Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

pinoysoc

49 minutes ago, CandideCoating said:

That UNC acceptance is breaking my little heart right now. The fit for me at that department is magic. I want it so bad I can literally taste it. Congrats to the person accepted - take some breaths!

Don't worry! It's still early. I am surprised that they're coming in already!

5 minutes ago, Madelene said:

Damn, that was a kick in the gut! Absolutely true, and yet...here I am. ;)

Had to read it.

VERY SPOT ON!

I need a life and stop worrying, but damn!

I CAN'T UNSEE WHAT I'VE SEEN. FOR REAL!

I got the invite from Notre Dame (and accidentally entered it twice on the results board). The invite was friendly, though I'm very nervous about the visit. 

Is anybody else applying to Notre Dame? I know it's not in the T30, but is it still known as a competitive department? Any feedback or experiences about Notre Dame would be greatly appreciated!!

3 hours ago, abenz said:

Yes congrats to the UCLA admit!

Can I assume that all UC schools respond at different times, or will we start hearing back from other UCs soon?

UC's, if I'm not mistaken, don't release results together. Each school's departments are independent and do it based on their timeline. You can check out the results page. If not, can someone who's familiar enlighten us!

On 1/11/2018 at 8:29 PM, X.G said:

Hi, so I was the lucky one that made it to the UChicago short list. Anyone knows what kind of questions will be asked in the interview? 

Congrats! Someone last season posted a thread talking about a UChicago interview they had (it went badly according to that poster, but they got in regardless). Here are a few threads:

and 

and 

20 hours ago, michelle2424 said:

I got the invite from Notre Dame (and accidentally entered it twice on the results board). The invite was friendly, though I'm very nervous about the visit. 

Is anybody else applying to Notre Dame? I know it's not in the T30, but is it still known as a competitive department? Any feedback or experiences about Notre Dame would be greatly appreciated!!

Congrats! Notre Dame funds its admits; I considered applying but ultimately didn't. I've heard good things about their program.

9 hours ago, abenz said:

Yes congrats to the UCLA admit!

Can I assume that all UC schools respond at different times, or will we start hearing back from other UCs soon?

5 hours ago, pinoysoc said:

UC's, if I'm not mistaken, don't release results together. Each school's departments are independent and do it based on their timeline. You can check out the results page. If not, can someone who's familiar enlighten us!

@pinoysoc is right. The UC departments are completely independent. Source: UCB prof who was the head of adcomm last year.

9 hours ago, qeta said:

@pinoysoc is right. The UC departments are completely independent. Source: UCB prof who was the head of adcomm last year.

Thanks Qeta. I've applied to UCB but I'm really not holding out for good news haha. But any news from any of my schools would be so welcome!

I just found out that there's a perfect studentship for me at a UK university (a studentship is a fully funded place where, almost like a job, you apply to work on a project and support that with your own research, rather than designing a full independent research project). It's basically the exact niche field of research that I've listed on my SoP for American universities, so I'm back on the application treadmill from today! At least it's keeping me busy ...

Congrats to everyone who has heard good news so far and good luck to everyone still waiting!

Does anyone know if University of Chicago has sent out all their interviews?

20 hours ago, michelle2424 said:

Thank you, @latemeg !

20 hours ago, X.G said:

@latemegThanks a lot! This is really helpful. Hopefully I can secure this offer!

No worries guys! I believe in y'all :)

15 hours ago, soc4315 said:

I can claim one of the South Carolina acceptances. I wasn't expecting to hear back so early. Also got a pretty optimistic response from a POI at another university, so I'm freaking out haha

Congrats!!

29 minutes ago, Ryanrichmond said:

Congrats to everyone who has heard good news so far and good luck to everyone still waiting!

Does anyone know if University of Chicago has sent out all their interviews?

I feel like they may still send a few invites out, since they started on a Thursday; I'm holding tight until about Tuesday or Wednesday before I stop hoping for an email from them. That being said, my fit is pretty dubious at UChicago, so it's not exactly a shock if I don't get an interview. 

11 minutes ago, latemeg said:

No worries guys! I believe in y'all :)

Congrats!!

I feel like they may still send a few invites out, since they started on a Thursday; I'm holding tight until about Tuesday or Wednesday before I stop hoping for an email from them. That being said, my fit is pretty dubious at UChicago, so it's not exactly a shock if I don't get an interview. 

Yeah, same for me. There’s one professor who I would really like to work with, but other than that the fit isn’t the strongest.

22 minutes ago, Ryanrichmond said:

Yeah, same for me. There’s one professor who I would really like to work with, but other than that the fit isn’t the strongest.

Yeah. I feel like I'm strongest for UPenn and Northwestern, followed by IUB and UWM. UMichigan is like my dream because of their social epidemiology program(s) but you know, #1. Oh well. 

4 minutes ago, latemeg said:

Yeah. I feel like I'm strongest for UPenn and Northwestern, followed by IUB and UWM. UMichigan is like my dream because of their social epidemiology program(s) but you know, #1. Oh well. 

I'm so jealous! I'm so scared for UPenn. In my mind, I thought the UPenn and Penn State is the perfect program for me, but I'm seriously freaking about so many things that could go wrong!!!!!

Also, there's one new interview from UChicago and another South Carolina acceptance! Who are the lucky ducks!?!?! Lol.

Congrats and we look forward to hearing from you guys :)

14 hours ago, abenz said:

Thanks Qeta. I've applied to UCB but I'm really not holding out for good news haha.

@abenz I would love to go to UCB for many reasons, not least because I have an amazing relationship with my supervisor there. It's almost impossible to get in though, so I'm expecting bad news but hoping for good news. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a UCB acceptance for you too! Good luck with the UK app!

On 1/11/2018 at 4:25 AM, abenz said:

Just saw a Rutgers interview posted on the survey page! Good luck :)

Where are you guys seeing this??? Someone reached out to me on Thu for an interview for Rutgers and I just had it today. Do all programs have some list like this or something that I don't know about??

9 minutes ago, eilonwy21 said:

Where are you guys seeing this??? Someone reached out to me on Thu for an interview for Rutgers and I just had it today. Do all programs have some list like this or something that I don't know about??

Haha never mind - I see what everyone is talking about now I think

1 hour ago, eilonwy21 said:

What did they ask you? I got an interview invite from Notre Dame.

1 hour ago, eilonwy21 said:

Did the interview request arrive via email or did you have to check your status? 

16 hours ago, abenz said:

I just found out that there's a perfect studentship for me at a UK university (a studentship is a fully funded place where, almost like a job, you apply to work on a project and support that with your own research, rather than designing a full independent research project). It's basically the exact niche field of research that I've listed on my SoP for American universities, so I'm back on the application treadmill from today! At least it's keeping me busy 

That sounds awesome! Good luck with that studentship! I remember awhile back I saw that we had similar interests in health and picked a few of the same schools. Wishing us both luck! By the way, is one of your POIs for Yale Rene Almeling?