS would fit me better. So I'll wait for their answer... Not too sure what I would ! Have you heard from other schools ? 

@Corenn There's numerous departmental scholarships, a teaching assistantship, a research assistantship, and a research scholarship. 

I'm not sure by what parameter funding is exactly determined. I'm guessing it's holistic, and in the case of research, probably tied to your interests as outlined in your SOI. 

Do you guys think I should email Tabbatha about my official acceptance or wait a few days? I know in the email last week she said she doesn't have a time frame for when I'll get my official acceptance or funding, but I'm also getting a bit antsy now that others who were accepted last week have gotten their official offers. lol.

Edited by sunshine18

31 minutes ago, sunshine18 said:

Do you guys think I should email Tabbatha about my official acceptance or wait a few days? I know in the email last week she said she doesn't have a time frame for when I'll get my official acceptance or funding, but I'm also getting a bit antsy now that others who were accepted last week have gotten their official offers. lol.

Try and be patient and wait. Last year, all of the first round offers were out within about a week or two from each other. Some people just got news of their funding before others, but it will come within the next few days. If you got an unofficial e-mail, you've already been accepted, don't worry on that front.

Edited by LoopyLex

8 minutes ago, LoopyLex said:

Try and be patient and wait. Last year, all of the first round offers were out within about a week or two from each other. Some people just got news of their funding before others, but it will come within the next few days. If you got an unofficial e-mail, you've already been accepted, don't worry on that front.

Hey, I was meaning to ask, wondering if you have any insight on this. I was just following some other programs and there was one person who's applied to Carleton's MA for Journalism program who's been informed by that dept. that international students would only be sent offers depending on how many domestic students they have. Now that program is small (only 20 students overall), but as I understand, NPSIA is a much larger program. Would you have any insight into how many international students there are, and if you know anything based on your application experience last year if it's true that we get offers only depending on how many domestic students accept or anything to that effect? Any information would be appreciated.

Sorry for putting you on the spot. 

3 hours ago, Sagnik_G said:

Hey, I was meaning to ask, wondering if you have any insight on this. I was just following some other programs and there was one person who's applied to Carleton's MA for Journalism program who's been informed by that dept. that international students would only be sent offers depending on how many domestic students they have. Now that program is small (only 20 students overall), but as I understand, NPSIA is a much larger program. Would you have any insight into how many international students there are, and if you know anything based on your application experience last year if it's true that we get offers only depending on how many domestic students accept or anything to that effect? Any information would be appreciated.

Sorry for putting you on the spot. 

I'm not really an expert on this subject as a domestic student. As far as I know, there's no set number accepted for either category of student, they focus primarily on the overall quality of the student. That being said, we don't usually get a ton of international students applying. 

Anyways, word around the school is that all first round offers have been sent out, or at the very least are being finalized with funding details. I know that won't be great news for all of you, but do remember that second round offers may be coming around as people make their final decisions.

35 minutes ago, LoopyLex said:

I'm not really an expert on this subject as a domestic student. As far as I know, there's no set number accepted for either category of student, they focus primarily on the overall quality of the student. That being said, we don't usually get a ton of international students applying. 

Anyways, word around the school is that all first round offers have been sent out, or at the very least are being finalized with funding details. I know that won't be great news for all of you, but do remember that second round offers may be coming around as people make their final decisions.

Thanks for the insight. Just out of curiosity, would you happen to know if this first round includes JD/MA applicants? 

37 minutes ago, LoopyLex said:

Do you think if you're waitlisted they'll email us about it?

I haven't heard back nor has my status updated from review in progress by department. Seems like didn't make the first cut, oh well. Would be nice to know the actual status..

4 minutes ago, ZayyQs said:

I haven't heard back nor has my status updated from review in progress by department. Seems like didn't make the first cut, oh well. Would be nice to know the actual status..

I asked them again yesterday and they said to still wait for other offers to come out but it’s taking forever. The entire process is taking longer than med school applications lol

10 minutes ago, Omie said:

Thanks for the insight. Just out of curiosity, would you happen to know if this first round includes JD/MA applicants? 

I believe it does include JD/MA applicants, but don't quote me on that. 

7 minutes ago, ZayyQs said:

They should. Carleton is running the risk of a strike this Monday with a lot of the administrative and technical staff, so this could cause some delays. Not too sure how much the process has been/could be impacted though.

3 minutes ago, DCrSS said:

I asked them again yesterday and they said to still wait for other offers to come out but it’s taking forever. The entire process is taking longer than med school applications lol

They don't really like to give definitive dates and the like, haha. And oh man, we are LUCKY these are not like med school applications. My poor sister is doing that right now and she has to wait until May for first round invites, and had her application in by October. :unsure:

5 hours ago, sunshine18 said:

I haven't received an official acceptance either, even though I got an unofficial acceptance last week. My status still says "recommend for assessment "

Y'all. I made a HUGEEEE mistake. Posting here so no one does the same, but actually assuming that it was probably just me *face palm*

To check my funding, I went into "Awards and Financial Assistance" on the first page you see when you open Carleton central. I hit "student award information". There it displays your funding...but for the CURRENT YEAR ONLY. To which it said 15K. So I went back into the portal today to see how I can accept/decline my offer, and thats where I went through student records, view application, etc, and I could see my physical letter and conditions of letter etc. I then saw all of the funding for BOTH years. <_< 

So yes, I'm accepted. With 27k! Not 15.

