2018 Acceptances

4 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

None of my friends who went to California for work have come back to Ohio lol. So I'm guessing it's pretty damn good. 

Let's see: California nice weather almost all the time, Ohio it's so freaking cold or so freaking hot.  But seriously, both states have good and bad.  

9 minutes ago, ltr317 said:

Let's see: California nice weather almost all the time, Ohio it's so freaking cold or so freaking hot.

You're not wrong, @ltr317!

4 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Yay, @FreakyFoucault!! There you go. Congrats for getting into a top notch school with a BA!!! #goals

Thanks, friend :D

31 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

I've never been to Cali before -- I can't wait to visit! 

Firstly, congrats dude!!

Secondly, word of advice, when you're in Northern California, it's "California", never "Cali" (additionally, San Francisco is "the city" or "SF" NEVER "San Fran"). Once you have that down, you'll fit right in :D

5 minutes ago, mads47 said:

Firstly, congrats dude!!

Secondly, word of advice, when you're in Northern California, it's "California", never "Cali" (additionally, San Francisco is "the city" or "SF" NEVER "San Fran"). Once you have that down, you'll fit right in :D

THANK YOU! This will certainly make me seem less of a Midwestern schlub! 

2 hours ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

Congrats!! California here you come, (not quite) where you started from. Callliiiiffffooooorrrrnnniiiaaaaaaaaaaa

(Sorry, as a former Californian, I had to)

My roommate used to listen to this one all the time after our road trip on the West side. The song went from exciting to sad for me, now! Okay; I'm trying to say that I'm dying to visit again.

I spend almost as much time here as I do in the history forum.  Maybe I should apply for a combo History-English Phd?  Oh wait, I think it's called American Studies.  I knew I should have been more open-minded.  

4 minutes ago, ltr317 said:

Thanks.  You're always welcome to peek in the History forum if you so desire. 

I have a strange feeling that to access that forum, one would need a password that alludes to some arcane historical event that only smart historians know. If that's the case, help a bro out! 

14 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

I have a strange feeling that to access that forum, one would need a password that alludes to some arcane historical event that only smart historians know. If that's the case, help a bro out! 

Yeah, arcane and ancient.  Something the free-masons thought of.  The password is swordfish from the Marx Brothers.  But to enter the portal just say swordfish from Karl Marx.  That's the secret. 

3 minutes ago, ltr317 said:

Yeah, arcane and ancient.  Something the free-masons thought of.  The password is swordfish from the Marx Brothers.  But to enter the portal just say swordfish from Karl Marx.  That's the secret. 

hahahaha omg if there were actually a password, that'd be it. 10/10. 

Hello all. Have also been lurking a few days but can’t take the stress of the application cycle alone...two unofficial rejections under the belt...Austin and Chicago (congrats to all who got in)...eight to go...and I have just about lost all hope already. Make that three unofficial rejections...haven’t heard from Northwestern either. How does anyone stay sane with this?

11 minutes ago, D13charlie said:

Hello all. Have also been lurking a few days but can’t take the stress of the application cycle alone...two unofficial rejections under the belt...Austin and Chicago (congrats to all who got in)...eight to go...and I have just about lost all hope already. Make that three unofficial rejections...haven’t heard from Northwestern either. How does anyone stay sane with this?

Welcome!

Northwestern may not be done notifying yet. And I'm not sure anyone does stay sane with all of this.

Congrats, @M(allthevowels)H and @FreakyFoucault!!!!!! 

I am late to this party, but..... I also got accepted to Rice!! Couldn't return the DGS's call since I was at work and almost nobody in my office knows I'm applying to PhD programs... but I am very excited! I've visited Rice before for a grad symposium and I adore their department.

On another, more desperate note, does anyone know if Duke Literature is done notifying? @Warelin? I interviewed last week and the DGS said I could expect to hear back this week... nothing. At least one person got an email from them last night with an invite to the next-round in-person interview. Should I give up hope? Duke Literature is my absolute dream program and I've worked for the past, like, 2 years to try to get into there specifically and I'm not sure when to give up.

