Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

pinoysoc

14 hours ago, tsh05 said:

I applied to 4 schools with Dec 1st, three of which have started sending out acceptances...I have received none yet! So I guess those three are gone for me. Waiting on the others! Anxiety, sleeplessness and worry is my favorite hobby these days :(

Amen! I submitted most of mine WAY BEFORE the December 15th deadline. Then I had some that were due on 10th last month and damnn... Lol.

We're all praying & biting our nails!

3 minutes ago, Ana333 said:

Hi guys, I was wondering if anybody had heard from Nova for the PsyD program? I know someone got interview already, please let me know thank you!!

Hi @Ana333, I think you might be in the wrong thread! This is a sociology acceptances/interviews/rejections thread. Are you looking for psychology? :) You can find that here! https://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/8-psychology/

16 minutes ago, pinoysoc said:

Not liking the sound that... even though the first full of week is when most schools finish up their rejections & acceptances. I was out by the end of February when I first applied in 2014. 

Ouch, yeah I have a feeling next week is going to be very tumultuous.

4 minutes ago, Ana333 said:

Hi guys, I was wondering if anybody had heard from Nova for the PsyD program? I know someone got interview already, please let me know thank you!!

You might want to ask the Psychology subforum! This is for Sociology.

I just wanted to shoot everybody some love on here. PLEASE remember how arbitrary these decisions are; I almost didn't apply because frankly it all seems elitist to me. At the end of the day, we are all so much more than what we are on paper--and applications are limited amounts of paper anyway! I hope everybody here gets into ONE awesome program, or gets ONE awesome dream job--just don't give up hope and remember that this stuff is not indicative of your worth. 

I got a phone call from an unknown number today, and thinking it was a school I almost freaked out. Turns out it was my student loan officer reminding me I was past due, to which I vaguely tried to explain I was trying to get into a Ph.D program so I could defer the loan. 

11 minutes ago, latemeg said:

I just wanted to shoot everybody some love on here. PLEASE remember how arbitrary these decisions are; I almost didn't apply because frankly it all seems elitist to me. At the end of the day, we are all so much more than what we are on paper--and applications are limited amounts of paper anyway! I hope everybody here gets into ONE awesome program, or gets ONE awesome dream job--just don't give up hope and remember that this stuff is not indicative of your worth. 

also thank you <3 you are absolutely right and its important to constantly remind yourself of this fact, considering we all put so much stake and meaning into these apps.

3 hours ago, KevinJHa said:

Fridays are so bittersweet now. Yeah its the end of the week but now I know if I don't hear anything today I have to wait the whole weekend for any application news. :(

Yeah I feel you. I got my first rejection at like 6PM on a Friday night, so now I automatically connect late night Friday news with rejections that they just want to send out before the weekend haha

Hi All!

I'm new to the forums, but have admittedly been lurking. Awesome to see how supportive this group is. I have one acceptance so far, UW-Madison, but still waiting to hear from Notre Dame and Johns Hopkins. I've seen nothing but silence from JHU, but I've seen several interviews and an acceptance for ND which is making me anxious. I have slept a grand total of 6 hours in the past 3 days with the anxiety. I hope we all get some news in the next 3 hours. That would be a nice gifts before the weekend hits.

Stay positive!

5 minutes ago, devouee40 said:

Hi All!

I'm new to the forums, but have admittedly been lurking. Awesome to see how supportive this group is. I have one acceptance so far, UW-Madison, but still waiting to hear from Notre Dame and Johns Hopkins. I've seen nothing but silence from JHU, but I've seen several interviews and an acceptance for ND which is making me anxious. I have slept a grand total of 6 hours in the past 3 days with the anxiety. I hope we all get some news in the next 3 hours. That would be a nice gifts before the weekend hits.

Stay positive!

Congrats on the Madison acceptance! Know that if you don't get in anywhere else, that you got into a great program with a great reputation.

9 minutes ago, devouee40 said:

Hi All!

Stay positive!

Surprised to hear you're still this anxious. Wouldn't Wisconsin be your first choice? It's the most reputable school of the three you mentioned (by far probably). I was only able to return to this forum after I received my first offer, since the constant reminders of my applications were driving me nuts. Now I'm much more relaxed though.

1 hour ago, European Lumpi said:

Yeah I feel you. I got my first rejection at like 6PM on a Friday night, so now I automatically connect late night Friday news with rejections that they just want to send out before the weekend haha

Don't give up just yet! Rutgers sent out their acceptance on Sunday morning, so there can be unexpected good news coming up during the weekend ;)

3 minutes ago, X.G said:

Don't give up just yet! Rutgers sent out their acceptance on Sunday morning, so there can be unexpected good news coming up during the weekend ;)

I agree! I got my UC Irvine interview on a Saturday night. 

8 minutes ago, X.G said:

6 minutes ago, HydrangeaJ said:

I agree! I got my UC Irvine interview on a Saturday night. 

Haha they have the professors working weekends for this? Or were those just emails from your POIs informally letting you know?

17 hours ago, pinoysoc said:

So I'm assuming that we're rejected if we haven't been contacted personally?

I don't know, also take into account that I'm an international student, I do not know if that affects "my cost". Also, I have the impression that Minnesota send the results by waves, so maybe I was just waitlisted in the first round.  Do not lose hope!

