Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

pinoysoc

3 hours ago, socihk said:

Some of my colleagues have received interview invitations in these few days, and I still got nothing (though they are not applying to sociology programs).

I feel so bad right now.:(

Hang in there socihk. Am anxious as well but am sure something good will come along. It’s going to be a mixed bag! ??

@michelle2424 Notre Dame is a competitive department, although it is more competitive in some areas (social movements, education) than other areas. It's not T30, but the funding makes up for that in my opinion.

Are you going to visit? What's your background/area of interest, if you don't mind me asking?

Hi @yeez. Yes, I'm going to visit in February. My interest is primarily in culture/ social movements. I have a 3.9 GPA and 162 V/ 153 Q/ 6.0 AW. (My quant score might be my downfall).

I agree that full funding would make up for the ranking. However, do you think that candidates from T30 schools are much better placed to receive job offers down the road?

Did you apply to ND? What's your area of interest? 

21 minutes ago, ThePastelCalico said:

Just got notified that I'm accepted and fully funded at North Carolina State! I'm so excited that I finally got in somewhere! 

Congrats! Glad to hear of your success :) I’m an intl student so don’t know much about NCS but I hope it’s somewhere you’re happy with!

I was actually logging in to ask again if anyone has heard from Emory? I’m now really paranoid that they’ve sent out invites and just no one has posted it on this forum :( This application cycle has turned from positive to negative so quickly this week, I feel so uncertain about everything and really nervous I just won’t get in anywhere. 

I can claim one of the acceptances for NC State. I'm applying straight out of undergrad with (hopefully) a degree in Sociology and Psychology and a minor in Leadership. My undergrad GPA is only 3.10, but I have a junior/senior GPA of 3.73. GRE was 166V/157Q/4.5AW. I come from a small liberal arts college and have moderate research experience with no publications, 1 for sure and 1 possible conference presentation. I'd be happy to answer questions if anyone has any!

41 minutes ago, R1001 said:

I can claim one of the acceptances for NC State. I'm applying straight out of undergrad with (hopefully) a degree in Sociology and Psychology and a minor in Leadership. My undergrad GPA is only 3.10, but I have a junior/senior GPA of 3.73. GRE was 166V/157Q/4.5AW. I come from a small liberal arts college and have moderate research experience with no publications, 1 for sure and 1 possible conference presentation. I'd be happy to answer questions if anyone has any!

Congrats on the acceptance! What area did you want to focus on? I said Ag and Environment on my app. 

1 hour ago, abenz said:

Congrats! Glad to hear of your success :) I’m an intl student so don’t know much about NCS but I hope it’s somewhere you’re happy with!

Thank you! It’s not my top choice but it’s  a solid program for me to study environmental justice in rural communities, so I’m excited for the acceptance and 4 years of funding! 

@michelle2424 Yes, I'll be there in February also! We have similar interests! Are you applying as an undergrad?

I know tenured faculty members that got their PhDs at ND, so it is definitely possible to get a job with an ND degree. The general rule of thumb is that you are competitive for jobs at schools that are less prestigious than the one that you graduated from. You will be less competitive for jobs at T30 schools than T30 grads, but should still be competitive overall. Of course your own research/publications can make you more competitive on the job market.

8 hours ago, ThePastelCalico said:

Congrats on the acceptance! What area did you want to focus on? I said Ag and Environment on my app. 

Congrats to you too! I said Crime, Law, and Social Control. I’m interested in looking at the intersection of race and mental health status in the criminal justice system. What are your research interests?

Congrats to all the acceptances!

I'm already in survival mode and planning to retake the GRE in May. I thought this time, I was going to be more confident, but my abysmal GRE scores is making my anxiety run high. I haven't heard from any schools yet; however after comparing my 146/144/3.5  to everyone else's scores, I'm not that confident that I'll be getting in this year 

: (

3 hours ago, pinoysoc said:

Congrats to all the acceptances!

I'm already in survival mode and planning to retake the GRE in May. I thought this time, I was going to be more confident, but my abysmal GRE scores is making my anxiety run high. I haven't heard from any schools yet; however after comparing my 146/144/3.5  to everyone else's scores, I'm not that confident that I'll be getting in this year 

: (

Have you considered any prep courses? I know they can be expensive though =/

Also, I understand you going in survival mode but you never know!

Edited by KevinJHa

For GRE prep, I recommend Magoosh (though be forewarned, the math problems on Magoosh are much more involved than the ones on the actual test, though I guess it's good practice in that sense)--a 6 month subscription costed like $140 for me and I didn't even end up using it for the entire 6 months (as I started intensively studying around 3 months before the test). The ETS PowerPrep practice tests are also great, as they are very similar to the real test (though I scored a few points higher in each section on the practice test that I took the day before the real test, but I guess I can chalk that up to test anxiety). When I started studying, my quant score was in the lower 140s, and with a combo of Magoosh and PowerPrep, I managed to pull it up to exactly 150 on test day (I probably could've pulled it up more if I had the time to study even more than I already was, i.e. wasn't working full time).

Just a PSA: I tracked last years notification dates for my programs. Maybe you could do the same for others. Hope it helps with the anxiety!

Berkeley Jan-24
Stanford Jan-31
Irvine Feb-1
Maryland Feb-7
Duke Feb-7
Yale Feb-10
Columbia Feb-11
NYU Feb-12
Harvard Feb-14
San Diego Feb-16
Princeton Feb-23

Good luck everyone! Congrats to everyone already admitted!

23 minutes ago, Inti said:

Just a PSA: I tracked last years notification dates for my programs. Maybe you could do the same for others. Hope it helps with the anxiety!

Berkeley Jan-24
Stanford Jan-31
Irvine Feb-1
Maryland Feb-7
Duke Feb-7
Yale Feb-10
Columbia Feb-11
NYU Feb-12
Harvard Feb-14
San Diego Feb-16
Princeton Feb-23

Good luck everyone! Congrats to everyone already admitted!

Thanks for posting this! I applied to a few of the same programs as you (Berkeley, Irvine and San Diego) and this gives me hope about Irvine (that they're not done interviewing/accepting people), because all I've heard on my end from them is radio silence, despite the many interviews and acceptances posted here. 

Edited by qualsoc2018

49 minutes ago, qualsoc2018 said:

Thanks for posting this! I applied to a few of the same programs as you (Berkeley, Irvine and San Diego) and this gives me hope about Irvine (that they're not done interviewing/accepting people), because all I've heard on my end from them is radio silence, despite the many interviews and acceptances posted here. 

I'll be the first to say that these are only "guestimates": notification dates do vary year to year, as application submission dates do.

4 minutes ago, soc4315 said:

For those that have been accepted so far, how long did you have to wait until you got information on funding? For one program, I received it with my acceptance, but the other, I have still heard nothing about funding. 

Both of mine so far I’ve heard about funding right away. Also, I can claim the Kent State acceptance and UTK interview.