Also, apologies for the triple post and sorry for the delay on this, but @mk-8, @unicornsarereal, and all other Austin acceptees, definitely feel free to PM me with Austin questions! I'm pretty new to town myself, but I'll do my best to answer em.

7 minutes ago, Crow T. Robot said:

On another, more desperate note, does anyone know if Duke Literature is done notifying? @Warelin? I interviewed last week and the DGS said I could expect to hear back this week... nothing. At least one person got an email from them last night with an invite to the next-round in-person interview. Should I give up hope? Duke Literature is my absolute dream program and I've worked for the past, like, 2 years to try to get into there specifically and I'm not sure when to give up.

I wish my post can be positive. If people were being called for an in-person interview, I'd say chances are good that there is still hope. However, since the person was invited via e-mail, there's a high chance that those lists were created using Excel or Access so multiple people were e-mailed at similar times. I don't think universities personalize anything unless it's an acceptance or a personalized rejection commenting on a specific aspect of your application.

(Diuke: Feel free to prove me wrong and e-mail @Crow T. Robot)

8 minutes ago, Warelin said:

I wish my post can be positive. If people were being called for an in-person interview, I'd say chances are good that there is still hope. However, since the person was invited via e-mail, there's a high chance that those lists were created using Excel or Access so multiple people were e-mailed at similar times. I don't think universities personalize anything unless it's an acceptance or a personalized rejection commenting on a specific aspect of your application.

(Diuke: Feel free to prove me wrong and e-mail @Crow T. Robot)

Right, that's my fear. Still, I interpreted what the DGS said last week to mean that we could expect to hear back this week either way, whether we make it to the next round or not... that's the strange part, and also the cause for my small sliver of unreasonable hope. But alas, it is probably not to be.

1 hour ago, Warelin said:

Welcome!

Northwestern may not be done notifying yet. And I'm not sure anyone does stay sane with all of this.

Thanks! Fingers crossed.

I already got desperate and emailed the grad student who emailed me about my application a few times. I haven't had a response yet but I took the same approach with Austin (emailed the grad coordinator for English) and they confirmed that they were done with their first round offers. I just need to try and cut down on the waiting time. I've got two dissertations to finish for April. At this rate, never mind the PhD; the undergraduate degree may be out the window if I can't stop with the obsessive email checks and application reviews. I am sure a lot of people here are in a similar boat!

Edited by D13charlie

56 minutes ago, D13charlie said:

Thanks! Fingers crossed.

I already got desperate and emailed the grad student who emailed me about my application a few times. I haven't had a response yet but I took the same approach with Austin (emailed the grad coordinator for English) and they confirmed that they were done with their first round offers. I just need to try and cut down on the waiting time. I've got two dissertations to finish for April. At this rate, never mind the PhD; the undergraduate degree may be out the window if I can't stop with the obsessive email checks and application reviews. I am sure a lot of people here are in a similar boat!

You'll be okay. You'll be able to finish your BA, trust me. April is still pretty far away :) 

You need to allow yourself to be sad for a little while, so that you can get past it and carry on with your life. We're pretty disheartened with the process, but if we weren't some kind of strong we wouldn't have made it through the process. So... you'll be alright! My cheap two cents.

14 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

You'll be okay. You'll be able to finish your BA, trust me. April is still pretty far away :) 

You need to allow yourself to be sad for a little while, so that you can get past it and carry on with your life. We're pretty disheartened with the process, but if we weren't some kind of strong we wouldn't have made it through the process. So... you'll be alright! My cheap two cents.

That's a good two cents. 

Hi, all! I've been away from the forums, but I'm back to announce that this morning I got a call and was admitted to the University of Michigan's Joint PhD program in English and Education!!! And, also, yesterday I received an invitation to Purdue University's student recruitment event for the English department... But I haven't been accepted or anything yet? 

Has anyone else been invited to the Purdue prospective student event? I apologize, because I have not been keeping up with the forums.