Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

pinoysoc

I got accepted to the New School without funding. I didn’t apply to schools outside NYC because I can’t relocate due to personal reasons. There’s no way I’ll get into NYU or Columbia. It’s time for me to start looking for a job while writing my master’s thesis. 

Best of luck, everyone!

20 hours ago, latemeg said:

Congratulations <3 I hope you choose the program of your dreams!

Thank you! I hope you get to hear some good news too! 

6 hours ago, qualsoc2018 said:

Yeah, and my fit at the "higher ranked" schools I feel was better than my fit at UT anyway, but still...I guess I'm nervous because my application isn't perfect (GRE scores are average and my quant score is on the low side, my UG GPA is mediocre and I have a graduate coursework GPA that's the equivalent of 3.9-4.0 but it's from coursework I did abroad in a non-English speaking country in the native language (I'm an American) so I have no clue how adcomms will see that), I'm switching disciplines (from sociocultural anthropology to sociology) and I want to focus on ethnography/qualitative methods (which isn't that popular in sociology as far as I can tell)...but like you said, anything could happen, and I hope that I get some good news and that I don't get shut out of all 7 programs that I applied to

I'm also switching disciplines but from a health profession to sociology (concentrating on medical sociology though). I was also nervous wondering how they would take that into account so I was shocked when I got the acceptances. I think since your background is similar to what you want to do that can actually be an advantage for your application. I wish you the best for the rest of the programs you applied to!

5 hours ago, KevinJHa said:

Just got invited to Northeastern open house next week via email! Northeastern was my last choice but I'm just happy I got something!!!!!!!

YES!! Congrats! I'm so happy for you! :D Enjoy Northeastern and Boston! I wish you the best.

46 minutes ago, coffeentv said:

I got accepted to the New School without funding. I didn’t apply to schools outside NYC because I can’t relocate due to personal reasons. There’s no way I’ll get into NYU or Columbia. It’s time for me to start looking for a job while writing my master’s thesis. 

Best of luck, everyone!

Ah I'm sorry to hear that. I would still wait and see what NYU and Columbia say if you didn't get anything yet, but I wish you luck with the job search and master's thesis. 

Also forgot to mention, congrats to the Indiana Bloomington, CUNY, UCSC, and Rice interviews, the U of Toronto acceptances, and the UCLA acceptance!

Edited by MintChocoChip
forgot to mention congratulations

11 hours ago, KevinJHa said:

Just got invited to Northeastern open house next week via email! Northeastern was my last choice but I'm just happy I got something!!!!!!!

Congrats Kevin!!! I applied to Northeastern as well, but for Counseling Psychology. I've never been, so let me know what its like if you remember!!!! Good luck, you'll do great!

20 hours ago, abenz said:

Hey, I'm sorry you haven't heard back from Temple yet - I'm still waiting on Emory to let me know about their recruitment weekend so I appreciate how hard the waiting period is! One thing I have noticed from the results page is that the UNC Chapel Hill results began coming out on 11th January and are still coming out! So it seems pretty clear to me that there are sometimes huge delays in responding to candidates, and just because one person found out already, doesn't mean you won't! Your POI might be out sick, the department is releasing admittances to related groups of students first (like people in the crime field, then people in health, etc), or they're just still deciding on the final candidates. It could be anything, and one admittance doesn't mean you're not in :)

Thank you Abenz! I called today (i couldn't help it) and told the admissions coordinator who we know each other on a first name basis at this point :lol: that I saw someone post on a forum that I follow about their acceptance and was feeling discouraged and was seeing if there are any updates on my app. She said no, just that it was complete, and try not to worry because just because they are accepted doesn't mean they will actually agree to attend Temple (what?!-not sure how to take that). She said she has my fingers crossed for me. I was almost crying on the phone bc of my horrible day at work and that was why I called, I must get into this program!! Thank you for your always being so positive and helpful, I appreciate you more then you know!!!

