Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

pinoysoc

7 minutes ago, MintChocoChip said:

You have no idea! I was already happy just receiving the first acceptance since it meant I was officially going to grad school even if I got rejected from the other programs. Then the other two acceptances came in and I just went bananas. I'm really trying to weigh my options while keeping in mind fit, funding, and other things. I want to give myself time to think while respecting the time of the universities and the other applicants. 

Im happy for you :) youre in most of our dream positions hahaha.

"Going bananas" would be my reaction as well.

4 minutes ago, MintChocoChip said:

I've also heard that sometimes schools reject or waitlist because they think the applicant would go to other schools and reject them so you might actually have better chances at your other schools. I'll be keeping you in mind as I weigh my decision. 

Yeah that's a nice thought to keep in mind, thank you. And congratulations on the acceptances so far, celebrate and enjoy your accomplishments! Iowa City is diverse (well as diverse as Iowa can get....), energetic, fun, and great academically. Very community oriented, college town, progressive, and super nice open people :) 

9 minutes ago, pinoysoc said:

Congrats on the acceptances!

8 minutes ago, KevinJHa said:

Im happy for you :) youre in most of our dream positions hahaha.

"Going bananas" would be my reaction as well.

8 minutes ago, wildflower21 said:

Yeah that's a nice thought to keep in mind, thank you. And congratulations on the acceptances so far, celebrate and enjoy your accomplishments! Iowa City is diverse (well as diverse as Iowa can get....), energetic, fun, and great academically. Very community oriented, college town, progressive, and super nice open people :) 

Thanks everyone! And thank you for the summary of Iowa City @wildflower21. It's nice to get the perspective of someone native to the community. It sounds like a cool place to be in!

49 minutes ago, MintChocoChip said:

Congrats!! :) I found out today too that I was accepted to U of Iowa with five years of funding.

Last week and today have been nuts for me as I found out that I was accepted to UNM, Rutgers, and U of Iowa. All of them with funding packages. I honestly can't believe it and I'm wondering whether I'm dreaming.

I'm really really hoping everyone else gets accepted somewhere because I want you guys to be able to experience the way that I am feeling right now: happy, relieved and just grateful all around. We're still in January and February is on the way! Hang in there everyone!

Congrats potential cohort mate! I know how you feel, already getting acceptances from half of the schools I applied to is so surreal. I honestly feel a little guilty, I'm hoping others get good news in the near future.

51 minutes ago, wildflower21 said:

Rejection from Duke and waitlisted for Iowa. I feel disappointed that I didn't get an offer from Iowa, as this is my undergraduate institution and I earned a 4.02 GPA, spoke at commencement, work at campus research centers, and am highly involved in the Iowa City community. Trying to not take it personally, but I'm kind of freaking out now because Iowa was the lowest ranked school I applied to. So to not get accepted here makes me really scared to my chances at other schools.

Don't be discouraged, you have an amazing profile (especially someone coming out of undergrad)! I'm heavily considering the offer at Iowa and will most likely attend the recruitment day they have planned. That being said, Irvine is the dream school for me, so I expect you may get off the wait-list. 

28 minutes ago, soc4315 said:

Congrats potential cohort mate! I know how you feel, already getting acceptances from half of the schools I applied to is so surreal. I honestly feel a little guilty, I'm hoping others get good news in the near future.

Don't be discouraged, you have an amazing profile (especially someone coming out of undergrad)! I'm heavily considering the offer at Iowa and will most likely attend the recruitment day they have planned. That being said, Irvine is the dream school for me, so I expect you may get off the wait-list. 

thanks, I am still excited about possibilities and working to manage the anxiety/worries. Mindfulness is my savior right now haha

Sorry to be so negative, but I''ve basically given up at this point (I've heard nothing from Irvine, assumed rejection from UT and apparently CUNY is only fully funding 8 people this year) and 3/4 of the schools that are left are higher ranked than all of those that I've named, which means I don't stand a chance. The only school that's left is UCSD, but I feel like they're selective despite being lower ranked than the rest, so I doubt I'll get in there either. 

8 minutes ago, qualsoc2018 said:

Sorry to be so negative, but I''ve basically given up at this point (I've heard nothing from Irvine, assumed rejection from UT and apparently CUNY is only fully funding 8 people this year) and 3/4 of the schools that are left are higher ranked than all of those that I've named, which means I don't stand a chance. The only school that's left is UCSD, but I feel like they're selective despite being lower ranked than the rest, so I doubt I'll get in there either. 

It's okay to be negative, theres no need to fake anything you dont feel. All I can say is you wont actually know until you see it in writing and its official, plus theres still months left before all decisions are made. 