4 minutes ago, crimsociol said:

I don't know, also take into account that I'm an international student, I do not know if that affects "my cost". Also, I have the impression that Minnesota send the results by waves, so maybe I was just waitlisted in the first round.  Do not lose hope!

I am also an international student, but am fully funded for six years at Irvine. It might be harder to get funding, but it's definitely possible! 

29 minutes ago, ThePastelCalico said:

Congrats on the Madison acceptance! Know that if you don't get in anywhere else, that you got into a great program with a great reputation.

Thank you! I'm nervous about their funding situation and wonder if it will be limiting or if it won't have much of an impact at all in the long run. But I am grateful for the acceptance.

22 minutes ago, European Lumpi said:

Surprised to hear you're still this anxious. Wouldn't Wisconsin be your first choice? It's the most reputable school of the three you mentioned (by far probably). I was only able to return to this forum after I received my first offer, since the constant reminders of my applications were driving me nuts. Now I'm much more relaxed though.

In theory, Wisconsin is my first choice. It would probably make the most sense for my career in the long run.  In practice, not so much. I am already settled in South Bend and ND would not require uprooting myself and my family. It would allow me to balance my goals with my family's a bit more. Also ND is not lacking in resources and the funding situation at Madison makes me nervous. But honestly, I am not well versed in the PhD thing. I'm a first generation college student, almost 10 years removed from college so, I don't have much support in navigating this process.  I have heard a few people say that you go to the best program you get into and Madison is certainly that.

3 minutes ago, KevinJHa said:

Quick question -- has anyone heard of a decision coming out on a weekend? Maybe like an informal email from faculty? Trying to anticipate my mindset this weekend haha

Absolutely! My Rutgers acceptance came at 9 am Sunday!

2 minutes ago, X.G said:

Absolutely! My Rutgers acceptance came at 9 am Sunday!

Jesus okay looks like escapism won't be an option this weekend. Haha thank you, and congrats on that acceptance :)

46 minutes ago, devouee40 said:

Hi All!

Stay positive!

7 minutes ago, devouee40 said:

Thank you! I'm nervous about their funding situation and wonder if it will be limiting or if it won't have much of an impact at all in the long run. But I am grateful for the acceptance.

In theory, Wisconsin is my first choice. It would probably make the most sense for my career in the long run.  In practice, not so much. I am already settled in South Bend and ND would not require uprooting myself and my family. It would allow me to balance my goals with my family's a bit more. Also ND is not lacking in resources and the funding situation at Madison makes me nervous. But honestly, I am not well versed in the PhD thing. I'm a first generation college student, almost 10 years removed from college so, I don't have much support in navigating this process.  I have heard a few people say that you go to the best program you get into and Madison is certainly that.

First of all, congrats! Second with getting a PhD, its more like a courting ritual in some cases. But at the end of the day, there's always that mindset that you're going to have to move to do a PhD program... Of course I'm speaking from experience. I don't have a family that's settled, but my support system is 7,382 miles away from where I got my MA that involves three plane changes and almost a day of travelling.

I personally believe that many people think about the pros and cons of the programs you get into. I also think that the funding issue should be overlooked  until you consider research fit with the department. Sometimes, the 'best' school might not be the best choice for what you want to study.

I'd be glad to help you out and talk if you have any questions or just want to talk.

2 hours ago, latemeg said:

God, I wish this was true! It's really heart-wrenching and heart breaking every time I apply. It dawned on me two Sundays ago that grad school is a form of validation for anyone who chooses to pursue it. But, I do value the learning that comes with it :(

24 minutes ago, devouee40 said:

Funding and family are obviously reasons that should seriously be considered and so are reputation and academic fit. You might want to try and talk to multiple people throughout the decision-making process. While this forum is a place to start, I'd advise you to talk to your letter writers or other academics that you might be able to ask for help. People are generally very supportive and like to share career advice. And your letter writers will be able to judge the situation more clearly and might provide more insight into the effects of limited funding and reputation. Weighing academic fit versus reputation is another difficult issue, for which people have very different approaches...

8 hours ago, SocCrmmm said:

I have not heard from Boulder, but a scholarship form appeared on my application status page yesterday. Has anyone else gotten this as well?

5 hours ago, Mopar18 said:

I saw that on my application page as well. Clicked on it and they send you a username and password but it doesn't look like anything I need to concern myself with. Admittedly, I only spent a quick minute looking at it.

Yeah I saw that as well. I made an account and started filling it but then stopped after I saw the rest of the questions required slightly more detailed responses. I think the website said our applications wouldn't be affected if we don't fill it, but I have no idea whether this affects funding or not. It seems to be for undergrads too.

55 minutes ago, KevinJHa said:

Quick question -- has anyone heard of a decision coming out on a weekend? Maybe like an informal email from faculty? Trying to anticipate my mindset this weekend haha

I got my Rutgers acceptance Saturday night from the graduate program director, so yup they can come out on a weekend night. I'm also in the same time zone as Rutgers to give more context.

1 hour ago, devouee40 said:

Hi All!

Stay positive!

Congrats on UW-Madison! I hope you get to hear from the rest of your schools.