Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

pinoysoc

3 minutes ago, soc4315 said:

OMG!!! Congrats, that's incredible!

Does anyone know if decisions for the sociology PhD program at Cornell are released at the same time as the developmental? 

When I talked to current DSoc students at Cornell, they couldn't stress enough that the DSoc and the Soc programs are totally unrelated. They have like one "welcome the new cohorts" party together a year, but that's it.

16 minutes ago, soc4315 said:

OMG!!! Congrats, that's incredible!

Does anyone know if decisions for the sociology PhD program at Cornell are released at the same time as the developmental? 

I don’t think so, the deadline for soc dev was Dec 15 and for Sociology was after January 4. I think is too early for Cornell sociology decisions. 

17 minutes ago, qeta said:

When I talked to current DSoc students at Cornell, they couldn't stress enough that the DSoc and the Soc programs are totally unrelated. They have like one "welcome the new cohorts" party together a year, but that's it.

4 minutes ago, crimsociol said:

I don’t think so, the deadline for soc dev was Dec 15 and for Sociology was after January 4. I think is too early for Cornell sociology decisions. 

Thanks! That's comforting to know, I think haha. Just means more waiting. 

3 minutes ago, latemeg said:

I just got an email from UW Madison. The program has recommended me for admission, graduate school is just waiting on my official transcript. No acceptance letter yet, but O M F G 

I'm on top of the world. 5 more schools to hear from, but they can all be rejections for all I care. 

congrats!!!

3 minutes ago, latemeg said:

I just got an email from UW Madison. The program has recommended me for admission, graduate school is just waiting on my official transcript. No acceptance letter yet, but O M F G 

I'm on top of the world. 5 more schools to hear from, but they can all be rejections for all I care. 

I have apparently run out "reactions" to press on gradcafe, but HUUUUUUGE CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU!!!!!

8 minutes ago, abenz said:

congrats!!!

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, qeta said:

I have apparently run out "reactions" to press on gradcafe, but HUUUUUUGE CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU!!!!!

Thank you!

5 minutes ago, abenz said:

@latemeg, did you hear from your POI or the grad department itself?

From the graduate school. "Sociology PHD; has recommended you for admission. In order for Graduate School Administration to review your file we will need an official transcript from your bachelor's degree granting institution."

No acceptance letter yet. 

13 minutes ago, latemeg said:

I'm so happy to see all the good news :D Congrats!

20 minutes ago, latemeg said:

From the graduate school. "Sociology PHD; has recommended you for admission. In order for Graduate School Administration to review your file we will need an official transcript from your bachelor's degree granting institution."

Well I hope you get the official offer letter soon! Congrats again. I'm still waiting for news from all of mine ... has anyone received a rejection from UWM?

30 minutes ago, latemeg said:

This is amazing!!! CONGRATULATIONS! You are on top of the world!!

Also, just reminder to everyone that schools don't send out all their info at once. Even if people heard from a certain school already, that does NOT mean you're rejected or even necessarily waitlisted. You all have so much to offer each of these schools and this is just the beginning of the process!

I've been distracting myself with Doctor Who lately, in case anyone else is a fan. It's my first time watching and WOW what a roller coaster.

8 minutes ago, Madelene said:

Also, just reminder to everyone that schools don't send out all their info at once. Even if people heard from a certain school already, that does NOT mean you're rejected or even necessarily waitlisted. You all have so much to offer each of these schools and this is just the beginning of the process!

I co-sign the above. It was never apparent to me before, but schools seem to stagger their acceptances according to criteria not known to us. Berkeley's string of phone acceptances last Friday doesn't seem to signify much for other candidates except that they must wait some more.

Which Doctor Who season are you up to? I assume you're watching Nu-Who, rather than the classic series.

23 minutes ago, Madelene said:

I really hope that this is true, considering there are 3 UW-Madison acceptances on the results page already and I'm shaking thinking that I've been rejected from my dream program. 