Either way im starting to feel very discouraged too and it really, really sucks. I used to be so confident i could get in somewhere, now I feel so unsure.

1 hour ago, pinoysoc said:

I already deactivated my Facebook. About to delete the social media apps on my phone. I just can't. I'm in no mood to argue with my mom trying to explain why it hurts. Or why it's hard to accept the "Maybe it's not time" speech.

Going to re-think life. 

@pinoysoc I'm so sorry you're having to argue with people about feeling hurt. The process is nowhere near over, so don't lose hope yet.

5 minutes ago, KevinJHa said:

It's okay to be negative, theres no need to fake anything you dont feel.

This is so important for self-care right now. Recognize your feelings instead of trying to hide them, and realize that each situation is different.

Honesty time - I’m excited to have gotten into NCSU, but at the same time it scares me that it could be the best program I get into and that means I’m not really as cut out for this field as I thought I was. It’s a rough spot. 

Fingers crossed for eceryone. I wish you all nothing but the best. 

7 hours ago, R1001 said:

I’ve been thinking the same thing, and Texas as well. It’s super annoying thinking you’re rejected but holding out that last bit of hope.

Seriously. Need to know!

6 hours ago, Goldie said:

I haven’t been checking portals at all; I assumed I would get an email if anything was decided. Has anyone received notification of a decision only by checking the portals?

Haha, something else to obsess over ?

Yea, check portals when you see other people from that school getting news. 

3 hours ago, MintChocoChip said:

Congrats!! :) I found out today too that I was accepted to U of Iowa with five years of funding.

Last week and today have been nuts for me as I found out that I was accepted to UNM, Rutgers, and U of Iowa. All of them with funding packages. I honestly can't believe it and I'm wondering whether I'm dreaming.

I'm really really hoping everyone else gets accepted somewhere because I want you guys to be able to experience the way that I am feeling right now: happy, relieved and just grateful all around. We're still in January and February is on the way! Hang in there everyone!

Congratulations <3 I hope you choose the program of your dreams!

3 hours ago, pinoysoc said:

I already deactivated my Facebook. About to delete the social media apps on my phone. I just can't. I'm in no mood to argue with my mom trying to explain why it hurts. Or why it's hard to accept the "Maybe it's not time" speech.

Going to re-think life. 

:(Stay strong!! You have so many schools you've yet to hear from. There's always hope. Personally, I just want to know if I'm getting rejected from everywhere already; if that happens, I can move forward with my life in other ways. News will help, even if it's bad news; but hang on and try to keep your head up. 

1 hour ago, qualsoc2018 said:

Rank isn't everything, so don't count every school out yet. We have a lot more waiting to do!

1 hour ago, ThePastelCalico said:

This is so important for self-care right now. Recognize your feelings instead of trying to hide them, and realize that each situation is different.

Honesty time - I’m excited to have gotten into NCSU, but at the same time it scares me that it could be the best program I get into and that means I’m not really as cut out for this field as I thought I was. It’s a rough spot. 

Fingers crossed for eceryone. I wish you all nothing but the best. 

You still have schools to hear from! Don't sweat it too much :)

Hope everyone is doing great! I haven't heard a thing from any school!! I have been waiting on Temple University (my undergrad school!) for their Sociology program. I called Friday and left a message w/ the Admissions Coordinator (why do I feel like we are BFF's at this point?!) but haven't heard anything. She told me last time we talked she would email me right away when she hears anything (I won't hold it to her, she is extremely busy). I just saw my first Temple Sociology acceptance on the results page dated 1/23. First one that has been listed. Has anyone else heard from Temple for the Sociology PHD and just not added it to the results page? My heart broke a little. This waiting game is taking a toll. I don't want to be annoying to them but I am freaking out!!

Hi all, Duke waitlist here, I'm not sure if this info was posted elsewhere, but my waitlist email said that Duke only accepted/will accept 7, and that the waitlist is 6 people, not numbered! They had 163 applicants... Which is an insane ratio!

7 minutes ago, EmC96 said:

Hi all, Duke waitlist here, I'm not sure if this info was posted elsewhere, but my waitlist email said that Duke only accepted/will accept 7, and that the waitlist is 6 people, not numbered! They had 163 applicants... Which is an insane ratio!

No wonder the rejections...I am guessing it must be the same with most of the universities. I have never been so anxious and nervous ever. 

3 hours ago, carolynb said:

I just saw my first Temple Sociology acceptance on the results page dated 1/23.

