Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

pinoysoc

3 minutes ago, soc4315 said:

I can claim the Irvine interview. Praying it goes well, it's my first choice. Hopefully others will start getting good news as well. Sending positive vibes to y'all! 

Was the invite from people you indicated that you wanted to work with in your SOP or POI? Or was it from the department itself (I applied to Irvine and I haven't heard anything, yet I think it's a good fit for my work)?

4 minutes ago, qualsoc2018 said:

Was the invite from people you indicated that you wanted to work with in your SOP or POI? Or was it from the department itself (I applied to Irvine and I haven't heard anything, yet I think it's a good fit for my work)?

It was from the graduate director, who was also someone I mentioned in my SOP.

30 minutes ago, soc4315 said:

I can claim the Irvine interview. Praying it goes well, it's my first choice. Hopefully others will start getting good news as well. Sending positive vibes to y'all! 

Congrats! This might be the craziest week... E V E R!

The UC Irvine "touching base" interview entry was me. I was very surprised to receive an acceptance email a few hours later!! I never thought they would notify so quickly. I'm over the moon! It's not my top top choice but I would be VERY happy there.

Edited by manofthehoff

2 hours ago, manofthehoff said:

The UC Irvine "touching base" interview entry was me. I was very surprised to receive an acceptance email a few hours later!! I never thought they would notify so quickly. I'm over the moon! It's not my top top choice but I would be VERY happy there.

Congrats, @manofthehoff !

The variability in notification across schools is killing me. I feel like individually checking all 6 application portals is just a part of my morning routine now--coffee, then obsessively checking the results page here, then logging in to every portal and checking on my app. Decisions one way or another are really going to mess up my mornings. Lol

57 minutes ago, latemeg said:

The variability in notification across schools is killing me. I feel like individually checking all 6 application portals is just a part of my morning routine now--coffee, then obsessively checking the results page here, then logging in to every portal and checking on my app. Decisions one way or another are really going to mess up my mornings. Lol

Haha. I understand the feeling! I'm using in-between project breaks to check on things. 

Guys where is Emory? No postings for interview invites but they say the interviews are early Feb ... I’m so nervous I have terrible insomnia :(

17 minutes ago, abenz said:

Guys where is Emory? No postings for interview invites but they say the interviews are early Feb ... I’m so nervous I have terrible insomnia :(

The head of Emory's committee contacted me in December to let me know that the POI that I was a perfect match with was actually retiring at the end of this academic year - still tried to sell me on the department and other projects/POIs in it but it definitely significantly reduced my interest. Anyways, at that time he said they would begin "processing files in mid-January". Not sure if that means sending invites or literally reading files but hopefully this info helps you a little at least!! 

Thanks @2733amh that is useful. It just seems that they will have to inform candidates of their status soon for interviews and travel bookings, unless they aren’t doing interviews which would be a dream! Haha I can only hope (I’m an international candidate so interviews aren’t great for me as it’s skype based rather than a visit weekend) 

16 minutes ago, abenz said:

Thanks @2733amh that is useful. It just seems that they will have to inform candidates of their status soon for interviews and travel bookings, unless they aren’t doing interviews which would be a dream! Haha I can only hope (I’m an international candidate so interviews aren’t great for me as it’s skype based rather than a visit weekend) 

I am guessing he was estimating on the longer side at the time he spoke with me, so I wouldn't be surprised if they start contacting soon. He did mention the interview weekend so I am assuming that is still their plan this year. Keep waiting it out, it's coming for you soon!!! 

3 minutes ago, SociologyFanatic said:

Yes!! I was certain I'd hear back today. I just want to know either way! The waiting is excruciating. 

I am too! Minnesota is up there for me!

2 hours ago, SociologyFanatic said:

Yes!! I was certain I'd hear back today. I just want to know either way! The waiting is excruciating. 

2 hours ago, pinoysoc said:

I am too! Minnesota is up there for me!

Yeah, Minnesota is also one of my top choices. I think we should hear back today or tomorrow based on last year’s pattern because they sent them out on the Thursday and Friday of this week.

1 hour ago, ThePastelCalico said:

All of these interviews and acceptances have me anxious to hear about Wisconsin-Madison. Anyone know when to expect to hear anything? I don’t think they do interviews but I could be wrong and the waiting is killing me! 

Based on last year, it should be around the beginning of February. If you go to the results page and search sociology Wisconsin it should show you all the results from previous years, so you can get an idea of when they usually send out acceptances each year.