48 minutes ago, carolynb said:

Congrats Kevin!!! I applied to Northeastern as well, but for Counseling Psychology. I've never been, so let me know what its like if you remember!!!! Good luck, you'll do great!

Thanks so much for the kind words <3 Yeah absolutely I will!!!! 

4 minutes ago, Dark Chocolate Mocha said:

Is there anyone here who applied to the Neuroscience and Cognitive Science program (NACS) at the University of Maryland, College Park? According to the results page, a couple of people have been interviewed starting from mid-December. Starting from January 22 or so, some people have also received notices to check the application portal, and saw that they had been rejected. In my case, I haven't been contacted by any of my POIs for an interview, so I don't have great hopes about admission,

Hi! Good to see a new person around here. Just fyi, we're all sociologists (you're in the sociology forum :)) so you might find more advice on the Neuroscience board? I haven't applied to UMDCP so I can't advise on whether their sociology program has released acceptances yet either. Good luck!

3 minutes ago, abenz said:

Hi! Good to see a new person around here. Just fyi, we're all sociologists (you're in the sociology forum :)) so you might find more advice on the Neuroscience board? I haven't applied to UMDCP so I can't advise on whether their sociology program has released acceptances yet either. Good luck!

Oh, I am awfully sorry about this. I am very new to the forum, so I didn't check where the thread was located, I guess. Thanks for informing me about this :)

3 minutes ago, Dark Chocolate Mocha said:

Oh, I am awfully sorry about this. I am very new to the forum, so I didn't check where the thread was located, I guess. Thanks for informing me about this :)

No problem, obviously I am sure we would all love to help you! but we are probably not the most helpful people to do so :P 

2 hours ago, abenz said:

I had some good news this morning! I got my dream job working as a researcher for a huge social research company. At least if I don’t get any offers I have a damned good back up plan :D

Haha hell yeah!!! Congrats!! Always nice to have something to fall back onto. Good planning :)

2 hours ago, crimsociol said:

Have you guys heard something from Minnesota?

Nope. I'm waiting still. Been checking their portal and still says "Awaiting Program Decision."

On another note, I'm restraining myself from being extra from all acceptances and here I am waiting for the rest of the rejections at this point. 

also, congrats @KevinJHa!

At least you got an invite! Can't wait to hear what happens. As for me, I'm just waiting for the rejections so that I can get off grad cafe and not come back again for the next application cycle. It seems staying off these forums is a good luck charm of getting in! HAHAHAHAHAHA.

2 hours ago, crimsociol said:

Have you guys heard something from Minnesota?

Someone just posted an acceptance through e-mail. Now, I'm sweating but it's probably a rejection for me. 

6 minutes ago, pinoysoc said:

also, congrats @KevinJHa!

At least you got an invite! Can't wait to hear what happens. As for me, I'm just waiting for the rejections so that I can get off grad cafe and not come back again for the next application cycle. It seems staying off these forums is a good luck charm of getting in! HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Thanks so much @pinoysoc <3 I appreciate your support.

Hey don't give up just yet, you only heard back from one school no? I'm seriously rooting for you still!

48 minutes ago, pinoysoc said:

Someone just posted an acceptance through e-mail. Now, I'm sweating but it's probably a rejection for me. 

I just saw the acceptance on the board. Let's wait and see, fingers cross we will get good news soon :)!

9 hours ago, socihk said:

Anyone wanna claim the U of Toronto acceptance?

I applied to U of T too. I'm freaking out right now I still got nothing.

The acceptance on the board is not mine, but I got mine yesterday by e-mail. The e-mail said they will send soon funding information, etc. It just said to save the date March 9 to attend the open house. Hope you get good news soon!

2 hours ago, qeta said:

I got into Cornell Developmental Sociology!!! I can't believe this is real! I had to have my partner read the email to confirm, but it's true.

OMG!!! Congrats, that's incredible!

Does anyone know if decisions for the sociology PhD program at Cornell are released at the same time as the developmental?