Hey, I'm sorry you haven't heard back from Temple yet - I'm still waiting on Emory to let me know about their recruitment weekend so I appreciate how hard the waiting period is! One thing I have noticed from the results page is that the UNC Chapel Hill results began coming out on 11th January and are still coming out! So it seems pretty clear to me that there are sometimes huge delays in responding to candidates, and just because one person found out already, doesn't mean you won't! Your POI might be out sick, the department is releasing admittances to related groups of students first (like people in the crime field, then people in health, etc), or they're just still deciding on the final candidates. It could be anything, and one admittance doesn't mean you're not in :)

8 hours ago, qualsoc2018 said:

Hey! It's okay to be negative of course, but why are you assuming that you couldn't get into a higher ranked program? Rejections happen all the time but usually it's partially because of fit, not just grades. If you have a better fit at the other schools, then you have just as good a chance at being accepted there too :)

6 hours ago, abenz said:

Hey, I'm sorry you haven't heard back from Temple yet - I'm still waiting on Emory to let me know about their recruitment weekend so I appreciate how hard the waiting period is! One thing I have noticed from the results page is that the UNC Chapel Hill results began coming out on 11th January and are still coming out! So it seems pretty clear to me that there are sometimes huge delays in responding to candidates, and just because one person found out already, doesn't mean you won't! Your POI might be out sick, the department is releasing admittances to related groups of students first (like people in the crime field, then people in health, etc), or they're just still deciding on the final candidates. It could be anything, and one admittance doesn't mean you're not in :)

Are you waiting for a recruitment weekend invite from Emory or for more information/itinerary for the weekend? 

5 minutes ago, Len said:

Are you waiting for a recruitment weekend invite from Emory or for more information/itinerary for the weekend

An invite! I wasn’t rejected last week but was told on Friday that the committee was still working. I’m international so always knew I wouldn’t be “going” to the weekend, but having Skype interviews if I do get asked for interview.

3 minutes ago, abenz said:

An invite! I wasn’t rejected last week but was told on Friday that the committee was still working. I’m international so always knew I wouldn’t be “going” to the weekend, but having Skype interviews if I do get asked for interview.

Ah, I hope you get the invite! I'm going to the recruitment this weekend and I'm so nervous (overwhelmingly excited...but also nervous). I'm just not sure what to expect and have gotten mixed information in searching online. From what I can tell, Emory offers acceptance to a larger pool than those who attend the recruitment weekend. They also accept a significant number of international students, so I'm wishing the best for you! 

9 minutes ago, abenz said:

Hopefully you get good news and an invite! Sending positive vibes your way

6 hours ago, abenz said:

Hey! It's okay to be negative of course, but why are you assuming that you couldn't get into a higher ranked program? Rejections happen all the time but usually it's partially because of fit, not just grades. If you have a better fit at the other schools, then you have just as good a chance at being accepted there too :)

Yeah, and my fit at the "higher ranked" schools I feel was better than my fit at UT anyway, but still...I guess I'm nervous because my application isn't perfect (GRE scores are average and my quant score is on the low side, my UG GPA is mediocre and I have a graduate coursework GPA that's the equivalent of 3.9-4.0 but it's from coursework I did abroad in a non-English speaking country in the native language (I'm an American) so I have no clue how adcomms will see that), I'm switching disciplines (from sociocultural anthropology to sociology) and I want to focus on ethnography/qualitative methods (which isn't that popular in sociology as far as I can tell)...but like you said, anything could happen, and I hope that I get some good news and that I don't get shut out of all 7 programs that I applied to

Edited by qualsoc2018

7 hours ago, abenz said:

One thing I have noticed from the results page is that the UNC Chapel Hill results began coming out on 11th January and are still coming out! So it seems pretty clear to me that there are sometimes huge delays in responding to candidates, and just because one person found out already, doesn't mean you won't! Your POI might be out sick, the department is releasing admittances to related groups of students first (like people in the crime field, then people in health, etc), or they're just still deciding on the final candidates. It could be anything, and one admittance doesn't mean you're not in :)

Second this for folks who are feeling anxious about schools that they've applied to contacting people, but not them. I had totally written off UNC, assuming they'd have sent everything out by the end of the week last week, and was stunned to get an acceptance via email yesterday. It's not over until it's over! Hang in there, friends.

On 1/30/2018 at 10:21 AM, KevinJHa said:

Just got invited to Northeastern open house next week via email! Northeastern was my last choice but I'm just happy I got something!!!!!!!

Congrats! I applied there also but have gotten nothing! So happy for you though, I know we both applied to CUNY and Northeastern and you've been anticipating something! I hope it goes well!

On 1/30/2018 at 11:21 AM, NinaMistina said:

Congrats! I applied there also but have gotten nothing! So happy for you though, I know we both applied to CUNY and Northeastern and you've been anticipating something! I hope it goes well!

Thank you so much ❤️ I'm ECSTATIC and trying not to cry at work. I hope you hear something soon!!