Make sure you are looking in the right spot everyone lol

Edited by sandradee

On 3/2/2018 at 10:49 AM, Corenn said:

@Delidas @sandradee

For your funding, what are the categories that it is broken into? Thanks!

In general, how does the program determine funding?

Not sure how they determine funding, but mine is broken up into a TAship, a Departmental Scholarship, and a domestic entrance masters scholarship.

@sandradee Congrats on the funding! 27K is nothing to turn your nose up at, after all. And my funding is basically broken down in the same way as yours, but it also includes a research assistantship. After doing some math, the pay per hour rate is actually pretty lucrative (for a student).  

The more I think about it, the more NPSIA is starting to edge out IHEID as my first choice. If I qualify for the tuition waiver + stipend in Geneva, I'm going to have to make a tough decision... 

Long time lurker here :huh: posting to ask @sandradee how exactly did you find the funding for the second year? I also received my official offer this week and can only find my funding for the first year, which is similar to yours. I am wondering if this is really all I got or if I'm just not looking in the right place. I feel like I've tried every possible link on the website but can only seem to find the first years funding... Thanks for any help you may provide! 

Hi everyone! 

Just catching up on this thread now. I received an acceptance email from Tabbatha (NPSIA) on Feb 23rd and from GSPIA in early February. 

I still haven't gotten word on official funding from NPSIA yet... hoping to hear back next week. 

My biggest struggle at this point is the economics requirement. I am still in the process of completing my MSW at Carleton (@sandralee - so nice to see another MSW accepted to the program) and am finishing it in July. I am taking microeconomics online through Ryerson right now, and I can't say it's been easy... that being said I'm juggling 4 grad courses (not including the microecon course), working outside of school and two part time TAships. I am concerned that I might have to retake the course over the summer... numbers and particularly anything algebraic have never been my thing. Does anyone know what the course offered by Carleton over the summer looks like? The benefit of accepting GSPIA's offer is that the econ course is included in the program and it seems like, as indicated on the offer letter, that I do not need to complete any extra course work prior to starting the program.

Would anyone be able to provide some advice on NPSIA vs. GSPIA? I realise it's quite contested, but I'd love to hear what your opinions are. My understanding is that GSPIA has more international opportunities (uOttawa's international office is seemingly on point) but I could be very wrong in that.

Thanks!

Edited by alexma63

10 minutes ago, alexma63 said:

Hi everyone! 

Just catching up on this thread now. I received an acceptance email from Tabbatha (NPSIA) on Feb 23rd and from GSPIA in early February. 

I still haven't gotten word on official funding from NPSIA yet... hoping to hear back next week. 

My biggest struggle at this point is the economics requirement. I am still in the process of completing my MSW at Carleton (@sandralee - so nice to see another MSW accepted to the program) and am finishing it in July. I am taking microeconomics online through Ryerson right now, and I can't say it's been easy... that being said I'm juggling 4 grad courses (not including the microecon course), working outside of school and two part time TAships. I am concerned that I might have to retake the course over the summer... numbers and particularly anything algebraic have never been my thing. Does anyone know what the course offered by Carleton over the summer looks like? The benefit of accepting GSPIA's offer is that the econ course is included in the program and it seems like, as indicated on the offer letter, that I do not need to complete any extra course work prior to starting the program.

Would anyone be able to provide some advice on NPSIA vs. GSPIA? I realise it's quite contested, but I'd love to hear what your opinions are. My understanding is that GSPIA has more international opportunities (uOttawa's international office is seemingly on point) but I could be very wrong in that.

Thanks!

I am debating between NPSIA and Munk and I got an unofficial offer from NPSIA on the 23rd as well with no word of funding yet. I do not have the economics requirement but if I got to NPSIA I plan on taking the online Carleton course over the summer. For the carleton course half of the summer is micro and half is macro. In your case you'd be taking economics either way so you might as well get some background knowledge on it if you decide to go to GSPIA. I guess in either situation you can't really avoid economics. If you're struggling at the moment, maybe hiring a tutor may ease the stress of the course?

Edited by sunshine18

@sunshine18 Congrats on your offers :)

Ah okay, so it is online? That's helpful as I will be completing an internship this summer. I will also already be paying full time tuition to Carleton so at least it shouldn't cost me anything extra. Yeah, I think a tutor might be necessary... I'm just not sure where to find reliable ones... from what I've seen of ads on Kijiji I'm not impressed. Any ideas?