20 minutes ago, qeta said:

I co-sign the above. It was never apparent to me before, but schools seem to stagger their acceptances according to criteria not known to us. Berkeley's string of phone acceptances last Friday doesn't seem to signify much for other candidates except that they must wait some more.

Which Doctor Who season are you up to? I assume you're watching Nu-Who, rather than the classic series.

Yes, THIS! I got a call on Friday from UNC and had already given up because people heard at the beginning of the week! With UNC at least, I know faculty were just calling at their leisure and it could still be another week or so. 

I started with Chris Eccleston and JUST got to Matt Smith. So far David Tennant is my favorite, but Matt is pretty endearing, too! My friend just sent me a sticker that says "Nevertheless she regenerated" and it is incredible!! 

8 minutes ago, ThePastelCalico said:

I really hope that this is true, considering there are 3 UW-Madison acceptances on the results page already and I'm shaking thinking that I've been rejected from my dream program. 

You have got this!! 3 out of what--25 or so? Even if it's less, this is just the beginning. Don't give up!

Edited by Madelene

7 minutes ago, Madelene said:

I started with Chris Eccleston and JUST got to Matt Smith. So far David Tennant is my favorite, but Matt is pretty endearing, too! My friend just sent me a sticker that says "Nevertheless she regenerated" and it is incredible!!

I loved Matt Smith's Doctor, but must say that the arc got way convoluted way fast. Can't wait for a full series of Jodie Whitaker's Doctor!

5 hours ago, crimsociol said:

The acceptance on the board is not mine, but I got mine yesterday by e-mail. The e-mail said they will send soon funding information, etc. It just said to save the date March 9 to attend the open house. Hope you get good news soon!

Was the email from the department or poi?

I emailed to the department yesterday but they have not replied.

I think I can assume rejection.

Anyway, big congrats!!

Would you mind sharing your profile to me? Thanks!

I keep checking my email every 5 minutes even though I've told myself not to check it for the rest of the night because I've got lawsuits to continue going over for my thesis, but it's so hard to work thinking that I've been rejected from UW-Madison. Anyone got any advice on how to not focus on the fear of a rejection?

14 minutes ago, ThePastelCalico said:

I keep checking my email every 5 minutes even though I've told myself not to check it for the rest of the night because I've got lawsuits to continue going over for my thesis, but it's so hard to work thinking that I've been rejected from UW-Madison. Anyone got any advice on how to not focus on the fear of a rejection?

Completely understand your anxiety. I do the same the all night. My sleeps all gone. :(

Am sure you have applied to other schools as well. Hope you get UW-Madison...but we need only one great school! And they are still sending out decisions..so hang in there. You have one school for sure. At least that should be motivation to stay positive. I have none yet and see the results page flooded with acceptances from the schools I applied too. Have faith and stay positive. Don’t fear rejection. It’s part of the process. Fingers crossed for you!

I was wondering would it be appropriate to email OSU and check on the status? Or I should just sit and wait?

5 minutes ago, tsh05 said:

I was wondering would it be appropriate to email OSU and check on the status? Or I should just sit and wait?

It seems there has already been an acceptance so I really don't see the harm in asking for an update to your application status. 

13 hours ago, abenz said:

I had some good news this morning! I got my dream job working as a researcher for a huge social research company. At least if I don’t get any offers I have a damned good back up plan :D

YESS!!! Congratulations! :D I'm so happy for you! That job sounds really awesome and that's a great alternative. Hoping you get to hear more good news from other schools.

7 hours ago, qeta said:

I got into Cornell Developmental Sociology!!! I can't believe this is real! I had to have my partner read the email to confirm, but it's true.

Congrats! That program sounds really cool. Lol I know I had to read my emails a few times to make sure I really did get accepted. 

3 hours ago, latemeg said:

WOW!! Congrats! That's so awesome @latemeg Really really happy you got in. Definitely celebrate. :)

1 hour ago, ThePastelCalico said:

Focus on the present instead of worrying about the possible futures. Rejection is just one possible future and it isn't set in stone. I distracted myself with other hobbies and I think doing something else and being mindful of what I was doing helped to keep my mind away from the applications process. So perhaps get back into other hobbies or even focus more on your thesis while keeping yourself in the present moment of doing them. I know it can be really hard when you've invested so much time and hard work, but it's also because you invested so much that you deserve to relax and enjoy other parts of life.

