2018 Acceptances

4 minutes ago, klader said:

I wonder how many they are interviewing? 

According to the results board, there are at least three from gradcafe. I assume that includes the two of us though. I was hoping to find an answer on past threads, but I didn't have any luck when I searched "Syracuse" or "Composition and Cultural Rhetoric." 

16 hours ago, klader said:

Hi, all! I've been away from the forums, but I'm back to announce that this morning I got a call and was admitted to the University of Michigan's Joint PhD program in English and Education!!! And, also, yesterday I received an invitation to Purdue University's student recruitment event for the English department... But I haven't been accepted or anything yet? 

Has anyone else been invited to the Purdue prospective student event? I apologize, because I have not been keeping up with the forums.

Congratulations on this and your interview!!!!!!!!

15 hours ago, Crow T. Robot said:

Sorry to spam this entire forum with my unhealthy Duke Literature obsession, but I just got an email response from the DGS informing me that I'm on the waitlist!!!!!!! Not exactly the news I was hoping for, and I know my chances of getting in off that list are low (but not zero--it's happened before!), but the dream is alive.

@Mellowyellow

Congratulations!! Sending good vibes so you find your way off the waitlist!!

On 2/2/2018 at 3:45 PM, mk-8 said:

Did anyone get an email about Purdue’s prospective students day? 

I received the email, (which says to RSVP by Monday, Feb 5--eek!) but I don't think I'll be able to swing the visit.

Does anyone know whether the visit plays into admissions decisions? Do they invite ALL 600+ people who apply, or do they invite some secret list of invisible waitlisters?

16 minutes ago, EspritHabile said:

I received the email, (which says to RSVP by Monday, Feb 5--eek!) but I don't think I'll be able to swing the visit.

Does anyone know whether the visit plays into admissions decisions? Do they invite ALL 600+ people who apply, or do they invite some secret list of invisible waitlisters?

Someone mentioned earlier that they didn't get the invite so I'd imagine that they don't invite all applicants.  I imagine they have some sort of 'target' because otherwise the event would likely exceed the budget they set aside for it.

21 minutes ago, EspritHabile said:

I applied to Purdue, and I can attest to the fact that they do not invite all of the people who applied. I haven't heard anything from them. 

I assume it's a good sign that you were invited ;)

11 minutes ago, Wooshkuh said:

I applied to Purdue, and I can attest to the fact that they do not invite all of the people who applied. I haven't heard anything from them. 

I was also not invited. Looks like a great sign for @EspritHabile!!

18 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Someone mentioned earlier that they didn't get the invite so I'd imagine that they don't invite all applicants.  I imagine they have some sort of 'target' because otherwise the event would likely exceed the budget they set aside for it.

Ok, that would make sense. The letter I received indicated that they would provide meals for the 2 (or 3) days of the visit, provide overnight accommodations with current students as hosts, and reimburse up to $250 in travel expenses. Unfortunately, there's just no way I can feasibly haul myself there for the visit. :(

13 minutes ago, Wooshkuh said:

I'm sorry you haven't heard from them. :( FWIW, I heard about the visit day very late so I doubt I'm topping any lists.

Edit to respond to @Wabbajack :  Thank you! I can't help but feel like my not being able to attend the visit will somehow dash my chances of getting an admission offer though. 

Edited by EspritHabile

I wasn't invited to it either, FYI (was asking for a friend who was very confused), and don't fret about radio silence from Purdue. As long as you aren't rejected, you're still in the running there. No idea if you'll receive acceptance before or after the event, though.

3 minutes ago, Wooshkuh said:

@EspritHabile: No problem. It looks like you've already received some good news. I hope it continues for you! 

Thank you! You and I have very similar backgrounds and concerns about going back to school. I have a great full-time gig, too, and I do the work I would be going to school to learn how to do. I guess that makes me a late bloomer or something, right?

6 minutes ago, mk-8 said:

No idea if you'll receive acceptance before or after the event, though.

Looking at last year's forum posts, it seems like Purdue started notifying next week (which would be after the deadline to RSVP). 

4 minutes ago, Wabbajack said:

@EspritHabile If it's one of your top choices, I would make every effort to attend. 

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how on earth I'd make that happen. I work full-time and taking off 2-3 days is really tricky at this point in the semester. 

1 hour ago, EspritHabile said:

I straight up asked about the status of my application, and the DGS said she'd have the final report by Monday but that I'm a "highly ranked candidate."

So, I think this could mean those who are invited are either a.) admitted but they can't say so yet, b.) highly-ranked who, even if not admitted first round, are on the invisble wait list/someone they feel who would likely be admitted, or c.) they're using this visit to gauge interest among highly-ranked candidates somehow? The email said "so we can show you what we can offer," so I definitely do not feel like it's an interview-type setting (Syracuse's email made the interview aspect very, very clear). 

No idea, but check/stalk your email tomorrow!!! Also, I'm sure it's fine if you express interest in the program but explain that you can't attend. I'm lucky in that it's within a reasonable driving range for me, otherwise I don't know if I could attend, either. 

Which program did you apply to, may I ask? Lit, rhet/comp, etc? 

Oh, also re: Purdue, I wanted to note how early the visit is: Feb 19th and 20th. So, they may be trying to make sure people can attend even though they haven't gotten all the admission stuff straightened out yet?!?! I feel like there is a lot of admin stuff involved in admissions that slows down the process 

UH, YOU GUYS.

Like @klader, I was surprised that Purdue's visit date is so early. I curiously checked the portal, my emails, and all the other helpful "how to write an SOP" messages from them and saw no mention of the February dates. For gits and shiggles, I just googled "Purdue English February 19" and THIS is what I found:

https://www.cla.purdue.edu/students/future/admittedstudents/events.html

4 minutes ago, EspritHabile said:

UH, YOU GUYS.

Like @klader, I was surprised that Purdue's visit date is so early. I curiously checked the portal, my emails, and all the other helpful "how to write an SOP" messages from them and saw no mention of the February dates. For gits and shiggles, I just googled "Purdue English February 19" and THIS is what I found:

https://www.cla.purdue.edu/students/future/admittedstudents/events.html

Omg?!? Is this for undergrad or grad, though?! 

I have no idea!!!!!!

*cue screaming*

I only just realized that page is about UG admissions. But still! Wouldn't it make sense for them to stack admissions visits? Or is this secret code that they're going to interview people? Is it Monday yet????

Edited by EspritHabile

Okay, reading through the links, I am pretty sure it's for undergrads... Definitely seems so? But they may have just wanted to time it all together?! Because our visit is also on the 20th

12 minutes ago, EspritHabile said:

I have no idea!!!!!!

*cue screaming*

I only just realized that page is about UG admissions. But still! Wouldn't it make sense for them to stack admissions visits? Or is this secret code that they're going to interview people? Is it Monday yet????

I really don't think they're doing interviews! I have a friend who was admitted last year -- she was admitted 1/31 and then was later invited to the event. 

So, I feel like they're maybe just behind on notifications this year?! 

Gosh, I don't even know if I can sleep because I'm so anxious now! Lol. 

Edited by klader

9 minutes ago, klader said:

Okay, reading through the links, I am pretty sure it's for undergrads...

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I can't find any mention of grad visits or events for Feb 19-20, but it does seem to me that it would be easier to handle All The Visits TM at once. . .