Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

pinoysoc

Hey guys sorry to bring up Emory AGAIN but having stalked their social media, a storm in Atlanta has closed the university til Friday. Hoping for some news then. Could also affect other Atlanta universities too, I’m guessing?

31 minutes ago, soc4315 said:

Thank you! Yeah, I received the letter a few hours after the phone call and was invited to their visit weekend in late February. They're still sending out interview requests, so be on the lookout! 

Ah no worries! I haven’t applied but am always curious about interview conversion rates! Someone on the forum last year said that interviews (and especially interview weekends) are usually a good sign you’ve got it, unless you really can’t talk about your work or are just a terrible person. But not sure if that’s actually true :)

1 hour ago, pinoysoc said:

There's another Rutgers interview where the student is on the shortlist? Who are you!?!? Lol.

Congratulations! Can't wait to hear the good news!

I claim the Rutgers interview. So excited!

3 hours ago, abenz said:

Ah no worries! I haven’t applied but am always curious about interview conversion rates! Someone on the forum last year said that interviews (and especially interview weekends) are usually a good sign you’ve got it, unless you really can’t talk about your work or are just a terrible person. But not sure if that’s actually true :)

I tend to believe that interviews serve more of a symbolic purpose --- when I interviewed with Chicago, it was basically the professor asking me if I had any question about their department. 

Edited by X.G

15 minutes ago, X.G said:

I tend to believe that interviews serve more of a symbolic purpose --- when I interviewed with Chicago, it was basically the professor asking me if I have any question about their department. 

Same here, I claim the other Chicago interview. Though I heard from my POI that they are interviewing 40+ and admitting 20+. But I don't really get the point of the interview since they were just asking the standard  questions, which makes me wonder about what they are trying to achieve........

Edited by Lemontea45

23 minutes ago, Lemontea45 said:

Same here, I claim the other Chicago interview. Though I heard from my POI that they are interviewing 40+ and admitting 20+. But I don't really get the point of the interview since they were just asking the standard  questions, which makes me wonder about what they are trying to achieve........

Did you get a second interview request from a different professor at Chicago? I received a request from a different professor even prior to when I had the first interview, which was very confusing. 

Edited by X.G

27 minutes ago, socihk said:

Congrats to the UCSB acceptance!

Anyone wanna claim it?

That was me! I'm really excited about moving there!

I'm still waiting responses from UCLA* and UW-Madison, but I must say it will be tough to choose between programs in case I receive other offers. Even though UCSB doesn't rank as high as the other two programs, I had a very good impression from the faculty member I hope to work with.

*A couple of students were already admitted into the UCLA program, and I haven't heard from them yet; wonder if I had any chances.

1 hour ago, A.Buscariolli said:

That was me! I'm really excited about moving there!

I'm still waiting responses from UCLA* and UW-Madison, but I must say it will be tough to choose between programs in case I receive other offers. Even though UCSB doesn't rank as high as the other two programs, I had a very good impression from the faculty member I hope to work with.

*A couple of students were already admitted into the UCLA program, and I haven't heard from them yet; wonder if I had any chances.

Congratulations! Really happy for you!

7 hours ago, Lemontea45 said:

Yes, I got the second interview from a different professor and even prior to the first interview. I guess it is routine for them to send out two interviews.

That's so awesome! What's the process like? I've never had to interview except for my MA.

On 1/16/2018 at 2:47 PM, pinoysoc said:

Congrats to the two UCSF interviews! Anyone claiming them?

I can claim one of the UCSF interviews though they actually conduct two for each student so technically I have 2 interviews from them.

On 1/18/2018 at 10:14 AM, pinoysoc said:

There's another Rutgers interview where the student is on the shortlist? Who are you!?!? Lol.

Congratulations! Can't wait to hear the good news!

23 hours ago, X.G said:

I tend to believe that interviews serve more of a symbolic purpose --- when I interviewed with Chicago, it was basically the professor asking me if I had any question about their department. 

I got a Rutgers interview too! I hope yours goes/went well @X.G! 

Congrats to more interviews and acceptances! This board just gets more and more exciting everyday. I'm rooting for you all! 

5 hours ago, pinoysoc said:

That's so awesome! What's the process like? I've never had to interview except for my MA.

The questions that they covered were basically like: why our program, what is significant about your project, what do you intend to do once in our program, and some follow up questions based on your answers. And after that, you get to have time to ask them questions. 

Congrats to the Penn State, UCLA & Irvine acceptances. Care to claim them?

To the Penn State admit, who called you? I'm a bit freaking out at the moment since I applied there as well and finished it in November.

*WELP* *WELP*

On 1/19/2018 at 8:04 AM, pinoysoc said:

Also, for those accepted, would you mind giving us your background? Totally optional, but might help ease everyone else's nerves!

Seconded; I'd love to hear what kind of stats are getting acceptances this early! 

Hi all,

Long-time lurker coming out of the shadows. Thanks for everyone who's kept this discussion rolling so far.

I can claim the Penn State/Irvine acceptances! For PSU, I received an email from a professor of interest asking to chat briefly, and was informed over the phone that I'd been accepted. I believe that they offered a first year fellowship, but I haven't received the official acceptance yet. My guess is that Penn State still has lots of offers to send out, since it's only 10 days after their deadline.

Happy to provide a little about my background: Undergrad state public institution, Math & Soc double major, 3.9 GPA, 167 V/170 Q/5.5 AW,  2 years undergrad and non-profit research experience, but no publications. 

Especially curious to hear from UCLA admits! Best of luck to everyone else! :)

1 hour ago, tylermcd said:

Hi all,

Long-time lurker coming out of the shadows. Thanks for everyone who's kept this discussion rolling so far.

I can claim the Penn State/Irvine acceptances! For PSU, I received an email from a professor of interest asking to chat briefly, and was informed over the phone that I'd been accepted. I believe that they offered a first year fellowship, but I haven't received the official acceptance yet. My guess is that Penn State still has lots of offers to send out, since it's only 10 days after their deadline.

Happy to provide a little about my background: Undergrad state public institution, Math & Soc double major, 3.9 GPA, 167 V/170 Q/5.5 AW,  2 years undergrad and non-profit research experience, but no publications. 

Especially curious to hear from UCLA admits! Best of luck to everyone else! :)

You KILLED the GRE! Wow, congratulations. That's awesome. Hope you pick the department of your dreams!