Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

pinoysoc

Hey team, just had my first (admittedly implied) rejection. Indiana Bloomington sent out its Gender Studies acceptances on 19th Jan and its waitlist emails went out on 23rd Jan. I’ve just found out and checked my emails and portal again, and I’m still just submitted, which makes me think it’s a rejection. It definitely wasn’t my first choice ... but it still sucks, especially as I thought I had the grades and fit to get in. Kind words appreciated!

3 hours ago, abenz said:

Hey team, just had my first (admittedly implied) rejection. Indiana Bloomington sent out its Gender Studies acceptances on 19th Jan and its waitlist emails went out on 23rd Jan. I’ve just found out and checked my emails and portal again, and I’m still just submitted, which makes me think it’s a rejection. It definitely wasn’t my first choice ... but it still sucks, especially as I thought I had the grades and fit to get in. Kind words appreciated!

I'm sorry! :( You have five more schools, so hold out hope for an acceptance from somebody else higher on your list. These T30 schools are hard as fuck to get into and the process gets pretty random. 

7 hours ago, abenz said:

Hi @abenz, an implied rejection is not a rejection though. Plus, you still have other schools to hear back from. Don't lose hope - you only need one admit.

43 minutes ago, soc4315 said:

Anyone want to claim the Berkeley acceptance?

It seems to be @academicirl or their fellow summer fellow at Princeton? Whoever it is, congrats are in order!

Edited by qeta

I didn't post on the results board but I'm another Berkeley acceptance. I don't think folks should be worried just yet because I received a call at 430 PT on Fri from the chair of the admissions committee, so I imagine more will be rolling in over the next week...which will also hopefully be the case with Stanford...   

2 hours ago, tsh05 said:

Now am freaking out. Both Ohio and Berkeley have sent out acceptances and I haven’t heard from either. Assume the worst?

Berkeley acceptances aren't all out yet. Don't lose hope.

Edited by qeta

On 1/26/2018 at 9:32 AM, Goldie said:

I think everyone should keep in mind that a lot of the strongest candidates will be admitted to multiple programs, but they can only pick one!

Can't stress this enough! I have 6 acceptances already, and am still waiting to hear back from several more. I miscalculated my odds, and probably applied to too many schools ... Only mention this because I don't think that silence at this point is anything to worry about - there's still so much shuffling that will happen as decisions come out. Looking forward to seeing those who are still waiting in silence get that first acceptance! (and in terms of tying up spots, I'll try to reject in a timely manner I promise)

7 hours ago, goldsoundz said:

I didn't post on the results board but I'm another Berkeley acceptance. I don't think folks should be worried just yet because I received a call at 430 PT on Fri from the chair of the admissions committee, so I imagine more will be rolling in over the next week...which will also hopefully be the case with Stanford...   

This sort of thing cracks me up! Don't professors know we are all on tenderhooks? If I'm ever fortunate enough to be on an adcomm, I will probably just do a conference call with all attendees to make sure everyone finds out at the same time :D Congrats to the two admits so far, hear's hoping that everyone on this board gets some good news soon.

Also, thanks @qeta and @latemeg for your support - much appreciated. 

4 hours ago, tylermcd said:

Can't stress this enough! I have 6 acceptances already, and am still waiting to hear back from several more. I miscalculated my odds, and probably applied to too many schools ... Only mention this because I don't think that silence at this point is anything to worry about - there's still so much shuffling that will happen as decisions come out. Looking forward to seeing those who are still waiting in silence get that first acceptance! (and in terms of tying up spots, I'll try to reject in a timely manner I promise)

Do you mind sharing the names of the 6 schools? I think Penn and Irvine are two..

16 hours ago, Valerian said:

Are any of the other Stanford admits willing to share the first paragraph of their admittance letter? I'm curious to see if they all say the same thing. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it publicly, though. 

Congrats on those Stanford Admits. I second @Valerian ! I would love to hear what standford says! 

Feel free to PM me as well if you're keen on sharing!

6 hours ago, soc4315 said:

Congrats! I was accepted about two weeks ago. Are you going to the open house?

Awesome! Congrats to you too! I am! Can you PM me your social media info? Would love to connect! 

4 minutes ago, Puncherkid said:

Hi! Just got an email from Duke saying that the decision on my application is made, but I could log in to their self-service center... anyone got news from Duke?

Got mine form Duke. I got rejected. It's a generic e-mail for me. hopefully you have better luck!

20 hours ago, -0-0-0-0- said:

Got into Rutgers but waitlisted for funding. Anyone with a funded offer please let them know ASAP if you are not going. I'd really appreciate it!

Congrats--I hope you get a spot for funding ASAP!

1 hour ago, pinoysoc said:

Got mine form Duke. I got rejected. It's a generic e-mail for me. hopefully you have better luck!

Noooo :( I'm sorry. Hang in there. So many decisions aren't even out yet. 

Guys, I need some news!!!!! Can we get UPenn/UWM/UMichigan/Northwestern/IUB to hurry up, and can we get UChicago to reject me already so I have one less portal to check?

Got admitted to FSU measurement and stats PhD program :) Nominated for fellowship. 

Question: if you are nominated for fellowship, does it imply that you will get the fellowship? If you didn't get it, how will you be funded?

10 minutes ago, latemeg said:

can we get UChicago to reject me already so I have one less portal to check?

I’ve been thinking the same thing, and Texas as well. It’s super annoying thinking you’re rejected but holding out that last bit of hope.