Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

pinoysoc

19 minutes ago, 2733amh said:

Also took a hit from Duke this morning. Nothing like starting off Monday morning with a rejection lol

LMAO start the week off right!

Sorry to hear that though.

28 minutes ago, 2733amh said:

Also took a hit from Duke this morning. Nothing like starting off Monday morning with a rejection lol

I love it. 

*can you feel the sarcasm in the air*

1 hour ago, latemeg said:

Noooo :( I'm sorry. Hang in there. So many decisions aren't even out yet.

Thanks. It's hard to be positive for others when personally, you get hit like this.

I personally just want to know if I have to reapply or not and re-evaluate life.

1 hour ago, latemeg said:

can we get UChicago to reject me already so I have one less portal to check?

I haven’t been checking portals at all; I assumed I would get an email if anything was decided. Has anyone received notification of a decision only by checking the portals?

Haha, something else to obsess over ?

6 minutes ago, Goldie said:

I haven’t been checking portals at all; I assumed I would get an email if anything was decided. Has anyone received notification of a decision only by checking the portals?

Haha, something else to obsess over ?

I just received a rejection from Texas by the website. No email.

A CUNY interview update. They can only fully fund 8 students and accept 7 more with a tuition waiver. I was asked if I’d be willing to attend without a fellowship. I don’t think I can do that. I hope they give my spot to someone soon.

Edited by coffeentv

4 minutes ago, coffeentv said:

A CUNY interview update. They can only fully fund 8 students and accept 7 more with a tuition waiver. I was asked if I’d be willing attend without a fellowship. I don’t think I can do that. I hope they give my spot to someone soon.

Whoa, that's intense. But welp, gonna cross CUNY off my list, since I can't attend any program if I'm not fully funded (and I've yet to be contacted by them or anyone else for that matter). 

3 minutes ago, coffeentv said:

A CUNY interview update. They can only fully fund 8 students and accept 7 more with a tuition waiver. I was asked if I’d be willing attend without a fellowship. I don’t think I can do that. I hope they give my spot to someone soon.

I'm sorry to hear that. The tuition-only fellowship is so terrible and I don't understand how they can expect people to fund their own Ph.Ds.

I'm desperately waiting for a CUNY decision, hopefully with a fellowship. 8 students is nothing...

Who did you meet with? Did they tell you more about when these decisions are expected to be released?

16 minutes ago, coffeentv said:

Wait, did you reject the offer? I'd suggest waiting to see if they move you into a funded spot.

5 hours ago, pinoysoc said:

Got mine form Duke. I got rejected. It's a generic e-mail for me. hopefully you have better luck!

2 hours ago, 2733amh said:

Man I'm sorry guys. :( I saw the string of Duke rejections and just couldn't believe it. Hang in there! We're still in January and April is more than 2 months away. That means there's still more time for that acceptance!

1 hour ago, abenz said:

Anyone heard from Berkeley this morning? I suppose its still early, but it's evening for me now :)

I saw another acceptance posted in the results recently. 

22 minutes ago, soc4315 said:

Just found out I was accepted to University of Iowa with five years of funding! 

Congrats!! :) I found out today too that I was accepted to U of Iowa with five years of funding.

Last week and today have been nuts for me as I found out that I was accepted to UNM, Rutgers, and U of Iowa. All of them with funding packages. I honestly can't believe it and I'm wondering whether I'm dreaming.

I'm really really hoping everyone else gets accepted somewhere because I want you guys to be able to experience the way that I am feeling right now: happy, relieved and just grateful all around. We're still in January and February is on the way! Hang in there everyone!

Rejection from Duke and waitlisted for Iowa. I feel disappointed that I didn't get an offer from Iowa, as this is my undergraduate institution and I earned a 4.02 GPA, spoke at commencement, work at campus research centers, and am highly involved in the Iowa City community. Trying to not take it personally, but I'm kind of freaking out now because Iowa was the lowest ranked school I applied to. So to not get accepted here makes me really scared to my chances at other schools.

3 minutes ago, wildflower21 said:

Rejection from Duke and waitlisted for Iowa. I feel disappointed that I didn't get an offer from Iowa, as this is my undergraduate institution and I earned a 4.02 GPA, spoke at commencement, work at campus research centers, and am highly involved in the Iowa City community. Trying to not take it personally, but I'm kind of freaking out now because Iowa was the lowest ranked school I applied to. So to not get accepted here makes me really scared to my chances at other schools.

I would try not to worry about a waitlist from Iowa. Typically programs don't want you to pursue a graduate degree from the same institution as this hurts you on the job market and the academic job market. They may have reached the decision to waitlist you based on this rather than your credentials. 

I'm sorry to hear this though =[ Hope you have better luck soon. 

5 minutes ago, MintChocoChip said:

Congrats!! :) I found out today too that I was accepted to U of Iowa with five years of funding.

Last week and today have been nuts for me as I found out that I was accepted to UNM, Rutgers, and U of Iowa. All of them with funding packages. I honestly can't believe it and I'm wondering whether I'm dreaming.

I'm really really hoping everyone else gets accepted somewhere because I want you guys to be able to experience the way that I am feeling right now: happy, relieved and just grateful all around. We're still in January and February is on the way! Hang in there everyone!

JESUS you must be having the time of your life HAHAHA. If I got those acceptances all with funding I wouldn't know what to do. 

3 minutes ago, KevinJHa said:

I would try not to worry about a waitlist from Iowa. Typically programs don't want you to pursue a graduate degree from the same institution as this hurts you on the job market and the academic job market. They may have reached the decision to waitlist you based on this rather than your credentials. 

I'm sorry to hear this though =[ Hope you have better luck soon. 

Okay, yeah Iowa isn't my top choice because of this and I totally understand that line of thinking. Thanks, I just am a little more nervous now than before as I thought Iowa would be the smoothest to get into due to my history here. But, as you said, that may be that weakness for the application. 

9 minutes ago, wildflower21 said:

I've also heard that sometimes schools reject or waitlist because they think the applicant would go to other schools and reject them so you might actually have better chances at your other schools. I'll be keeping you in mind as I weigh my decision. 

6 minutes ago, KevinJHa said:

JESUS you must be having the time of your life HAHAHA. If I got those acceptances all with funding I wouldn't know what to do. 

You have no idea! I was already happy just receiving the first acceptance since it meant I was officially going to grad school even if I got rejected from the other programs. Then the other two acceptances came in and I just went bananas. I'm really trying to weigh my options while keeping in mind fit, funding, and other things. I want to give myself time to think while respecting the time of the universities and the other applicants. 

I already deactivated my Facebook. About to delete the social media apps on my phone. I just can't. I'm in no mood to argue with my mom trying to explain why it hurts. Or why it's hard to accept the "Maybe it's not time" speech.

Going to re-think life. 

1 hour ago, MintChocoChip said:

Man I'm sorry guys. :( I saw the string of Duke rejections and just couldn't believe it. Hang in there! We're still in January and April is more than 2 months away. That means there's still more time for that acceptance!

I saw another acceptance posted in the results recently. 

Congrats on the acceptances!