Fall 2018 CANADIAN clinical psychology

ContentFaces

5 minutes ago, brainiac6 said:

I just got an email from CGS saying that the status of my application changed! Has anyone else gotten one of these?

Three of mine have changed! I've been rejected from all of the schools I applied to CGS at, so it doesn't really matter, but it'd still make me feel good to be awarded one LOL

3 hours ago, punkwich said:

Three of mine have changed! I've been rejected from all of the schools I applied to CGS at, so it doesn't really matter, but it'd still make me feel good to be awarded one LOL

I thought that the CGS committees at each school will only consider the students who have received acceptances. Does anyone know if this true? Or can you receive a CGS at a school that rejected you? 

31 minutes ago, i/olover said:

I thought that the CGS committees at each school will only consider the students who have received acceptances. Does anyone know if this true? Or can you receive a CGS at a school that rejected you? 

The CGS committees and the admissions committees are completely different, so you can get rejected with CGS for sure. It's unfortunate - sometimes can be used as a back way in but less likely in psych i think

13 hours ago, i/olover said:

Happened to me last year. The department and committee don't talk to each other. If you get a CGS, then you won't be able to accept it. But at the very least you can add the fact that you were awarded with the scholarship but had to decline on your CV (I added "due to lack of space" because I was on the waitlist vs unsuccessful program application. You can just leave it at declined if you want though). That at least shows the schools that you can win prestigious awards and were pretty much just a victim of circumstance (which is understandable due to the competitive nature of the program).

Edited by Sasha_Grad
details; typos

4 hours ago, Sasha_Grad said:

Happened to me last year. The department and committee don't talk to each other. If you get a CGS, then you won't be able to accept it. But at the very least you can add the fact that you were awarded with the scholarship but had to decline on your CV (I added "due to lack of space" because I was on the waitlist vs unsuccessful program application. You can just leave it at declined if you want though). That at least shows the schools that you can win prestigious awards and were pretty much just a victim of circumstance (which is understandable due to the competitive nature of the program).

This is why I wish they had left the Master's CGS decisions at the national level rather than delegating it to the schools. It was much easier before when you could win the award and take it anywhere you want. 

23 hours ago, brainiac6 said:

I just got an email from CGS saying that the status of my application changed! Has anyone else gotten one of these?

I also got this email! When I open my portal though nothing has changed except the time stamp! Anyone else experiencing something similar? 

1 hour ago, stella18 said:

I also got this email! When I open my portal though nothing has changed except the time stamp! Anyone else experiencing something similar? 

On 3/21/2018 at 5:32 PM, brainiac6 said:

Yep!  Happened to me as well!  

4 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

This is why I wish they had left the Master's CGS decisions at the national level rather than delegating it to the schools. It was much easier before when you could win the award and take it anywhere you want. 

Seconded. The new system shifts the power from the applicant to the institutions. Instead of a feather in the applicant's cap, it's now just one more recruiting tool that universities can use to convince some candidate to come there instead of elsewhere. Frankly, I think it diminishes the prestige of the award. If university A gives you one of their allocated awards, why should that matter to university B? It's a positive signal, of course, but I don't know what criteria they used to judge, and I don't know who the other candidates are. Under the previous system it was prestigious because you knew that a recipient stacked up well in national competition against many other highly qualified applicants. 

Edited by lewin

4 hours ago, stella18 said:

This happened last year as well, when I applied. It means that a decision has been reached for your application, and it has been posted. But you only get to see what it is on April 1st. They let all applicants access their statuses starting at midnight on April 1st.

4 minutes ago, WolfBlass said:

If anyone's looking for news on Ryerson, they sent out some rejections yesterday. Got my rejection late yesterday afternoon, so their process is moving along. 

Are they sending these out via email?

Just waiting on rejections from UBC-O, UVIC, Ryerson, York and Guelph ... no hate though only because they gave me no indications whatsoever whereas at least NB told me what I needed to work on etc and Queens told me why (both after contacting POI)