Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

pinoysoc

2 hours ago, Madelene said:

I want to buy you a drink. I'm serious. Do you have Venmo? You deserve a drink.

LOL thank you so much. I really appreciate it. Right now I'm just watching RuPaul's Drag Race and trying to figure out my options for thesis research. My advisor wants me to have 25 interviews, and I have 2 right now. Was gonna go up to my research site this month and get the rest, but that may not happen now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated though. 

Let this be a lesson for future research projects - try to predict how controversial the issue is that you're researching before you begin the project. It could save you a lot of trouble in the long run. 

Edited by ThePastelCalico
Advice for younger researchers

1 hour ago, SociologyFanatic said:

Anyone willing to claim any of the Minnesota waitlists? 

I’m on Minnesota’s waitlist. The e-mail said they do not have funding and they hope they will get some. It says that before taking any decisión write to them if Minnesota is the first choice. They copied 5 POI in the e-mail, I don’t know why. 

10 minutes ago, tsh05 said:

Nothing yet!

I'm guessing they're going to be my first notification since the deadline was December 1st and every other school I applied to was January 15th or today. The wait is agonizing!!

9 hours ago, Madelene said:

Y'all are gonna kill it! If anyone wants to have a group Skype and vent or just chat about non-Soc things, let me know! I want to know all of you!

I'm hoping. REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, hoping.

I'm seriously having bad anxiety over this. Like a repeat of 5 years ago.

1 hour ago, crimsociol said:

I’m on Minnesota’s waitlist. The e-mail said they do not have funding and they hope they will get some. It says that before taking any decisión write to them if Minnesota is the first choice. They copied 5 POI in the e-mail, I don’t know why. 

So I'm assuming that we're rejected if we haven't been contacted personally?

1 hour ago, Mopar18 said:

I'm guessing they're going to be my first notification since the deadline was December 1st and every other school I applied to was January 15th or today. The wait is agonizing!!

I applied to 4 schools with Dec 1st, three of which have started sending out acceptances...I have received none yet! So I guess those three are gone for me. Waiting on the others! Anxiety, sleeplessness and worry is my favorite hobby these days :(

2 hours ago, ThePastelCalico said:

OL thank you so much. I really appreciate it. Right now I'm just watching RuPaul's Drag Race and trying to figure out my options for thesis research. My advisor wants me to have 25 interviews, and I have 2 right now. Was gonna go up to my research site this month and get the rest, but that may not happen now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated though. 

Okay but for real— what is your Venmo?? PM me.

5 hours ago, capslock said:

Dang y'all. What a wild day on this forum! I got my Duke rejection while laying in bed sick with the flu and something about that just feels...poetic? :-)

"If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will appear to be greater and lesser persons than Yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans."

I apparently ran out of reactions, but I just wanna say that this means a lot to me. I struggled with this a lot in the past and still do sometimes, but remembering that I do have my strengths and achievements helps to keep things in perspective. I'm sorry you had to get that Duke rejection while sick with the flu. I hope you feel better soon. Wish I can send some soup. 

2 hours ago, Mopar18 said:

Anyone hear from Boulder yet?

Nope, not yet. I remember talking to a professor there before though and she said that I should hear from them by February. 

5 hours ago, ThePastelCalico said:

On top of my Madison rejection, my Utah application may not be considered for funding because they're showing that they haven't gotten my GRE scores yet, and my gatekeeper in the field for my thesis work just recused themselves from being a gatekeeper, and i'm supposed to defend my thesis in 2 months. It's been a day. 

2 hours ago, ThePastelCalico said:

Let this be a lesson for future research projects - try to predict how controversial the issue is that you're researching before you begin the project. It could save you a lot of trouble in the long run. 

Ahh I'm sorry you had to go through all of that at once. :( I wish I could offer advice on the project, but I thank you for sharing this lesson. I know I might  dive into some controversial issues and I need to remember to predict how controversial the research is.

5 hours ago, ThePastelCalico said:

On top of my Madison rejection, my Utah application may not be considered for funding because they're showing that they haven't gotten my GRE scores yet, and my gatekeeper in the field for my thesis work just recused themselves from being a gatekeeper, and i'm supposed to defend my thesis in 2 months. It's been a day. 

I'm really sorry that you've had such a tough day. I don't know if you've ever read Irene Bloemraad's article "What Textbooks Don't Tell," but she talks about how an initial supervisory meeting at Harvard (with Skocpol, I assume, although she is not named) made her think that her career as a political sociologist was over before it had begun. She doesn't mention this in the article (talk about what textbooks don't tell) but she apparently started crying as soon as she left the room that day. You will undoubtedly find a way through this problem and produce brilliant research in two months.

1 hour ago, MintChocoChip said:

Nope, not yet. I remember talking to a professor there before though and she said that I should hear from them by February.

Hopefully soon. I swear last night I dreamt I got a rejection email from them ??

2 hours ago, SocCrmmm said:

I have not heard from Boulder, but a scholarship form appeared on my application status page yesterday. Has anyone else gotten this as well?

I saw that on my application page as well. Clicked on it and they send you a username and password but it doesn't look like anything I need to concern myself with. Admittedly, I only spent a quick minute looking at it.

9 minutes ago, KevinJHa said:

Its quiet today...too quiet. I sense a storm is coming.

Not liking the sound that... even though the first full of week is when most schools finish up their rejections & acceptances. I was out by the end of February when I first applied in 2014. 

11 minutes ago, KevinJHa said:

Its quiet today...too quiet. I sense a storm is coming.

Also, the East Coast if supposed get snow... AGAIN. So that might delay news. The Midwest isn't getting as much snow (if any, at all), but fake news global warming is here to stay folks.