Fall 2018 Admission

deleteaccount

3 hours ago, there_is_a_so_long_wait said:

what did they say?

The usual generic rejection mail...they gave a couple of possible reasons - unavailability of funds, unavailability of appropriate faculty, limted spots and so on..the sad or strange thing is my application status has not even changed from submitted to under review in their application portal

9 hours ago, waitingGame2018 said:

the sad or strange thing is my application status has not even changed from submitted to under review in their application portal

One school that I was accepted to kept my status in under review post acceptance. I'm not sure these systems are as together as they should be.

5 hours ago, waitingGame2018 said:

my application status has not even changed from submitted to under review in their application portal

Some of my applications weren’t updated either after I got the rejection emails.

Good luck with your other schools!

I have acceptance to University of Oregon and University of Utah. Now I am trying to decide between the two. I do not know much about the advisors or how they mentor graduate students. What is the best way to reach out to current graduate students? Should I just email them and ask how there experiences are with the advisor?

41 minutes ago, ray92 said:

I have acceptance to University of Oregon and University of Utah. Now I am trying to decide between the two. I do not know much about the advisors or how they mentor graduate students. What is the best way to reach out to current graduate students? Should I just email them and ask how there experiences are with the advisor?

That's definitely the best way to get your questions answered!

For anyone considering applying next year, Emory's graduate program is really nice. I had the pleasure of visiting last week and was impressed. The department is currently combined with Math, but they will be splitting this Fall along with making new offices for the CS department. If you're interested in computational biology research or any research that has applications to medicine and biology, this is definitely the place for you!

1 hour ago, ray92 said:

I second @collegesista‘s opinion.

For one school I contacted students that had their emails on the lab’s website. The other one didn’t have that, so I asked my potential advisor to get me in touch with some students, as I couldn’t even find a list of current students of the program.

Edited by brcs

Hey guys,

I got into UW-Madison and Washington University in St. Louis for PhD in computer science. My area of interest artificial intelligence, machine learning and computer vision. Assuming that I got the same funding, which one would you recommend?

8 minutes ago, keceli said:

Hey guys,

I got into UW-Madison and Washington University in St. Louis for PhD in computer science. My area of interest artificial intelligence, machine learning and computer vision. Assuming that I got the same funding, which one would you recommend?

Definitely UW-Madison first because of ranking. Second, my undergrad advisor went there and she really likes the school.

11 hours ago, keceli said:

Hey guys,

You should go through their faculty to find possible advisors, who have research projects that interest you.

Given that you find people that equally interest you on both schools, I'd go for UW-Madison.

12 hours ago, keceli said:

Hey guys,

Hey,

I'll be attending Washington University in St. Louis. We also have the same interests (except computer vision). Good luck with whichever you choose to attend and congratulations!

2 hours ago, TheStLucas said:

Hey,

I'll be attending Washington University in St. Louis. We also have the same interests (except computer vision). Good luck with whichever you choose to attend and congratulations!

Hey,

Thank you, you too! Were you at the PhD visit weekend at WashU?

3 hours ago, brcs said:

You should go through their faculty to find possible advisors, who have research projects that interest you.

Given that you find people that equally interest you on both schools, I'd go for UW-Madison.

Thanks for the reply. Actually, there are a number of professors at UW-Madison that I am interested in working with whereas there is only one person at WashU that I am barely interested in. The only thing is that UW offers 10k-a-year less of a stipend that WashU since it's a public school and all. But I don't find it important as I am not gonna be doing a PhD for money. Yes, money is important, but not this much. What matters is the quality of research that you can produce. But thanks again!

14 hours ago, torchic said:

Definitely UW-Madison first because of ranking. Second, my undergrad advisor went there and she really likes the school.

Hey!

Yes, I visited the school and loved it! As a separate question from my initial one, how much do you think the ranking matters in CS? To what extent it should be deemed important? (question to everyone)

20 minutes ago, keceli said:

Thanks for the reply. Actually, there are a number of professors at UW-Madison that I am interested in working with whereas there is only one person at WashU that I am barely interested in. The only thing is that UW offers 10k-a-year less of a stipend that WashU since it's a public school and all. But I don't find it important as I am not gonna be doing a PhD for money. Yes, money is important, but not this much. What matters is the quality of research that you can produce. But thanks again!

No problem and congrats btw :)

For what you said, I think UW would be the best choice because of potential advisors. If there’s just one that you’re barely interested in at WashU, then it’ll probably be easier for you to get involved in an interesting project at UW.

You should contact some students to find out how far the stipends go at both places. 10k is a big difference, but I agree with you, it’s fine as long that’s enough to live on.

23 minutes ago, keceli said:

Hey!

Yes, I visited the school and loved it! As a separate question from my initial one, how much do you think the ranking matters in CS? To what extent it should be deemed important? (question to everyone)

I’m not really sure how important it is, although I’m sure it does matter. I believe the most important thing is to be productive throughout the program.

I’m an international student though, others might have a better insight about this.

1 hour ago, keceli said:

Hey,

Thank you, you too! Were you at the PhD visit weekend at WashU?

No, I wasn't as I am an international student and it wasn't easy for me to attend. How was the visit weekend? What's your personal opinion about WashU (from your experience during the visit weekend).

Btw, you are completely right. The research quality AND the supervisor are the most important factors when deciding. The only reason I am attending WashU is because of a specific professor. (ok and maybe the money :p)

1 hour ago, TheStLucas said:

No, I wasn't as I am an international student and it wasn't easy for me to attend. How was the visit weekend? What's your personal opinion about WashU (from your experience during the visit weekend).

Btw, you are completely right. The research quality AND the supervisor are the most important factors when deciding. The only reason I am attending WashU is because of a specific professor. (ok and maybe the money :p)

Hey, it was a great school and department. We got to hang out with CS faculty and current grad students and they were all friendly. What I liked the most was that they all had a good sense of humor. They have happy hours every Friday in the department where they hang out and drink. I was told some faculty even go out to play Trivia with students and all. Assuming that there is a professor/lab that you are interested in working with, it is also fun and enjoyable. I definitely recommend! (and yes the money is off-the-chart. They said it is in the 90th percentile among all private schools in US) 

The only thing that I didn't like is that the city has no public transportation at all. So, you will either get a car or live very close to the campus. (every grad student I got to hang out had a car)

Edited by keceli

1 hour ago, brcs said:

No problem and congrats btw :)

For what you said, I think UW would be the best choice because of potential advisors. If there’s just one that you’re barely interested in at WashU, then it’ll probably be easier for you to get involved in an interesting project at UW.

You should contact some students to find out how far the stipends go at both places. 10k is a big difference, but I agree with you, it’s fine as long that’s enough to live on.

I’m not really sure how important it is, although I’m sure it does matter. I believe the most important thing is to be productive throughout the program.

I’m an international student though, others might have a better insight about this.

Thanks for the congrats and the input! 

15 minutes ago, keceli said:

Hey, it was a great school and department. We got to hang out with CS department and current grad students and they were all friendly. What I liked the most was that they all had a good sense of humor. They have happy hours every Friday in the department where they hang out and drink. I was told some faculty even go out to play Trivia with students and all. Assuming that there is a professor/lab that you are interested in working with, it is also fun and enjoyable. I definitely recommend! (and yes the money is off-the-chart. They said it is in the 90th percentile among all private schools in US) 

The only thing that I didn't like is that the city has no public transportation at all. So, you will either get a car or live very close to the campus. (every grad student I got to hang out had a car)

Thank you, I appreciate the info. You just made my choice a lot easier :)