Fall 2018 CANADIAN clinical psychology

ContentFaces

2 hours ago, Sasha_Grad said:

More specifically, the Adult Clinical. But I think the info may apply to Developmental as well.

I interviewed for the clinical developmental program, and I know that my POI at least sent out her first offer the week after the interview day which has since been accepted.

On 3/13/2018 at 9:19 AM, Laur479 said:

Has anyone who was interviewed for counselling psych at McGill heard anything since their interview?! Thanks. 

I believe the first round of invitations have gone out.... but not 100% sure. Is this for PhD or MA? 

On 2018-02-28 at 6:03 PM, Sephix said:

Hey sorry guys, one of my friends received their informal offer earlier in the month and their official offer around the 12th...they told me their open house is next Friday the 9th.

If you are waiting, the chances are, they are trying to see which students will accept and whatnot before sending waitlist or rejection offers.

I will talk to my friend after the 9th and let you guys know!

Hey @Sephix, any update from your friend on Windsor (child track)? Still no update on my online portal nor an email back from the secretary! 

33 minutes ago, psyo77 said:

Hey @Sephix, any update from your friend on Windsor (child track)? Still no update on my online portal nor an email back from the secretary! 

Same - thinking of calling the grad secretary today but not sure if that would be of any use. 

27 minutes ago, Neurophilic said:

Is anyone still waiting to hear from York? 

I am but kinda gave up on it. Haven't heard anything, no interviews, no update on Myfile and no rejections or whatsoever..

3 hours ago, Psych.kitty said:

Same - thinking of calling the grad secretary today but not sure if that would be of any use. 

Hey sorry,

They said they had already picked their top 12-15 students in all tracks (they had 4 child students) and their open house (Last Friday) was only for those that got in.

I am under the impression that if you had no interview then you will be rejected UNLESS, the current 12-15 reject (some will reject from what I heard) and then wait-list and if wait-list rejects then 2nd round of interviews.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear but that's the info I was given. 

If you have other questions, let me know and I can find out for you ASAP

23 hours ago, Sasha_Grad said:

More specifically, the Adult Clinical. But I think the info may apply to Developmental as well.

I am wondering if it does apply to developmental

The reason I say this is that the POI I applied to is DP and she is known for changing her mind last second about  getting students so...I am positive I have been rejected but it won't be official for a while. Gotta love politics!!

21 hours ago, hbz_13 said:

I interviewed for the clinical developmental program, and I know that my POI at least sent out her first offer the week after the interview day which has since been accepted.

@hbz_13 Do you mind sharing your POI with me? Feel free to private message me - I also interviewed for the CD program! Thanks!

1 hour ago, Neurophilic said:

Is anyone still waiting to hear from York? 

I interviewed for the CD program at the Open House, but haven't heard since. I finally emailed the Graduate Program Secretary and she said that the first round of offers have gone out and that I remain on the shortlist. She told me to keep checking my profile online to see if I end up being given an offer... My online portal still says "No Decision Yet". Hope that helps :( 

7 minutes ago, Steph93 said:

I interviewed for the CD program at the Open House, but haven't heard since. I finally emailed the Graduate Program Secretary and she said that the first round of offers have gone out and that I remain on the shortlist. She told me to keep checking my profile online to see if I end up being given an offer... My online portal still says "No Decision Yet". Hope that helps :( 

Do you think everyone who has "No Decision Yet" is short listed? I'm tempted to e-mail the secretary to check my status..

55 minutes ago, Neurophilic said:

Do you think everyone who has "No Decision Yet" is short listed? I'm tempted to e-mail the secretary to check my status..

Neuro if you do, please let us know!

I called her a couple weeks ago and she said that if you have that status, then you're still in consideration... nonetheless, let us know!

3 hours ago, Sephix said:

I am wondering if it does apply to developmental

The reason I say this is that the POI I applied to is DP and she is known for changing her mind last second about  getting students so...I am positive I have been rejected but it won't be official for a while. Gotta love politics!!

It should apply to the CD area as well. At this point, it is probably a matter of waiting for the first wave of invites to be accepted in both clinical areas before any status changes are made. For those who are on the waitlist, don't lose hope yet!

4 hours ago, Sephix said:

Hey sorry,

They said they had already picked their top 12-15 students in all tracks (they had 4 child students) and their open house (Last Friday) was only for those that got in.

I am under the impression that if you had no interview then you will be rejected UNLESS, the current 12-15 reject (some will reject from what I heard) and then wait-list and if wait-list rejects then 2nd round of interviews.

So, they accepted 12-15 students? I was interviewed and have not heard back. I'm not sure if that means rejection or waitlist (for child clinical). Do you know whether the child clinical applicants that were accepted will be accepting their offer? 

19 hours ago, Psych.kitty said:

So, they accepted 12-15 students? I was interviewed and have not heard back. I'm not sure if that means rejection or waitlist (for child clinical). Do you know whether the child clinical applicants that were accepted will be accepting their offer? 

Hey,

All I was told was that a few students were on the fence for various reasons...a couple of the child were on the fence but haven't committed either way yet.

My friend suggests you call the secretary and ask about your specific status given you were interviewed. Who was you POI?

Hey guys, I just got an email from my poi saying "You are currently on our admission shortlist. I will let you know if anything changes with your status". Does it mean that I am on the waitlist or there's a higher chance of getting in than that? Thanks!

55 minutes ago, Dylia said:

Hey guys, I just got an email from my poi saying "You are currently on our admission shortlist. I will let you know if anything changes with your status". Does it mean that I am on the waitlist or there's a higher chance of getting in than that? Thanks!

I believe it’s essentially a waitlist. I could be wrong. Which school is this for? 

3 hours ago, Dylia said:

If you were interviewed it likely means that your POI extended an offer to someone and you’ve been waitlisted for admission if that person declines. Best of luck!

Edited by Sharbar

On 2018-03-15 at 1:44 PM, Sephix said:

Hey sorry,

Thanks @Sephix for the update! 

11 hours ago, Online ed said:

I only applied at UBC-O and I didn't interview back in February. Haven't heard a peep.

Is Yorkville University (RCC designation after the MACP) reputable?

Yorkville University MACP is recognized by the CRPO, so if you are interested in becoming a Registered Psychotherapist in Ontario, it looks good!  If you don't live in Ontario, you will have to check with the provincial regulatory body (college) to see if it's recognized there.  Psychotherapy is not regulated in every province.  Also: if you're interested in being a psychologist, it doesn't look like Yorkville is accredited by the CPA.

Hope that helps!

well, fourth year trying and given that i havent gotten any acceptances, it looks like another year of rejections. does anybody have any tips regarding where to focus their energies and how to improve their applications? I have a high GPA, good GRE scores (though now I have to rewrite since it will expire), a masters in personality and measurement (yet no publications yet save one in the undergraduate journal and a book chapter), several conference presentations, and about 5 years volunteer experience collectively between RA work and dropping in at the mental hospitals. any help at all would be extremely appreciated