Hi everyone, 

I only just found this thread and am pleasantly relieved to find some company too. I applied to the MA program at NPSIA. My status still remains preliminary review required. I am praying it changes to show some progress. As with everyone else, anxiety is hitting the roof. Either way, good luck everyone. 

Hey guys, my status says "recommended for assessment" but as many have noted in this thread I should not get too excited. 

But I wanted to know what exactly does that mean..that we met the GPA cut off? or they assessed our files a little further and we seem like good fits? Does anyone know what this status really says about the strength of our application?

7 hours ago, gemmi said:

Hey guys, my status says "recommended for assessment" but as many have noted in this thread I should not get too excited. 

But I wanted to know what exactly does that mean..that we met the GPA cut off? or they assessed our files a little further and we seem like good fits? Does anyone know what this status really says about the strength of our application?

https://graduate.carleton.ca/application-status/

This was posted earlier in the forum, but I'm just reposting the link for the benefit of the people who are joining new or are unable to find the original poster.

To answer your question, your current status would mean that your documents and such are probably in order and they have moved you ahead to now be assessed by the department. I guess once the department actually begins looking at your file the status will change again. 

Hey folks, quick question: I've been recently contemplating applying to NPSIA (despite having missed the deadline for the first round of offers).  Any clue whether, besides being considered for guaranteed funding, what other disadvantages I might be at by applying later? How many second round offers are extended? Or if they are, at all? 

3 hours ago, mppmgaapplicant2018 said:

Hey folks, quick question: I've been recently contemplating applying to NPSIA (despite having missed the deadline for the first round of offers).  Any clue whether, besides being considered for guaranteed funding, what other disadvantages I might be at by applying later? How many second round offers are extended? Or if they are, at all? 

Last year, no second round offers went out. They had more people accept first round than they were planning on admitting (Munk was super cheap with funding packages, so I know a lot of people went with NPSIA because of that). It doesn't always seem to be that way, but generally there are very few second round offers from my understanding. So if you have the extra money you can give it a shot, but your odds are likely not the best. 

Edited by LoopyLex

@mppmgaapplicant2018 I'd echo LoopyLex's sentiments, but without the weight of experience; this is my first application round, so I'm only going off of anecdote. That being said, you have nothing to lose by applying. Regardless of the odds, the surest way to lower your chance of acceptance is to not apply at all. If you can stand to part with the cash, I'd go for it. 

11 hours ago, LoopyLex said:

Last year, no second round offers went out. They had more people accept first round than they were planning on admitting (Munk was super cheap with funding packages, so I know a lot of people went with NPSIA because of that). It doesn't always seem to be that way, but generally there are very few second round offers from my understanding. So if you have the extra money you can give it a shot, but your odds are likely not the best. 

2 hours ago, Delidas said:

@mppmgaapplicant2018 I'd echo LoopyLex's sentiments, but without the weight of experience; this is my first application round, so I'm only going off of anecdote. That being said, you have nothing to lose by applying. Regardless of the odds, the surest way to lower your chance of acceptance is to not apply at all. If you can stand to part with the cash, I'd go for it. 

Thanks for the insight, you two! 

I had an optimistic thought. This thread is a lot smaller than last year. It is less focused on other similar programs, but maybe it also means there are a lot fewer applicants this year! Maybe there is room for everyone!

1 hour ago, Irwi said:

I had an optimistic thought. This thread is a lot smaller than last year. It is less focused on other similar programs, but maybe it also means there are a lot fewer applicants this year! Maybe there is room for everyone!

The suspense is killing me! I just want to know!

58 minutes ago, DCrSS said:

Do they work on reading break? I can't wait anymore lol it's been like 6 months.

If anything I would hope that they have extra time to go through applications when all the students are away.

10 hours ago, Irwi said:

If anything I would hope that they have extra time to go through applications when all the students are away.

Exactly. If they're trying to get things out by the end of this month at least, I would assume they'd take every opportunity possible. 

16 hours ago, Irwi said:

Here's hoping that means we each manage to procure a decent funding package as well. You know, while we're all being optimistic :P

I'm also pretty sure that they'll be working over reading week. If the goal is to have acceptances out by the end of the month, then they'd pretty much have to. Otherwise they'd have what, three days or something? If they've learned lessons from years past, they'll do the work now to spare them headache and inquiry in the future. We students can be real pains in the ass when we want to be, you know!

I am trying so hard not to think about it. Midterms are helping a lot in that aspect, though. 

Looks like I'm pretty much the only one who didn't apply to NPSIA :lol: but if we are all optimist, we might all be in Ottawa next year. Anyone started thinking about where to live ? I'll be abroad all summer so I think it will be hard to manage...

I've heard good things about the Glebe, Old Ottawa South, Centertown, and Little Italy. Good in that they're all close to Carleton, have decent access to public transportation, and offer comparatively cheap rent. Depending what my financial situation is like, I might look for a place around there. Preferably in Little Italy, because, you know, food. 

1 hour ago, SamNpsia said:

Hey everyone,

I just got off the phone with NPSIA, according to them some decisions have been made, but no one has been informed. Offers should start rolling out by next week or the week after. 

Stress level just went from 0 to 100 real quick. 

Okay yeah anxiety is rising by the second!

Has anyone's status from this group changed? What are the statuses now from members here?

20 minutes ago, gemmi said:

Okay yeah anxiety is rising by the second!

Has anyone's status from this group changed? What are the statuses now from members here?

Still on "prelim review required" :/