1 hour ago, ThePastelCalico said:

Your research sounds really interesting! I also study rural sociology (although not exclusively). UWM hasn't released all of their decisions, so don't lose hope yet. Congrats on the NC State acceptance!

3 hours ago, Madelene said:

Yes, THIS! I got a call on Friday from UNC and had already given up because people heard at the beginning of the week! With UNC at least, I know faculty were just calling at their leisure and it could still be another week or so. 

Congrats on UNC acceptance! Sorry I missed it before.

23 minutes ago, MintChocoChip said:

YESS!!! Congratulations! :D I'm so happy for you! That job sounds really awesome and that's a great alternative. Hoping you get to hear more good news from other schools.

Congrats! That program sounds really cool. Lol I know I had to read my emails a few times to make sure I really did get accepted. 

Thank you. Congrats on all of your acceptances - I'm so happy for you! Also congrats to @abenz, that jobs sounds like a perfect fit!

Edited by qeta
I'm terrible at tagging folks

Man, I'm so happy for everyone! It's so hard to just lurk now that everyone is getting some form of good news! I've been holding back from commenting because I'm starting to feel jealous and all the positive, supportive side of me has gone bitter : (

I remember Doctor Who saving me from the first time I got rejected from all 8 programs I applied too. The doctors brought me to the far end of time and space!

Really happy for everyone, but I'm seriously like getting bummed out that I got rejected already and not look forward to hearing about rejections from the other 6 schools I applied. 

Allons-y!

3 hours ago, socihk said:

Was the email from the department or poi?

I emailed to the department yesterday but they have not replied.

I think I can assume rejection.

Anyway, big congrats!!

Would you mind sharing your profile to me? Thanks!

Thank you! It is my first acceptance after Duke’s rejection, so I’m really excited. It was an e-mail from the department. I got an e-mail on Tuesday asking for more documents and an explanation about my transcripts so I think they are still reviewing things. 

Sure! I’m an international student (from Colombia). I did two undergrad programs at Colombia (not Columbia- Colombia) a BA in Economics and LLB in Law. Then did my masters degree in Law in the US and I’m currently finishing a JSD (it’s a research program after the masters in which you have to write a dissertation under the supervision of 3 faculty members). This is my second year applying (I got rejected from 8-10 schools last year). My GRE is not great (V157 Q158 AWA 5,0). I used the same GRE and the thing I did differently was that I contacted professors. I wrote a research proposal and started contacting professors to ask them feedback and any advice regarding the application. 

Let me know if you have any other question that I can help! And hopefully they are just taking more time to give you good news! 

5 hours ago, ThePastelCalico said:

Don't torture yourself--there's ALWAYS more days for decisions. More than likely, this is just the first wave; hang on! 

4 hours ago, MintChocoChip said:

WOW!! Congrats! That's so awesome @latemeg Really really happy you got in. Definitely celebrate. :)]

Thank you <3 I was driving when the email came in and had to pull over. What a roller coaster. 

3 hours ago, pinoysoc said:

Man, I'm so happy for everyone! It's so hard to just lurk now that everyone is getting some form of good news! I've been holding back from commenting because I'm starting to feel jealous and all the positive, supportive side of me has gone bitter : (

I remember Doctor Who saving me from the first time I got rejected from all 8 programs I applied too. The doctors brought me to the far end of time and space!

Really happy for everyone, but I'm seriously like getting bummed out that I got rejected already and not look forward to hearing about rejections from the other 6 schools I applied. 

Allons-y!

We're all rooting for each other!! Seriously, absolutely best of luck to you and everybody else, this shit is just super arbitrary. 

I'm shocked, frankly, with my GRE scores; I'm rereading my application materials because I really want to see why they're interested. (Think it's a lotto system? I kinda do.)