Fall 2018 Admission

deleteaccount

I have seen a few people getting admits to the University of Toronto CS grad program. They started sending out their results in early February and have also interviewed some people . I haven't heard anything, neither have I had an interview.  So is it safe to say that my application is rejected and the decision is a mere formality now.

Edited by terminator

On 2/18/2018 at 3:19 PM, Luptior said:

Anyone has updates on Duke CS PhD? I see someone got interview and someone received offer without interview, that makes situation complicated...

Did you get invited to visit? They sent out invitations a few weeks ago to visit earlier this month for North American candidates. I'm not sure if they had anything for international candidates, so I wouldn't worry if that's the case.

BTW, I am the one who posted an admission without an interview. I was unable to attend the visit weekend and was surprised to hear from them so soon based on data from previous years, which show that decisions were all sent out in March. I think maybe I heard from them earlier because they nominated me for a scholarship that I then had to fill out an application for. 

Regardless, past data shows them sending out decisions in March so I think there is still hope. Good luck!

20 hours ago, torchic said:

Haven't heard anything from UCSD, UMD, UChicago. I am ready for their rejects in March :) 

Well same here. The application says Under Review for almost a month now and there are many acceptance posters here..so looks lyk a rejection sadly 

19 hours ago, cabbysaurus said:

Did you get invited to visit? They sent out invitations a few weeks ago to visit earlier this month for North American candidates. I'm not sure if they had anything for international candidates, so I wouldn't worry if that's the case.

BTW, I am the one who posted an admission without an interview. I was unable to attend the visit weekend and was surprised to hear from them so soon based on data from previous years, which show that decisions were all sent out in March. I think maybe I heard from them earlier because they nominated me for a scholarship that I then had to fill out an application for. 

Regardless, past data shows them sending out decisions in March so I think there is still hope. Good luck!

I didn't get a invitation to campus visit, I just tried to convince myself because I've taken a grad level CS class at duke and have a recommendation letter from Duke professor so they think there is no need to do that, lol. 

Thanks for your info!

10 hours ago, there_is_a_so_long_wait said:

guys, is USC R1, R2, or R3?

how to find out?

USC is R1. You have to check the Carnegie Classifications (http://carnegieclassifications.iu.edu/classification_descriptions/basic.php) to figure out where a school is listed.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong though.

On 2/23/2018 at 10:31 AM, brcs said:

USC is R1. You have to check the Carnegie Classifications (http://carnegieclassifications.iu.edu/classification_descriptions/basic.php) to figure out where a school is listed.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong though.

How important do you think is this R1 and R2 thing?

I got admitted into NAU which has a pretty strong Applied Linguistics dept but they are R2,  I also got admitted at ISU where the AL dept is not that strong but they are an R1. I don't know what to take into consideration the department or the whole university.

15 hours ago, there_is_a_so_long_wait said:

thank u for this info.... congratulations UCI is R1 :)

No problem. Thanks and good luck with USC :)

15 hours ago, Larissa Goulart said:

How important do you think is this R1 and R2 thing?

I got admitted into NAU which has a pretty strong Applied Linguistics dept but they are R2,  I also got admitted at ISU where the AL dept is not that strong but they are an R1. I don't know what to take into consideration the department or the whole university.

I'm an international student, so take everything with a grain of salt.

I've read both that it helps a lot and also that it doesn't matter as much (as long as you put in the work).
My personal opinion is that between two people with the same amount of work done, a R1 degree might be the deciding factor. But I personally would go for the stronger department, where the faculty can prepare you better.

14 hours ago, TheStLucas said:

Are you going to attend? What do you mean you haven't received a lot of correspondence from them? Did you get contacted from PhD students there?

Probably not in terms of attending. I just mean like correspondence from students, professors, etc. Haven't received any at all.

7 minutes ago, collegesista said:

Probably not in terms of attending. I just mean like correspondence from students, professors, etc. Haven't received any at all.

Which uni are you going to attend?

Hmmm, that's weird. I've received emails from a prof. and from some students.

17 hours ago, Billiam said:

Does anyone happen to know the timeline on PhD admits at UC Irvine? 

Congrats to everyone and good luck on the rest of your decisions! :)

I got accepted last week, so they might still be making decisions. I don't know for sure though.
They also didn't tell me anything about visits, maybe because I'm international.

4 minutes ago, Besivance said:

Congratulations! 

May I ask when did you apply and receive the admission offer?

Thank you!

I applied December 15th and I received my letter of acceptance on Feb 20. Did you also apply? Are you waiting for an email