Fall 2018 CANADIAN clinical psychology

ContentFaces

15 minutes ago, LilyD said:

Does anyone know if people who are "recommended by the department" are ever rejected once it's forward to the faculty of graduate studies? I'm so paranoid 

Only in rare situations that it gets rejected after the POI and committee and put your name forward.

ALSO, officially rejected from UVIC and Ryerson ... good riddance!

1 hour ago, LilyD said:

Does anyone know if people who are "recommended by the department" are ever rejected once it's forward to the faculty of graduate studies? I'm so paranoid 

It happened to me with Regina 2 years ago, but i dont think its common at all.

2 hours ago, Sephix said:

Only in rare situations that it gets rejected after the POI and committee and put your name forward.

ALSO, officially rejected from UVIC and Ryerson ... good riddance!

Happened to me a few years ago, BUT it was because I was an international student and the prof didn't have their own funding.

1 hour ago, BeezKnees said:

It happened to me with Regina 2 years ago, but i dont think its common at all.

Did they give you a reason why? 

I still haven't gotten my Ryerson rejection...weird! got my Uvic one yesterday, though. Accepted Lakehead - looking unlikely I'll come off any waitlists and the research there is a great fit and my POI is so nice.

Hi all.  Just received notice that I am offered CIHR for a clinical program that I was interviewed/rejected from (Western).  Would it be crude of me to email the POI that rejected me and say something around the lines of "Hey, would you reconsider now that I have funding?"

12 hours ago, LilyD said:

Did they give you a reason why? 

Yep! When my POI told me it didnt go through, he told me it was because of my grades. Basically, they werent high enough.

6 minutes ago, elicit said:

Hi all.  Just received notice that I am offered CIHR for a clinical program that I was interviewed/rejected from (Western).  Would it be crude of me to email the POI that rejected me and say something around the lines of "Hey, would you reconsider now that I have funding?"

Cant hurt! Id do it.

6 minutes ago, elicit said:

I would go for it. I’ve heard of people getting into programs after being waitlisted or rejected because they got external funding. 

Along those lines, I was offered OGS at York, so I decided to email the graduate office and let them know. Do you think I should also email the POIs I applied to? I wasn't sure if that would be weird, since I applied to more than one POI, and I'm not sure who I am waitlisted for.

27 minutes ago, prospectclin said:

Does anyone know how or if it’s possible to check your CIHR ranking?

I know for the school I was waitlisted at for CIHR, they weren't allowed to tell me how far down I am on the list. It may be different depending on your school though, so you might want to try asking the grad department!

37 minutes ago, brainiac6 said:

I know for the school I was waitlisted at for CIHR, they weren't allowed to tell me how far down I am on the list. It may be different depending on your school though, so you might want to try asking the grad department!

Thanks! Alternate status = the most success I’ve had so far in my 2 yrs of applying haha 

3 hours ago, elicit said:

It's worth a shot! I did the same thing when I won both the masters and doctoral SSHRC awards without an acceptance.  

I got offered an OGS at York as well, but haven't heard anything regarding a change in my application status. Should I email the grad department or my POI? Is this situation similar to CGS-M funding, where you can get a scholarship for a school you didn't get an acceptance at?

12 hours ago, elicit said:

CIHR is definitely worth inquiring about! I know it helped me once upon a time :) Do keep in mind, though, that if you were rejected and not still on the waitlist that might make it a bit more difficult. But no harm in trying like everyone has said!

9 hours ago, clinpsychian said:

I got offered an OGS at York as well, but haven't heard anything regarding a change in my application status. Should I email the grad department or my POI? Is this situation similar to CGS-M funding, where you can get a scholarship for a school you didn't get an acceptance at?

As above, if you are still on the waitlist, it's a good reason to reach out and let them know that you are able to bring external funding to the table, particularly with your POI. They may decide to then connect with the admin and see if taking you is still a possibility (if they are able to take one more student at this point). 

33 minutes ago, WolfBlass said:

Sorry about the rejection...I'm still waiting to here too but assuming rejection. Did you find out via email or the online portal?

I checked MyFile! Good luck!